Gerald - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2023, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: Gerald
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Gerald

I am a 80 year old senior with a Casita. I have a 2013 Ridgeline TV. We travel mostly around Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado. I am thinking of rewarding myself with a new TV. I like the F150 Hybrid, the hp, the Power Onboard system to power the trailer when needed, and the driver assist software. What a difference ten years make. I am thinking of a fall trip to New England and Canada. I would appreciate any comments from experienced campers.
gdchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Here is a thread about hybrid tow vehicles https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...e-93819-2.html IMO the F150 is an excellent choice for towing a Casita.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:19 PM   #3

Name: Roland
Illinois
F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdchristian View Post
I am a 80 year old senior with a Casita. I have a 2013 Ridgeline TV. We travel mostly around Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado. I am thinking of rewarding myself with a new TV. I like the F150 Hybrid, the hp, the Power Onboard system to power the trailer when needed, and the driver assist software. What a difference ten years make. I am thinking of a fall trip to New England and Canada. I would appreciate any comments from experienced campers.
I just bought an f150 XLT with the 3.5 engine. 11,000 lbs tow capacity. It also has several 120 volt 15 amp circuits. I think most fords have driver assist. If I just pulled a Casita I think I would consider the smaller V6.
I love a hybrid car but haven’t decided about a truck yet. I think in cold weather the truck might struggle to tow a trailer in mountainous terrain.
Roland twodux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:31 PM   #4

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
One year with the Ford Powerboost

We have been driving our '23 Powerboost for about 12 months, and 16,000 miles. Its not perfect, but so far the problems have been taken care of by Ford. We bought it to tow our 2013 Escape 19, and for all the other stuff that happens when you have a truck.

Overall, I really love this truck. Economy around town usually sits at 22mpg, higher if there is highway mileage involved. My granddaughter and her parents live about 45 miles away, all highway, and not uncommon to see 27mpg or more on that trip. Super comfortable, easy to drive forward or backwards.

I like the backup assist. I can back a trailer in to most spots without it. (Been doing this for 35 years out of the last 71) But the backup assist is helpful for me.

We towed our Escape 19 on two big trips so far with the new truck. From NE Ohio to Estes Park and then down to Taos before coming home. In September, Ohio to Yosemite/Sequoia and back. Took our time, wandered around some. Overall towing mileage was about 14mpg. (Can't find my notes!) On the road, crossing the mountains, with cruise control on, you don't hardly know the Escape 19 is back there.

We are lifelong campers and don't use much electricity when camped. Almost all of our camping is dry. Hook ups used only rarely at a KOA along the road. The two 6v batteries and the 200watt portable solar does the job for us. I got the 7.2kW ProPower option just because...who knows...maybe someday I will want the A/C or the microwave when off the grid! Or an ice storm at home, although I need 100' or so of #12AWG extension cord to reach the furnace in the basement from the driveway. (So far it has worked flawlessly when connected to the vacuum cleaner while cleaning out the interior at home.)

We have the 6.5' bed, which with the SuperCrew cab makes this truck about a foot longer than our 2013 F150 Ecoboost. But we like the longer bed to carry the bikes, leaving space for water, portable propane, blocks, at the tailgate. But, that 1 extra foot makes a difference to me when I back up!

Have fun out there!

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
F150 with Escape.jpg  
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 12:17 PM   #5

Name: Gerald
Texas
Thanks for sharing your experience.
gdchristian is offline   Reply With Quote