Hello! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #1

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Bigfoot, in the market
British Columbia
Hello!

Hi all!

I’m Shelby. I bought a 1981 B-17 deluxe Bigfoot this spring. Put a bunch of new things in it, but due to my current health I’m looking at selling it for a new trailer that requires less(or zero) work.

I’m looking forward to reading all the posts and joining in on fibreglass camping journeys!
ShelbyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum!

I’m so sorry to hear about your health issues. They can sure make it hard to do everyday things.

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume a new trailer won’t have issues. Seems like sll RV’s require continual fussing. With a new one, you may have some help from the warranties, but odds are it won’t be glitch-free. BIgfoot has a better reputation than most, if you’re thinking that direction.

RV prices are sky-high right now, at least for the good ones, including molded fiberglass. It’s not a great time to be a buyer. Most of the molded fiberglass manufacturers have long waits for new.

So, I guess it comes down to how much major work is left to do on your Bigfoot. Would is be possible to hire out the remaining work? That can add up really fast, I know! You might be able to find a one-person operation looking to keep busy during the winter.

Tough decisions. I wish you health and happy travels ahead!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

British Columbia
I’ve figured fit what I want to do (replace some inner wall veneer, paint interior, add flooring, paint exterior, fix minor things like stripped screws, broken brackets, etc) which above what my dad has already done (new breaks& wiring, new tires, new battery, new LED lights, fixed some plumbing, new cushions & upholstery) to hire someone else it would nearly cost what a base outback does, and most RV shops (and hobbyists) are too busy to do the work for me. I miss the ease of the 1973 boler I had a maintenance-for-use agreement with the owner of 4.5 years ago. But due to various factors it was sold and I wasn’t in a position to buy it.
Besides, have your tried to find parts for 40 year old appliances?! It’s impossible!!

I figure for someone fully able bodied they’ll love my Bigfoot, and a new 13’ would suit me nicely.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Outback is a nice trailer, but they have gained a reputation for long delays and missed delivery dates with substantial funds tied up in the deposit. You'll have to decide if you can live with that. As far as I know, everyone who waited long enough eventually got a trailer.

Is Armadillo that much more expensive? Options add up fast on the Outback, but if you plan to keep it simple...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #5

British Columbia
I priced out an armadillo on their webpage. A base armadillo is more expensive than the outback with everything I want, by thousands! And I’m flexible on completion dates. Joe’s been very helpful and quick to respond (even on his day off!) communicating back and forth. From more recent reviews people have been very happy with their trailer.