Good Morning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #1

Name: Annette
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
Good Morning

Good Morning to All

We brand new to the forum! We are currently searching for our first Casita; we stumbled across the Casita while investigating small trailers and a new obsession has begun.

We're looking forward to being part of the forum and learning more about the good and the bad of Fiberglass RVs. Thank you for allowing us to be apart of this special group.

Thanks!
Chris and Annette
Izzyluvstotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome Chris and Annette, to our little fiberglass world. Please tells us what your tow vehicle is as that may make a difference on your choice. Also try to attend some rallies, listed under that forum section to allow you to see a lot of different models in one place.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #3

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
There are also Olivers from Tennessee and I have a Lil Snoozy which was manufactured S Carolina. There are lots of molded fiberglass trailers to check out! I lurked on the RV Travel and teardrop/converted stealth vans website for 12 YEARS before push came to shove and I committed &ordered mine. I did have to buy a new tow vehicle,. but since DH and I tend to drive our cars into the ground it was getting to be time for a newer vehicle anyway. What we discovered looking for a TV! Oh my! Backup cameras is one of the biggies. Wonderful invention!

Our Carship Enterprise, as we call her- has a 7500 lb tow capacity and our Lil Snoozy was weighed in at the local truckstop at 2,430.We can upgrade any time we want. At this time we have our needs met just fine. One of the biggest ways to check out molded fiberglasses is to attend a rally. Although most of them are somewhat specializing in one variety or another there are always a couple of non comformists. I would never have known of the Suwannee Musical Parkiof I hadn't attended a rally, There are usually open houses scheduled and most of us are pleased and proud to show off our rigs.
So I hope you guys have fun doing your research and in your new campers!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Chris and Annette!

As others have pointed out there are a number of other trailers out there that share the common advantage of an all-molded fiberglass shell, some more common in your neck of the woods. You would do well to consider them all. But in the end, if Casita is the one for you, you do well!

There's a fair bit of misinformation out there about how much these trailers weigh, which has ramifications for the tow vehicle you'll need. You can peruse the data in the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World to get a more realistic picture. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Welcome Chris and Annette!

A convenient way to see several brands and models of molded fiberglass campers is to attend a rally (even for just a few hours). I suggest you attend the Algonac Glassic Egg Scramble to be held at Algonac State Park on Sept. 7-9. At latest count there will be 41 campers, and at least 1 Casita. Here's the link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-82469.html

Also, there are a couple of Casitas showing up on Craigslist at this link (incl. one in Grand Rapids and one in Lansing):

https://detroit.craigslist.org/searc...nearbyArea=252
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #6

Name: Annette
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
We have a Chevy Colorado V6 and the tow capacity is up to 7,000 #'s The rallies is a great suggestion thank you.
Thank you for the other fiberglass suggestions. Definitely going to check them out. If we do get a Casita we are hoping for one later than 2002 which is when I believe they changed the back window to accommodate for refrigerator changes. I will certainly check out all of your suggestions thank you all.

t
Izzyluvstotravel is offline   Reply With Quote