Greetings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Smile Greetings

Yesterday I got a trailer hitch, brake controller, and, trans cooler installed on my tug, a 2011 Honda Odyssey minivan. Recently I've determined that my ideal Egg would be a used 16' side dinette Scamp a 15' or a 17' Escape. The Scamp seems the most likely due to my budget, which is no more than $10,000. About a year ago I almost bought a 17' Casita, but backed out due to the weight of the rig. They are heavier than the Scamps and Escapes and when I go out I like to take a lot of stuff with me, so weight is important. I'd also condsider other Egg brands if they meet my weight concern and other preferences. I am back in the market for a trailer, and thrilled to be so!

Yesterday a good looking 1998 deluxe Scamp (16') sold in St. George, UT for just $6,500. I was second in line to buy it, it sold in less than 24 hours after showing up on Craig's list. It seemed like a good deal but I just wasn't fast enough. I had offered to PayPal a deposit to hold the rig but another party had been to see it and just needed to return the following day with the cash: which they did.

Knowing that the good ones go fast I hope to find one prior to its being advertised. Also, I want to pay a fair (not a premium price). Additionally, it seems to me, that it would be best to buy my used dream trailer came from someone who has owned it for a while and knows all about it. Ideally the trailer will be located less than 800 miles from So. California (where I live) and be in excellent condition.

What is excellent condition? I'd guess my year range would be 1988 to about 2000. Does excellent mean that the rig was stored inside, under an awning, or always stored covered? Or if it was well-maintained and not in the rust belt could it have been stored out in the elements and still be a good one? The one in St. George had some rust on the tongue and bumper and was being resold after recently purchased. For me it certainly means that it doesn't smell like tobacco or have food smells. It also means that everything works and maintenance is current. What does excellent mean to you?

I hope to get ahead of the adds by buying from someone prior to them advertising. Perhaps you know someone with a suitable trailer for me and can help us to get in touch, your help will be greatly appreciated.

A year ago I was a member under a different e-mail address, I am glad to be back because I know there are many awesome people in this group!
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Steve and to the Forum,

Your a ways a away so I can't help you with your trailer hunt but you seem to be on the right track already. There's a buyers check list in the help section of the forum that I found very useful when I was purchasing. There's also this website.http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/ A great tool but not always up to the immediate date!

You mentioned you cary lots of gear. Some astronomy equipment might I guess?
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

California
Hi Mark,

I do visual astronomy. My gear consists of a 15" Obsession with digital setting circles, a 4" refractor, binocs, eyepieces, chairs, tables, etc. I had noticed your photo of Jupiter so I figured you were also interested in astronomy. Often I go out with a small group of other dedicated guys, most of whom are doing imaging. A friend just retired and upgraded to a 25" and also has a 13' Scamp which I think is very nice. That got me to thinking why don't I get a small trailer too, it will sure be nice to sleep in out of the cold and also have a warm place to look at charts, lists, and, observing handbooks.

Thanks for responding. What type of astronomy are you involved with?

Steve
Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #4

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
We've been to some stargazing parties before we had our trailer and pitched a tent. I'd see the folks with the trailers and think that was how i'd like to do it.
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #5

California
Hi Gary & Sonja,

Thank you for getting back to me about your trailer. I've done some checking and going to stay focused on a Scamp. Your trailer looks great and I hope you find a good home for it.

Nice to hear you got out under the stars, it's so nice to take in some dark sky!

Steve
Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Living in Vancouver, BC limits my astronomy actives. Very rarely is there good seeing. Mostly it's cerebral. I belong to the Vancouver branch of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. They have monthly lectures I really enjoy. I have taken my Boler to some remote areas and combined my two hobbies of bird watching and Astronomy. I love planetary viewing but bring a star hopping book as well. I have some dim red LED bulbs for the trailer which makes it a great place to break on a cold night.
I have Celesteron regal 4" refractor I use for birding and planets. Higher end binoculars. One benefits of RASC is they have a lending program and I'll occasionally sign out there 10" Dobsonian. Someday I might make it to the Mount Koba starparty.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote