Greetings from Glasgow, Scotland, UK - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: BigAl
Trailer: Freedom
Scotland
Greetings from Glasgow, Scotland, UK

Howdee Guys and Gals. I'm from 'Up North' of the United Kingdom. Bonnie Scotland to be precise, and we are blessed with a whole lot of outdoors. Where we can wild camp by statute. My beautiful wife and myself like to wild-camp (i.e off sites) and until recently we used a teardrop camping trailer (see below) that I loosely built from plans very generously posted to the Tiny Teardrop forum. It was just large enough for us to take our double mattress and gave us a really comfortable nights sleep. In spite of the fact that I am reasonably tall (six foot), it was quite nice, but after three days, it did begin to feel a little claustrophobic.

We recently sold the teardrop trailer, as my wife could not stand up to use a porta-potti inside it. During the night she had to go outside and was very badly bitten up by midges (no-see-ums). When I say bad, think smallpox bad. :-/ That was the end of camping in the little trailer!

So we needed something that we can wild camp in, she can have a pee inside, and somewhere we can sit out the weather and midges on a really bad day. Everything else is a luxury.

Today we put a deposit down on a Freedom Jetstream (1998) which I think our North American friends will recognise as a 'Captain'? All things going to plan I will collect it tomorrow.

It seems structurally and mechanically sound, but the interior is drab and unpleasant with the fabric liner separating from the fibreglass shell. I intend to strip it internally and refit after lining with spacefoil-bubblewrap insulation. We decided that our first trip will be Easter 2014.

I will post a build thread, in the hope that others can learn from my mistakes and I can hopefully pose some questions.

Cheers and thanks in advance, BigAl.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Looking forward to seeing what you do to the Captain.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds like you are in for the same sorta stuff we do on this side of the pond..

You might introduce you wife to the Bi-Pot w/40 liter holding tank. We have bought two of them. . Very comfortable and easy to service. Should be locally available.

We will be up your way in summer of 2014 digging up dead relatives (Names anyway)
Do you know any Akins (Akens) in Glasgow?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Al and welcome to the forum. Pictures, pictures, pictures.... We love pictures. Before, during, and, after the project is complete.

Since you're here, this question was asked in another thread. Perhaps you can give us a first hand opinion.

Does the UK have any serious mountains to deal with towing (and braking?)

Again welcome, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Scotland
Thanks for the warm welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Does the UK have any serious mountains to deal with towing (and braking?)
The Bealach na Bà is not for the faint hearted.
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/11/...4_3e6e5cfd.jpg

20% Gradients and hairpin bends and a top class wild camping site at Applecross.

Do be honest driving a rental RV up to the Athabasca Glacier in the Alberta Rockies during a blizzard was much more terrifying.

I don't know any Akens or Akins but there are lots of Aikens. Could the former be a variant of the latter?

Fortunately, the new trailer has a cassette toilet fitted. We already have a porta-potti very similar to the Bi-pot, so our trailer may have two bathrooms. Thanks for the recommendation.

She is not a fan of communal facilities, so the luxury of your own toilet seat was a big selling point.

Thanks for the warm welcome, picture will follow. BigAl.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #6

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
We will be up your way in summer of 2014 digging up dead relatives (Names anyway)
Bob, do you know the Commonwealth Games are being hosted by Scotland (Glasgow) in late July and Early August 2014? I would advise booking early if your trip is during these dates.

Personally I advise our US family to visit us sometime during the last two weeks of May to the first two weeks of June, or in September. Late May is particularly nice, with usually good weather and everything in bloom. However, nobody ever came to Scotland for a suntan.

Cheers, BigAl.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Welcome to FGRV! It's great to hear from you! We've enjoyed visiting beautiful Scotland and have camped all over Europe in a tent (long time ago). I'm sure you will find lots of people here eagerly awaiting the progress of your trailer/caravan conversion. I particularly love to decorate my trailer interior and would be happy to share ideas and advice. Here are some photos of my Autumn decor.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 029.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Big Al.
That was a really nice tear build.
Look forward to following your egg renos. ^
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #9

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Here are some photos of my Autumn decor.
I like your Autumn outfit, not only because it looks good but also because it signals that you are an all-season camper.

Some of the best days camping I have ever had, have been in the dead of Winter with snow on the ground.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 AM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Al, You're doing what a lot of us have done - going from a tear drop or other kind of tiny travel trailer to an egg. Certainly that was us as well.

While my wife and I are of Scottish descent, I do not believe we'll ever get to Scotland. We both have Campbell ancestry, while I also have Wallace, and she has Forrester. We do participate in Scottish activities when we can.

This would not be the year I would go to Scotland, unless it was the midge less seasons you mention. Ya never know.

Best of luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Welcome BigAl

I was building a teardrop (have most of the walls, floor, etc built) before I was bitten by the FGRV bug and bought our Boler.

Sound like we should arrange a fiberglass meet in Scotland this summer, my wife and I have booked 2 weeks in your glorious country, and is happens to be the last 2 weeks in May

Looking forward to watching your build.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #12

Scotland
I have just towed the Jetstream home and will take some pics as soon as the rain stops.

(That could be next year!)

With so many people coming to Scotland next year I better stock up on my
whisky selection.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Big Al! Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Some of us live on the west coast of Canada which is why fiberglass trailers are so popular here - we know a little bit about rain - would never do or go anywhere if we waited for the rain to stop!

The snow aside I hope you enjoyed your visit to our Rocky's. The Athabasca Glacier is an beautiful area or at least I think so. Although I am sure driving in the snow at the time was not something you were thrilled about doing, I bet it made for a good story to share with friends at home The first tow I did with my new to me fiberglass trailer was through a mountain pass in late spring which resulted in an unexpected towing in a snow storm experience. as a result the memories of that first trip with this trailer will not soon be forgotten.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote