Greetings from Cape Cod! just starting search... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Massachusetts
Greetings from Cape Cod! just starting search...

Hi everyone,

My name is Gary and I live on Cape Cod (Massachusetts). The wife and I have been talking about hitting the road as the nest empties (our son just graduated HS and daughter will be a Junior). We love music and festivals and I’m an avid mountain biker. We’ve done plenty of camping and outdoor adventures, but have never owned (or considered) an RV until recently. So, I’m really looking forward to being a part of the community and learning as much as possible prior to investing in our first Fiberglass RV. Our current thought is a smaller trailer which could be hauled with a smallish SUV (gas mileage?) - definitely something to minimize the impact on the environment (solar looks very appealing). We’d start with little weekend jaunts for music festivals (in the Northeastern US region) and see how the RV life suits us. So, I thank you in advance for letting me join and for all the great information I’ve already discovered. I’m also excited for the adventures which await in the future!

- Gary
Pianoxcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Gary! You’re in the right place for small and light, however...

Not all are as light as some sellers claim. In general I’d recommend a minimum tow rating of 2000/200# (trailer weight/tongue weight) for a 13’ egg trailer, 3500/350# for a 15-16’ trailer, and 5000/500# for a 17-19’ trailer. The higher you go, the fewer choices you have in the SUV class.

Those are broad generalizations, and of course some models are lighter or heavier than others of the same length. You can find more detailed weight information in the “Trailer Weights in the Real World” thread in the General Chat section. Post #297 links to a handy spreadsheet. These are actual loaded weights, not manufacturer dry weights before options, fluids, or gear.

One important question to decide fairly early on is whether you require an onboard bathroom. Having one opens up more places you can stay (especially during the current pandemic), but they add a measure of cost, weight, and complexity to the trailer. They can be toilet only, toilet and shower, or toilet with shower and sink. There are also alternatives to traditional flush toilets, including composting (separating) toilets that don't require plumbing and porta-potties that don't require a dedicated space.

Prepare for a significant hit to fuel mileage when towing, and the smaller the vehicle, the bigger the hit, other things equal; i.e., a 4 cylinder pulling a 13' trailer will take a bigger hit than a 6 cylinder pulling the same trailer, and the 6 cylinder will have more reserve power for climbing hills. Of course, when you unhitch, the advantage returns, so it's a trade-off. The curve changes when you introduce different engine technology, like hybrid, turbocharging, or diesel, but each comes with its own set of trade-offs.

Best wishes in your egg hunt! We’ve got a senior and a sophomore, so we’re also looking forward to some empty nest travel.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Here is a good site

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Small SUVs when towing can be working very hard and get poor gas mileage. Meanwhile an over the top tow vehicle like my F150 get better mileage when towing, but not as good around town.

+100 people often exaggerate on how light their trailer is, I see it here a couple times a week. None of them have actually weighed their trailer, it’s more like “I was told” or “someone said”. A seller without a scale ticket is just guessing on weight and it seems like everyone guesses low... The weights in the real world spreadsheet is a good guide.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Thanks for that great initial feedback. Completely as a starting point, we’re leaning towards 13-15’ with NO indoor bathroom/shower. We’re thinking the size will be quite small so we’d do the solar shower thing and portapotti or dry flush. So, initial research points towards Scamp 13, Happier Camper HC1, Armadillo, and Boler/Egg Campers of similar design/layout (any others to add to the list?). Most of these seem to be on the smaller/lighter end which would match up with the comments about trailer capacity. Anyway, thanks again - we’ll keep the group updated as we encounter questions and what we learn along the way. Hoping some day we’ll be able to help others do the same
Old 07-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have a 1990 Casita Freedom Deluxe that I may sell, located in NH.
We are looking to buy a different camper.
Wife and I went cross country last year in it and it travels great.
Has wet bath and many upgrades, also is full solar.
Interested in more details
Gerry
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Have you looked at this site

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #8

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Have you looked at this site

Thank you Alan - this is great! There doesn’t seem to be many listings on the East Coast currently, but I will keep an eye on the site and new listings.
- Gary
Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Greetings from Cape Cod! just starting search...

You’re on the right track with the smaller trailers. One current brand you’re missing is Relic. Haven’t heard much about them recently, but their website is still up. I have yet to see a single one hit the used market. Worth a look even if you’re not planning to buy new. There’s a great back story on the design and molds. They’re one of very few that don’t have a seam in the shell.

There are also dozens of vintage brands in that size category. Since you’re shopping used, just keep an open mind and see what comes up. Trilliums (both 13’ and 15’) are worth keeping a special eye on. With older trailers there are issues to watch out for, some brand-specific, so ask questions and do research as you go. The “site search/google” option at the bottom of the search menu is the best way to locate old threads and posts.

Best wishes in your “egg hunt”!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #10

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Welcome to the FG site, my first camping trip to the Cape was to Nickerson State park and I was stopped and warned about riding my bike on those lovely winding roads. On the serious side, there are 2 important factors to selecting a trailer. One is weight and the other is wind resistance. I suggest you try renting a small RV trailer through Craig's List or your nearest RV dealer. Every couple want something different from their RV and use it differently depending on weather and other factors. I found that I used my inside utilities as little as possible in good weather. We did most of our cooking via BBQ or Coleman stove on the campsite picnic table under the tent. The most used appliance was a good fridge. Since you are bikers, you have to plan for how to carry those. You don't want to get them all dirty during rainy travel. Today's bikes are often worth more money than the tow vehicle so you may want to keep them safe when not used. Have fun!
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Hi Gary,
Where on Cape are you? I live in Dennis and have a 2018 Scamp 13, not for sale, but if you think you might want to own one get back to me, and come over and have a look.
Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #12

Massachusetts
Hi Jack - that would be great! We’re in Falmouth. I’m not sure how to send a direct message, but it would be nice to connect. Our son is graduating FHS in a couple weeks and we’re around all Summer.

Gary
Old 07-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoxcape View Post
I’m not sure how to send a direct message,

Click on name and select from options. Don't include a URL or email address unless you disguise it.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 4.36.57 PM.png