Greetings from south of Albany NY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Greetings from south of Albany NY

Hi folks. I've been lurking a while, as I intend to buy a fiberglass trailer sometime in the next year or two, and I've been trying to learn all I can. I've had a couple older tin can trailers and am getting tired of rebuilding rotted interior frames. I've always paid cash for my trailers, but the next one may involve financing, as I want something newer that doesn't need me tearing it apart after buying it to fix it! The other thing is I've always bought locally - this time we might travel south or southwest to buy something that hasn't had a snow load on it. In the meantime I'll keep looking,lurking & researching.

Before the end of this decade we'll be retired and I want something dependable to travel with.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome Frank,
With fiberglass, snow really doesn't effect it much, neither rain nor shine either. Try to attend some rallies here on the forum Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV
and you will get to see the interior of the various models to help you make your buying decision easier. There are several meets right across the border in Niagara Falls area I'm aware of and if we have anything in New York it will be posted real soon.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

New York
Thanks! That's a good idea, but we'll see. We have a packed summer schedule, lots of weekend events to attend, classic boat meets (we have a 50+ year old tunnel hull racer with a 50 year old 100 hp merc), Scot festivals and games (for which I get kilted), and visits to Buffalo and Fredonia NY to see our kids and our grandson. Off today up to Sacandaga Reservoir to help a friend paint the inside of his new garage, back later today to continue repairs on our '83 Sunline T-1550 (grrrr). Just installed a rear view camera in my pickup too, big help with the three trailers I tow. Bad back, bad shoulders, bad knees, just a mess, but I do have fun!

Take care and I'll be checkin later!

Frank
Old 05-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #4

New York
By the way, I've been looking at a number of posts where fiberglass ceilings have sagged over time from snow load year after year. Is that a common thing? Are newer 'glass trailers less likely for that to happen?

We will want something 16' or 17' with a toilet & shower. Will we need A/c?

Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some of the older models have sagged, if concerned some people have put a 2x4 brace inside. Depends on your snow total I guess. Air conditioning is an option, something you may want if you travel south, other wise a MaxxAir or Fantastic Fan will keep you cool. A furnace is needed as well as bath, water heater, holding tanks. It's like swimming, you need to jump in and then decide on which kind of stroke you want to use. The 3 big new manufacturers, Scamp/Casita/Escape have referral programs where they give you a name of a person who lives near you who is willing to show you their unit. Or, as I said earlier, attend a rally and see a bunch.
Also check out our for sale section, here is a nice unit not too far from you just listed http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-58403.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Well big surprise!!! Here's our old friend Frank that we first met at Lake Moreau, and camped with at Fish Creek. Did you know that about 18 months ago we bought an old 13' Uhaul fiberglass camper? This past winter we went south for 3 months with it. Still have the teardrop, and will be back at Fish Creek with it next month. The Uhaul was one of those dumb luck finds, $2000, and needed some work. Actually making some more modifications to it now. Looking at a Scamp 16 that would be a little more comfortable for long term traveling, but it's too big for our tow vehicle.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

New York
Thanks CPA, or is it Harley? So newer ones don't have those kind of problems? We're looking at a budget next year of maybe 10 grand or so. The problem is it seems all the good deals are in the south or west and we're in the north and east! I've seen that 13' Scamp you've put a link to, but we will want 16' based on our limited experiences with tin cans. We have kids, one grandchild, and hope to travel after retirement with a trailer.

I actually joined up here after lurking a while because I was reading a thread about sagging trailer rooftops and how to do fiberglass work, of which I have plenty of experience. But I think you answered my questions. We need to be careful this next time around. There's a difference between projects I want to do and those I have to do...

Thanks!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some of the older models have sagged, if concerned some people have put a 2x4 brace inside. Depends on your snow total I guess. Air conditioning is an option, something you may want if you travel south, other wise a MaxxAir or Fantastic Fan will keep you cool. A furnace is needed as well as bath, water heater, holding tanks. It's like swimming, you need to jump in and then decide on which kind of stroke you want to use. The 3 big new manufacturers, Scamp/Casita/Escape have referral programs where they give you a name of a person who lives near you who is willing to show you their unit. Or, as I said earlier, attend a rally and see a bunch.
Also check out our for sale section, here is a nice unit not too far from you just listed http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-58403.html
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

New York
By golly, if it's not Bob! Yes, I was aware you got that U-Haul from back when we were in more communication. Since then, I found one in Greene County for 4 grand, but that's okay, we're not in the buy-a-trailer mode right now, just lookin around, kickin tires and such.

After 40 years of tent camping, we got hooked with the Sunspot, but needed something a bit bigger, now that we had a dog. After rebuilding two of these Sunlines, I'm ready for a relatively maintenance free, spit-on-and-shine kinda thing. We expect in the next year to get a Chevy Traverse with a tow package - it will tow 5200s, and give me the same gas mileage I get with my pickup that can only tow a bit over a ton. Then we'll start looking. Also, I need to build a carport of some kind to store a trailer.

I hope you & Mary are doing okay. Keep in touch!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Well big surprise!!! Here's our old friend Frank that we first met at Lake Moreau, and camped with at Fish Creek. Did you know that about 18 months ago we bought an old 13' Uhaul fiberglass camper? This past winter we went south for 3 months with it. Still have the teardrop, and will be back at Fish Creek with it next month. The Uhaul was one of those dumb luck finds, $2000, and needed some work. Actually making some more modifications to it now. Looking at a Scamp 16 that would be a little more comfortable for long term traveling, but it's too big for our tow vehicle.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Frank to FiberglassRV. I'm late to the welcoming party because I've been out camping in my Scamp. Fun times!

We're glad you're here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #10

New York
That's great! Thanks Donna!

We're looking more now at 16' Scamps, Layout 6 I guess, but it will be a while. In a way, we'd like to buy new, but if we can find a good used one next year, maybe...

Frank