Hello all, I'm pumped I found this forum. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Winnebago
Michigan
Hello all, I'm pumped I found this forum.

Hey everybody my name is Matt and my wife and I reside in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula of Michigan. We have a lovely little 15month old girl and are wanting to raise her right, traveling on the road like her parents. We currently own a restored and updated 1982 winnebago class C that my wife and I lived in for the summer of 2012. We are going to get rid of that and move up to a fiberglass trailer so that we can have a better setup.

So I guess my first question is: Does anyone tow a smaller (13-15ft) camper with a CRV on here and if so how does it perform?

Second; What camper should we be looking for in the 13-15ft range? I would love to stay under $12,000.

Stoked to be apart of this community and looking forward to sharing adventures on here.

Matt
steenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Hi Matt,
Just my 2 cents, but I think that your CRV may be pushing the envelope a bit, plus you also need to investigate how much tongue weight your CRV will accommodate as well. You really don't want to be right up against the limits of your tow or tongue capacity. Just something to keep in mind.
Also, you may be able to find a decent used one, or one that's not needing much work, for that price point. Definitely won't get you a new trailer for 12K, but there's many good used ones around for a decent price.
There's lots of different makes and models, so it's just a matter of keeping your ear to the ground and look for a good deal. Check out the various fiberglass trailer forums. Most have a classified section, and there are a number of trailers listed on them for sale. Good luck with your search and welcome to the world of fiberglass trailering.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Your budget should be ample for a very clean used unit in that size range, and there are many choices, vintage and newer. Consider shopping in Canada as well as the US.

Your constraint is weight, since the CRV is only rated for 1500 pounds*. By most accounts, that limit is fairly conservative, so I'd feel comfortable towing right up to the limit, maybe even (dare I say it...) a few pounds over. Adding a transmission cooler would be a good idea, though. (*2nd generation and newer 2.4L)

A basic 13' Scamp or similar- bunks, no bathroom, fridge, not too much else- will put you right at your limit, maybe a little over, once you load it for a trip.

Have to say though... we have a CRV and a Pilot. Living in a high-altitude area with lots of mountain and canyon grades, and traveling with four people, bicycles and all our clothes and camping extras, we only tow our 13' Scamp with the Pilot.

But since there are only two of you and a little one, I think if you pack lightly and stick with a basic 13'er you'll be fine with your CRV. They're great, reliable vehicles. We've had two ('00 and '06).

Make sure the trailer has electric brakes- not all 13'ers do. And be careful- some fully optioned newer units or substantially modified older ones can become quite portly!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 16 ft Scamp
Crv

Yes, I think basic 13, but not the Deluxe model with the wood cabinets. As this would increase the weight.
Darrin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin S View Post
Yes, I think basic 13, but not the Deluxe model with the wood cabinets. As this would increase the weight.
That pertains to the Scamp 13' specifically. For Casitas, Deluxe means it has a bathroom, toilet, sink, and shower. I don't know of other FG brands with models designated as "deluxe".

Good luck and welcome to the world of FG.

Walt
Old 02-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I hope Norm & Ginny (honda03842) will chime in here. Their TV is a CRV and they assured me that one would be good for my Burro 13 footer. Be aware they DO have a manual transmission which certainly makes a difference.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
I tow my 13' Scamp Standard with a 2007 CRV. Electric brake controller. Be careful not to overload and watch your weight distribution.

I bought a 2014, no bathroom, spotless condition for less than your $12,000 budget in California. I have spent another $1,400 for hitch, mattress and assorted trailer toys, I'm obsessed. LOL

I call it my "mouse house" and her name is "Minnie" because we found her online while vacationing at Disneyworld.

I spent a long time looking at every trailer option with our 1500 pound weight restriction. A teardrop is an option but I prefer to stand up. When searching, I didn't limit myself to a Scamp, but I am so happy that's what I found. Good luck to you!!
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Welcome to the forum. I believe you can still by a minimal Scamp 13 standard for about $10k. They have a optional package that includes a fridge and shelves for an addition $1k or so. The factory is in Backus Minnesota. Raz

Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Hi Matt and welcome.

Check your "private messages". I sent you some information. Thanks
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I hope Norm & Ginny (honda03842) will chime in here. Their TV is a CRV and they assured me that one would be good for my Burro 13 footer. Be aware they DO have a manual transmission which certainly makes a difference.

Froggie
Actually Norm & Ginny updated their tow vehicle last year to a Honda Odyssey with a towing capacity of 3500lbs ;-) If I am not mistaken they have reported getting as good if not better MPG's while towing with the Odyssey than with the CRV.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
That pertains to the Scamp 13' specifically. For Casitas, Deluxe means it has a bathroom, toilet, sink, and shower. I don't know of other FG brands with models designated as "deluxe".

Good luck and welcome to the world of FG.

