Greetings from San Pedro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: Shopping
California
Greetings from San Pedro

Hi, I'm Ray from San Pedro CA. I'm on the market for a 13' fiberglass trailer. Heard this was the place to go for info.
RayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Ray! Yup, lots of great folks and helpful information here.

We love our 13' Scamp. I'm in the midst of spring cleaning and packing in preparation for our first trip this year.

You are entering a very hot market at the same time as many others. It will take some active searching, quick action, maybe a long drive, and a careful pre-purchase inspection to snag a good one. And a lot of patience. Good ones fairly priced often sell within a few hours of posting or less.

Check listings on this site as well as www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, eBay, and Craigslist within a 500-1000 mile radius. Search Tempest allows you to set up a regional Craigslist search. Keep your eyes open locally, too- that's how we found ours. Beware of scams on Craigslist. If the price is unusually low, be very cautious. If you are pressured to send money sight unseen, run!

There is a buyer's inspection checklist in the Document Center. It will help you know what to look for in a used unit. Many older units need work, sometimes a lot of it.

Make sure you have an adequate tow vehicle set up to go. A few 13'ers, very few, are under 1500# when loaded for travel, most are 1500-2000#, and a few are 2000-2500# (Casita Patriot Deluxe is one). There are sellers who claim "under 1000#, can tow with anything," but it ain't so. Since CA requires brakes on trailers over 1500#, you will need brake wiring on your tow vehicle and brakes on the trailer. Not all 13'ers have them, and adding brakes can cost up to $1000 (worst case, depending on the type of axle).

Best wishes on your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Another forum worth checking is casitaforum.com. It has a very active classified section and often includes other FG trailers besides Casitas.
Good luck on your search.
When I was ready to sell my 13er, I put it up on Craigslist late one night, planning to list it on the forums the next day. I woke up to about three firm offers and sold it to the first one.

Walt