Have trailer at last - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have trailer at last

We finally bought a trailer, a 2001 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe. It is the same age, color, weight, and length as my Ford Ranger.
We first looked at a fiberglass trailer, also a Casita, at Yellowstone six years ago and have been thinking about them ever since. Two weeks ago I saw an ad by a couple near by and jumped on the opportunity.
We are building a parking space beside the house, between the cable box and the trailer in this picture. Those trees are in a canyon so we will be very careful not to back up too far.
We plan on a few shake-down trips in the next two weeks and then we hope to drive to a wedding in Kentucky, 2000 miles each way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2450.JPG  
Eric Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

Congratulations. I love those wheels.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats and Welcome! Whoooo Hoooooo, looks like a nice trailer! Enjoy!

One recommedation I would have for you is to have your wheel bearings packed before your long trip. It's very hard to know when the last time it was done and it's worth the maintence since you just bought it . Again, Welcome! Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Congratulations on your new camper. Let the fun begin!

You didn't mention if you have owned campers BC (before the Casita). If not, try a couple of nights "camping" in your driveway before you head out on any trip. You'll find out quickly what you forgot to bring and what you can leave behind. It will also give you a chance to see if appliances, lights etc work properly.

PS: Start a log of your adventures and everything you do to change and improve your Casita. Mileage, diagrams, notes, places visited and the highs and lows of your travels can go there. Years from now you'll be able to haul out the logbook and re-live your adventures.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Very nice, happy camping.
Don't forget to have the wheel bearings checked if you haven't already.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
She's a beauty! Tire balancing also goes a long way ... Don't ask me how i know! Most of all - have fun!!!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
Nice choice!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #8

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Very Nice !! Is your Ranger a 4 or 6 cylinder?
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #9

Range has six cylinders

It has a 4 liter six with a five speed automatic. Both engine and transmission were new for 2001 so I was taking a chance when I bought it. I have heard that the smaller 3 liter six would not do well with a 3000 pound trailer. This package is rated to tow over 5800 lbs with a weight distributing hitch, almost twice the real-world weight of a loaded 17' Casita. I have only towed 25 miles so far, bringing it home, but it seemed to tow very easily.
When the brake rotors were replaced last year the parts supplier incorrectly sent the rotors for the 3 liter engine, so I found out that the 4 liter has much larger brakes than the 3 liter.
If I need more power I could bolt on a supercharger designed for a Mustang. I hear that the supercharger increases engine efficiency, which must be a good thing.
My brother-in-law suggested upgrading the rear suspension. He found some aftermarket suspension parts that would eliminate the floaty feeling and make it handle like a Tacoma.
Eric Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote