Hello - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #1

Name: Hayan
Trailer: Ordered and waiting
Colorado
Hello

Hello,

My name is Hayan and I live in Denver with my two sons and husband. We just ordered a 16 foot Scamp, bunk beds and restroom to be picked up in mid August of next year. We've put down the deposit, chosen our options and are looking forward to next summer. However I have to admit this was a completely spur of the moment, largely un-researched impulse buy driven primarily by the retro look of the Scamp and assumption that this was a gas efficient option to a larger camper trailer, while still allowing us a restroom and indoor cooking option. I think I ate a teaspoon of sand camping in the sand dunes two summers ago. I hope I made the right choice. My primary drivers are gas efficiency (I drive a Prius) functionality, quality and cuteness. I suppose another factor was that my husband bought a Porsche a couple months ago which coupled with his AMG has kicked me out of the garage. I guess I showed him ;>
hayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
What vehicle will you be using to tow with ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Colorado
2012 Honda Pilot, I told Alan the same (very nice gentleman at Scamp) and he seemed to have some opinions in regards to the options which would work best with the Scamp. He seemed to think that one propane tank would be more that sufficient and best suited to our car though he didn't bother to explain why (weight I assume). Nor did he bother to try to upgrade me to the deluxe wood package and in fact discouraged me from other upgrades as superfluous. He seemed to configure the camper on the fly based on a brief description of our needs. I assumed it was an upstate Minnesota thing ;>
Old 12-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #4

Name: Earl and Kathryn
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Glad you found this forum. There is a wealth of information here and if you do not find answers to your questions in the archives, pose your question and someone almost always will respond with a wise, well thought out response and often a bit of humor as well.
EarlandKathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is your Pilot 2WD or 4WD? Not 100% sure, but I think Honda de-rated the towing capacity on 2WD models starting 2012. The 4WD version, rated to tow 4500 pounds, should be a very good match for a 16' Scamp. Expect yours to weigh around 2500 pounds loaded for camping, and you'll want some margin for climbing those Rocky Mountain grades.

Scamp has a generous change and cancellation policy, so it's not too late to do some research and make sure this is the right choice for you. You might let us know how you plan to camp and what options you ordered and I'm sure you'll get some recommendations there.

One limitation of most Scamps is the size of the main dinette bed- at 45"x76" it's snug for two. Another is the tiny size and limited headroom in the side bathroom. Which leads to another suggestion: get a first-hand look at one if you can. Scamp has a referral program and might be able to connect you with an owner in the Denver area. If not, you could also post here- might be a forum member near you willing to let you have a look.

In any case, welcome to the forum, and I wish you the best in your camping adventures! We are four (girls 10 and 13) and tow a 13' Scamp with a 2011 Pilot 2WD. The beds are the same as yours, but the 16' adds more kitchen space and a small bathroom.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

Colorado
Our pilot is 4 wheel drive. Touring an existing 16 scamp is a great idea. I have watched several you tube videos and it seems sufficient if barely, when scamp sends me the specs I'll review more closely. I appreciate the advice