Got us a Boler! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

Name: Wildwood_Boler
Trailer: 1 small simple relatively stock Boler
Alberta
Registry
Got us a Boler!

Hello,
We found ourselves a mid-seventies Boler "Honey" last year and will be taking it across Canada this year. Although our Boler is out in the snow, it is time to start prepping it for the big trip. I would be interested in meeting other Boler owners in Calgary and hearing about their renovations - maybe having a look at their trailers too. Ours is quite original and we are trying to keep it as light and simple as possible for now. We have only towed it a couple thousand kilometers so far, all behind a 2005 Subaru Outback XT (standard transmission turbo charged 4 cylinder engine). It tows quite nice (even over the Rockies to Revelstoke), but we are wondering about adding trailer brakes. I'm thinking about improving the 110 and 12 volt systems before the big trip, doing the vertglas treatment, and ordering new cushions from Scamp. We already replaced all the tires. I'll dig through our photos and get some up on the site. See our trailer profile here: Wildwood's Trailer :: the boler
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here. We love pictures! When you can unbury the Boler from the snow... let us see what it looks like
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Hello from Manitoba

Hello and welcome! You will find some great people and a ton of information on this site. Hope to see some pictures and maybe see you in person as you travel across Canada. Don't forget about the Manitoba Fiberglass Rally on August 19-21...there are several Bolers registered along with Scamps, Trilliums, Venture and Surfsides! Enjoy!
Roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Hello,
We found ourselves a mid-seventies Boler "Honey" last year and will be taking it across Canada this year. Although our Boler is out in the snow, it is time to start prepping it for the big trip. I would be interested in meeting other Boler owners in Calgary and hearing about their renovations - maybe having a look at their trailers too. Ours is quite original and we are trying to keep it as light and simple as possible for now. We have only towed it a couple thousand kilometers so far, all behind a 2005 Subaru Outback XT (standard transmission turbo charged 4 cylinder engine). It tows quite nice (even over the Rockies to Revelstoke), but we are wondering about adding trailer brakes. I'm thinking about improving the 110 and 12 volt systems before the big trip, doing the vertglas treatment, and ordering new cushions from Scamp. We already replaced all the tires. I'll dig through our photos and get some up on the site. See our trailer profile here: Wildwood's Trailer :: the boler
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hello and welcome Wildwood
We towed our Boler from Ontario, up the Yellowhead to Edmonton, to Grand Prairie, to Jasper area and then down to Dinosaur Prov. Pk and then back across the Prairies to Southern Ontario last summer. We have never put brakes on it in the 17 years that we've had it and have never encountered a problem. Adding brakes however would probably give your Subaru some better stopping power.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #5

Name: Alison
Trailer: 1974 Aer-flo 14R
Nova Scotia
Registry
Hello and welcome!

Hi Wildwood.

I am from Nova Scotia and would like to let you know if you are going east; rally in PEI. All the info is on the rally section. We have quite a few trailers registered even from the US. We will be there July 22 -24 weekend at the KOA in Cornwall. Hopefully we will see you there.
Alison Cape Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Welcome from Ontario
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #7

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm a big fan of trailer brakes, but I used to haul horses around and loads were much heavier and brakes really mattered. Even so, I like the stopping power I have now that I've gotten the Burro on the road, with the added safety bonus of the emergency breakaway brake function.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Cool Headed for NS/NFLD/PEI/NB

Thanks Alison,

Not entirely sure on any dates yet, but we do expect a stop in PEI, so I'll see if we can fit it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Cape Breton View Post
Hi Wildwood.

I am from Nova Scotia and would like to let you know if you are going east; rally in PEI. All the info is on the rally section. We have quite a few trailers registered even from the US. We will be there July 22 -24 weekend at the KOA in Cornwall. Hopefully we will see you there.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
Hello and welcome! You will find some great people and a ton of information on this site. Hope to see some pictures and maybe see you in person as you travel across Canada. Don't forget about the Manitoba Fiberglass Rally on August 19-21...there are several Bolers registered along with Scamps, Trilliums, Venture and Surfsides! Enjoy!
Roland
Hey Roland. We will keep the Manitoba rally in mind. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Welcome to your trailer brakes.

Welcome to the "Egg World".

As far as brakes, have you looked into your owner's manual for the Subaru?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H
Welcome to the "Egg World".

As far as brakes, have you looked into your owner's manual for the Subaru?
Uh, yeah, good idea. Manual says brakes for any load over 1000 lbs. So, now to look at how to add the brakes! Thanks for the great suggestion. How did you go about this with your Subaru? Were the brakes already in place on your trailer?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Wildwood...If you're down this way in mid July Ontario Bolerama is at Long Beach Conservation area...near Wainfleet Ont. July 15th.-18th. Lots of different "Glass" to see. Electric sites by reservations, showups are boondocking in the group site. All are welcome!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hello Wildwood

I am also in Calgary and new to the Boler experience. I think the snowdrift around mine is finally down enough to bring it home this weekend. My 1974 is also stock and needs some 110V TLC, some 12V work, .... Would be happy to meet up and share ideas.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #14

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
Bolers are great. Used to have one. Look forward to seeing your pics!
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler