Hello - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: Ventura
Ponoka
Hello

Hi Everyone.
Just got a 13ft Ventura today. Needs alot of work so hopefully get some info here and start working on it this fall. Can anyone tell me where the year of this trailer would be found. Thanks Gary.
Trapper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper44 View Post
Hi Everyone.
Just got a 13ft Ventura today. Needs alot of work so hopefully get some info here and start working on it this fall. Can anyone tell me where the year of this trailer would be found. Thanks Gary.
LOL Id start with the title. What kind of paperwork did you get with it?
Old 05-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #3

Ponoka
No paperwork. The neighbors sold their house and told me to take it out of their field. She knew nothing about it. Is there a way to tell the year by the I.d. #.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello

Start with a google site search (bottom of the search menu) for all Ventura-related posts. That should help you narrow down when they were made. Most molded trailers used the identical design across multiple years, though, so the best you can hope for is a range. You can also use the manufacturers tab at the top to locate Ventura information. Some site features are only accessible from the full website, so if you’re using the mobile skin on a phone or tablet, scroll down to the bottom left corner to switch to the full website interface.

Depending on the age it may have a standard VIN or just a manufacturer serial number. It it has a VIN, the motor vehicle department can likely sort out the year. If not, post the serial number here, and other Ventura owners might be able to help narrow it down. They typically run in numerical sequence. Don’t expect an overwhelming response, though; it’s not a common model.

Either way, a physical or virtual visit to your motor vehicle office is in order. Find out what the process is for gaining legal ownership of an abandoned vehicle. Don’t put money into it until you get papers in your name.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would start on the paperwork to get a title, every state is different in this regard. I have no idea how its going to work in Canada. I guess you use registrations there.

If possible, some notarized letter from the person that gave it to you could be useful.

Serial number on any appliance could give you a lead on age.

On ID numbers, start a database and ask others to submit their ID #. This has been done on other trailers, like Trilliums, where someone took on the task of collecting numbers. Its a labor of love, and needs a champion to start the process.

+10 I would do nothing on the trailer until I had the legal documentation for it. I would keep it covered in the interim.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #6

Ponoka
Thanks. Will look into it.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello

I agree a letter from the property owner is a good idea, especially if they’re leaving the area and might be hard to track down later. A few photos of the trailer would be good, too. Motor vehicle agents might be less suspicious and more helpful when they can clearly see it is a derelict trailer of limited value.

Tracking appliance serial numbers is an interesting idea I hadn’t thought about. Curious if it will lead anywhere. Depends on whether the manufacturer is still in business and digitized old records. Of course, the appliances need not have been manufactured in the same model year as the trailer, but it would narrow it to a couple of years.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote