Hello - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Hello

My name is John and I have never owned a rv. My wife and I (kids grown- -) are considering scamp or casita. We have done tent camping and backpacking. I'm joining this site just seeking information from people who have experience. We have a 2013 ford escape to tow with. It list a maxium trailier weight of 2000 lbs. Noticed that Casita 13' is listed 1630 lbs and a 5'10'' interior. (I'm 6'1"). The Casita 16' at 1970 lbs. The Scamp 13 at 1200 lbs and 6'3" interior. The Scamp 16' at 1750 lbs. Also have thought about Aliner Ranger (1320 lbs) with options around 1500 I think, but it does fold down.
Just wondering what would be best as far as towing. How much difference does the Aliner folding down make? Kind of leaning toward Casita 13' but how much does not being able to stand up straight in a small trailer really matter? Thoughts appreciated. - John
rattletrap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome John, there are lots of us camping in small fiberglass trailers who like you have moved up from tent camping.

There is a great thread on this forum called Trailer Weights in the Real World that you should take a look at to see what ones really do come in under 2000lbs once loaded with gear.

I am assuming the weights you are quoting for the Casita and Scamps have come from the manufactures websites and they are what we call "dry weights" and unfortunately they dont include the weight of any optional equipment such as a propane tank, battery, stove, fridge and awnings etc. and they sure dont include your own belongings. A good rule of thumb to use when looking at trailer manufactures dry weight is to add about 600lbs in order to come up with a weight that may be more realistic once hitched up. Unfortunately a Scamp 16' under 2000lbs for example isnt something you are going to find. You are probable going to need to look at trailers 14' and under - but lots of chooses out there in that regard: Scamp 13', Burro 13', Trillium 13', Hunter Compact Jr, uHaul and a Boler 13' to name a few.

Happy hunting!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi John and wife, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

Carol has given you good information. I'd also suggest checking out all the brand names on the home page... you NEVER know when you may see one of those names in a classified ad, and may just miss the deal of a lifetime!

Best of luck on the egg hunt!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Too bad you didn't get the 2.0L with the tow package that tows 3500#. I wonder if your dealer could upgrade your Escape to boost you past 2000#.