Good Stuff - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Florida
Registry
Good Stuff

I am glad to have found this forum. We are looking at a 2004 Bigfoot and want to buy it but a little leary about the age. We are new at this and want to be careful.
zorrou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I bought my 1991 Bigfoot 3 years ago. Aside from problems even new trailers have, it's been solid. No regrets. If treated well, these things last. You just need to do your work to make sure this one has been treated well. If so, the next person who buys it 20 years from now will still get a solid trailer.

So you're right to be careful, but there's no reason a 2004 or even much older can't be an excellent trailer. Just be prepared that all trailers are work, in my experience. You've got all the systems of a home, except bouncing down the road. There will be issues.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns?
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Mike! We have several Bigfoot owners I'm sure can advise you before making your purchase.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Zach is spot on. There's no reason to rule out a 15-year-old molded fiberglass trailer, but there is reason to do a careful pre-purchase inspection.

A few suggestions about that... (1) Download, print, and use the Buyer's Checklist (from the Document Center in the "More" tab). (2) Take a friend, relative, or neighbor with RV experience to inspect the trailer with you. (3) Pay a nearby RV repair shop to do a pre-purchase inspection. Unless the seller has a long line of buyers waiting or something to hide, they will likely cooperate with you on the inspection.

Two things I would be most concerned about... (1) Appliances. They can be expensive to replace. Test to make sure they work. If any don't, that should be reflected in the price. (2) Leak damage, especially in the floor. Bigfoot has a plywood subfloor and furring inside the walls and ceiling. If a window or vent has been leaking, there could be mold and/or rot. Feel for soft spots in the floor, tap around inside lower cabinets and benches, and look for any staining around windows and roof vents (a little from condensation might be considered normal and acceptable).

Molded fiberglass has a distinct advantage over many other RV's in that there are no seams and corners on the exterior to develop leaks. That's one reason a 15-year-old trailer is worth a closer look.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote