Hello all - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: currently shopping
Georgia
Hello all

New guy here, no camper but looking for something like a Casita or Scamp. I live in Blairsville Ga. Do not want anything bigger then a 16 footer. Looking forward to learning more as I read the forums.

Mike Sharkey
Mike Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Mike!

A good place to start your research is the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section. Don't know what you're planning to tow with, but this thread, along with the towing section of your vehicle's owner's manual, will get you started in the right direction. Post #297 links to a downloadable spreadsheet of the data you can filter by make and model and calculate averages.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #3

Georgia
Thank You Jon, I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. It has the towing package and V6. I dhould also add that I'm looking for and older trailer that has air but not the unit on the roof.

Mike
Old 11-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Hello all

Sounds like you're in good shape then! Just gotta find one... often takes some persistence.

Another helpful resource is the "Buyer's Checklist." On the website, go to the tab at the top that says "More" and select the "Document Center." If you look down a few rows you should find a link.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Another helpful resource is the "Buyer's Checklist." On the website, go to the tab at the top that says "More" and select the "Document Center." If you look down a few rows you should find a link.
Direct Link: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sharkey View Post
Thank You Jon, I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. It has the towing package and V6. I dhould also add that I'm looking for and older trailer that has air but not the unit on the roof.

Mike
Hi Mike and welcome to the group.

Just to ask... Are you planning on putting it inside?
and... "Older" often doesn't mean less expensive but, if so, it can alsomean a lot more work is needed.

Best bet, especially for a first unit, set a budget and buy the very best you can afford, it's usually cheaper than buying a fixer, that is unless you are looking for a hobby and/or a form of self inflicted pain... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Georgia
Bob I have a drive thru garage with an 8 foot door on each side. I live in the mountains of north Georgia. I would prefer the air conditioner not be on the roof so I could drive it through the garage.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Hello all

Check the actual measurements of your door opening, Mike. It could be a bit less than a full 8'.

Official manufacturer's height of a 16' Casita is 7'8", and Casita mounts factory AC through a front closet on the 16'er. Official height of a 16' Scamp without roof AC is 7'10". Early units had factory AC installed in a side closet; sometime(?) they switched to a roof mount. As far as I know, both specifications have remained unchanged over the years, subject to minor variations.

Since both are close to 8', and since modifications (new axle, larger tires,...) can affect the height, you'll want to check each unit you find on a case-by-case basis.