Walt
So a bathroom, sink and shower adds no weight but the meme about the wood interior is allowed to persist?
There is a Casita Patriot on the real world weights list which is said to weigh 2640 pounds!!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually Norm & Ginny updated their tow vehicle last year to a Honda Odyssey with a towing capacity of 3500lbs ;-) If I am not mistaken they have reported getting as good if not better MPG's while towing with the Odyssey than with the CRV.
That's a common experience, I think. A smaller tow vehicle doesn't necessarily do any better towing (MPG-wise) than a larger vehicle because most of the demand comes from aerodynamic drag related to the frontal area of the trailer. The smaller engine just has to work harder. Once you unhitch, though, the advantages of a small vehicle return.

My experience with Honda 4-cylinder engines is they don't mind working hard (as long as you don't mind running at higher revs), and the 2.4L is a stout workhorse. The main thing is to protect the automatic transmission, if so equipped, and not be in a big hurry. With a smaller engine, you won't have as much reserve power for long grades, so you'll need to slow down and gear down.

Norm towed well over the 1500 pound limit for many years without mechanical issues. I'm not recommending you ignore the limit, but I do have confidence the CRV can handle the rated 1500 pounds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I don't recommend over-weighting either, but I've often heard that tow ratings on the same vehicles are typically much higher in Europe. Regardless, a transmission oil cooler is good insurance and only costs around $100.

Walt
Old 02-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I don't recommend over-weighting either, but I've often heard that tow ratings on the same vehicles are typically much higher in Europe. Regardless, a transmission oil cooler is good insurance and only costs around $100.

Walt
Hearsay can be a dangerous thing

What proof do those that claim such things have that they are in fact the exactly the same vehicle even though the majority of vehicles are now built in different countries depending on where the market is they are being sold? And or that the towing environment/standard (i.e. test speeds/grades) the tow rating is set on, is in all ways the same in Europe as it is in North America?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hi Matt;
We have had 14 foot Bolers, 16 foot Boler, 27 foot 5th wheel and 28 foot class C motorhome. I LOVED the motor home but had to agree that the costs where much higher than we wanted to spend. So we are back to a 13 foot 1973 Boler. We had some upgrades done this winter which include a new axle system with new electric brakes. 13 foot Bolers never came with electric brakes but because one of our tow vehicles was near its limit we felt the electric brakes were a must.
So take your time, check out all sorts of trailers. If you can attend Fibreglass trailer events as day guests and see what people have as trailers, tow vehicles, etc and what amazing things they have done to their units.
We have gone back to a 13 footer after suffering footitist and can't be happier.
All the best,
BigT
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Welcome! Do you already own the CRV? Or just thinking ahead? If the latter, keep in mind that a minivan has so much extra useful space that will come in handy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
CRV

For several years my wife and i towed a 13 foot Uhaul with a 2004 Honda CRV with an automatic tranny. The Uhaul weighed in at 1480 lbs fully loaded. We live in Idaho and towed a lot ( probably in the neighborhood of 25,000 miles total ) over the Cascades, Rockies and some in the Sierra Nevada's with no ill effects. We tow generally at 60mph and did not find ourselves slowed to an objectionable speed on the many mountain passes we went over. The CRV was rated to tow 1500 lbs and normally you would want to go no more than 80 percent of rated capacity, but the Uhaul and CRV seemed a good match. We encountered no mechanical issues as a result of towing with the CRV. Our Uhaul did not have brakes but I would not recommend towing without them. In summary I can vouch for the CRV being a capable tow vehicle up to 1500 lbs but would not leave the driveway without brakes on the trailer and be sure you have adequate, but not excessive tongue weight. lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
tow V

Unless you already own the CRV (very nice vehicle ) and you want to keep good mpg for your daily driver I would look at these

Look at Mazda cx5 ,2000lb tow
Subaru outback ,2700lb tow 200 tongue
GMC terrain 3500lb tow with v-6
Chevy Equinox 3500lb with v-6
Ford Escape 3500lb tow ecoboost 2L
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Hi Matt

Listen to Floyd or Casita Greg...they won't steer you wrong

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #20

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hi Matt;
We have pulled 16 foot Boler with a Nissan V6 Frontier. We have pulled 13 foot Bolers with a Ford Ranger and a Chev. Cavalier Convert. The Frontier is V6 and the 2002 Cavalier is a 4 cylinder.
We pulled the 5th wheel with a Frontier V6 with Nissan's approval as it was a new truck at the time. The motor home we had was a Chev. V8 350 cubic inch.
So if you stay at the smaller end of the fiberglass trailers your CRV should be fine. We sold a 13 foot Boler to a couple with a CRV and they had no trouble pulling it.
You might have to upgrade the tires or something to make it hold the road better.
Take care,
Dave
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote