Greetings from Colorado! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: in the market
CO
Lightbulb Greetings from Colorado!

New member. Recently retired and looking for a good used fiberglass trailer - Casita, Bigfoot, Escape, etc. Willing to travel for the right deal.

Thanks, Jerry
jdrotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ve seen a couple of really nice 21’ Bigfoots at fairly reasonable prices recently. In general the smaller you go the more unreasonable the prices, because that’s where demand is concentrated these days. Supply is always limited.

Speaking of which… what size/weight/features are you looking for?

In addition to this site, www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com is a good place to look, along with Craigslist search engines like SearchTempest. Beware of scams on Craigslist. .

Welcome, and best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Welcome

Welcome to the forums. As you look, pay particular attention to the so called 4 season trailers. They have better insulation and can extend your camping season.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

CO
Thanks.

I've been looking for some time now, primarily for a smaller trailer, since it'll just be me and the dog (wife hates camping...). Member of Fiberglass-RV-4-sale for over 2 years now, so have followed the pandemic price increases over that time (should have pulled the trigger back then - 20/20 hindsight).

Has to have an indoor shower, other than that I'm pretty open. Definitely a used unit, they're expensive enough without getting killed on the initial depreciation. I used to own a large truck camper on an F250, so am pretty familiar with RV systems. Tow vehicle will be an F150/5.0L/4wd.

Saw what looks like a good 2007 17' Bigfoot on both these sites. Only problem is it's in Edmonton - 20 hour drive, and US/Canada border issues both for Covid and RV importation would make that a challenging purchase.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, Canadian purchases are difficult now. I believe you have to use a broker, and there can be issues with US DOT certification on pre-bankruptcy Bigfoots. The 17.5’ers come up from time to time on this side of the border. They would be a great choice for all-season use in the Rockies.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrotz View Post
New member. Recently retired and looking for a good used fiberglass trailer - Casita, Bigfoot, Escape, etc. Willing to travel for the right deal.

Thanks, Jerry
If you find one don't send any money up front to hold it or anything else. Go quickly to see it and take money. These trailers are involved in scams a lot because of their popularity. Get proper title also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #7

CO
Always good advice- lot's of scammers out there, and they're getting better. Used to be pretty obvious when they were fake - ridiculously low price, would deliver to you, terrible grammar, etc. I saw one posting on another Fiberglass trailer site that used the same pictures I'd seen months before from a unit in New Mexico. Not surprisingly, when I responded and noted that, the ad was immediately pulled. Jerks!

Last week I rented a nuCamp Tab400 and towed it some 200 miles to go camping in the area around Leadville, Co. Really liked it, my F150 had no problems, and the trailer pulled easily. No problems at all in heavy crosswinds (unlike the campervan I rented in August...), and I got 11.5 mpg going up and 16 coming back, compared to around best case of 20mpg. Not sure how the Azdel panel construction would compare to fiberglass over time, but the construction quality was excellent, especially the interior ('Amish' craftsmanship ...lol). One thing I (re-)learned is that I really, truly, suck at backing up a trailer! Need lots of practice (or a truck that pretty much does it for you!).
Old 09-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you can come up with a list of features/size/models that you desire and post that in the campers for sale or wanted to buy (use WTB in the title of post) you may get some responses.

Simple solution that can reduce the risk of a scam is ask for a picture of the title to be sent. You need the Vehicle ID number in order to insure it if you purchase in order to drive back and title will provide that. You want seller to have a title which the photo helps substantiate. Anyone can download pictures from internet and claim to have a camper for sale. State titlle is a bit more work to fake.

One other thing that helped in my case is many credit unions have affiliations that will allow you to access your local CU account at an out of state Credit Union. In my case the seller was on the up and up, and a pleasure to work with. Went to CU, notary for the bill of sale, cash withdrawn as a cashiers check in front of the seller one stop took care of the whole process. Had proof of insurance because they sent picture of title so I could go to my insurance agent and get that.

Other folks don't mind carrying cash. Buyers of our 13 ft did that. That works too but makes me nervous to carry more than a few hundred bucks in cash.

I think most folks knowing you have to drive a distance to see and purchase the camper are willing to hold it for at least a few days to give you the chance to get there. That is where the WTB post in the forum sales area comes in. People may reach out to you before they post it for sale. The more you can narrow down requirements without going overboard on "only" want specific models features or items. Unless of course you have desires that are that specific, the more likely someone will decide to see if you are interested in theirs.

One of the scams out there is paying for delivery, camper never arrives. There are professional, insured freight and vehicle haulers. If the seller offers delivery and then gets upset or pushy when you mention contacting an expiditer or freight service that would make me suspicious.

Towing with an F150 should give you a fairly wide range of models that are suitable weights for towing. in a WTB post I would mention weight limits, desired size, amenities such as shower you require, any manditory specifications or amenities. See what responses you get. People may well be thinking about storing with the idea of selling next spring during peak. You might get them to think about selling it now rather than deal with storing for the off season.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrotz View Post
Always good advice- lot's of scammers out there, and they're getting better. Used to be pretty obvious when they were fake - ridiculously low price, would deliver to you, terrible grammar, etc. I saw one posting on another Fiberglass trailer site that used the same pictures I'd seen months before from a unit in New Mexico. Not surprisingly, when I responded and noted that, the ad was immediately pulled. Jerks!

Last week I rented a nuCamp Tab400 and towed it some 200 miles to go camping in the area around Leadville, Co. Really liked it, my F150 had no problems, and the trailer pulled easily. No problems at all in heavy crosswinds (unlike the campervan I rented in August...), and I got 11.5 mpg going up and 16 coming back, compared to around best case of 20mpg. Not sure how the Azdel panel construction would compare to fiberglass over time, but the construction quality was excellent, especially the interior ('Amish' craftsmanship ...lol). One thing I (re-)learned is that I really, truly, suck at backing up a trailer! Need lots of practice (or a truck that pretty much does it for you!).
The adzel holds up very well. Our motorhome has adzel. It is a 2012 and looks perfect still. It does not delaminate. Backing a little trailer is tricky. I've learned if I want to put it in a campsite at the right angle start backing up, turn your steering wheel the direction you need it to go for the trailer then after backing a few feet like about 5-6 straighten out your tires and the trailer will turn in a few feet. If you wait until the trailer starts turning you'll end up with the trailer turning to much. I back a 17' Casita. My hubby has never learned how to back it up so he's my spotter. You do have to practice but you'll get it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote