Hello and we just bought a 1973 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hello and we just bought a 1973 Trillium

Hello from Calgary, AB, Canada.
We just bought a 1973 Trillium 1300.
First time in my life I have owned a trailer of any kind (previously tented). I'm a newbie, excited to soak up some knowledge!
It needs some repairs but overall is in good shape.
The most pressing issue is that I need to install some safety bars or something for the bunk beds so my 1 and 3 year old kids can safely sleep in them. Has a thread or topic on safety bars in fiber glass trailers been started somewhere already?
(Also I'm super happy this trailer fits into our garage BONUS!)

Kim
kimnmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Name: Murray
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
BC
Registry
Funny you should mention that. I just removed the cargo net I used when our kids were that age.

I don’t know where I got it but I attached the bottom straps to the underside of the top bunk and added a couple hooks inside for it to hang from. As a bonus, it held up the bunk when my son knocked out the support rods (on purpose I think).

Click image for larger version

Name:	C088A9E8-C451-4EB1-A95C-E91D4572A68C.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	137711

Name:	D3F079F8-3C89-4BED-B369-2F2070E4FE66.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	137712

Name:	F8F671DA-A795-4F37-AB6E-3FCF0FDAB77D.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	137713
Chilliwack Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Great idea

Hi Murray,
Great idea to use a cargo net! Thanks for the pictures and such a great tip! Where on the underside of the bunk did you attach the bottom cargo net? Did you attach it to the bunk itself (the wooden bottom) or to the back fiberglass wall?
Thanks,
Kim
Old 09-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #4

BC
Registry
I had used the existing screws for the brackets that hold the poles for the end straps into the wooden base of the bed and a wood screw with a flat washer for the centre strap. I wish I could remember where I got the net from.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #5

Alberta
Registry
Great idea

Thanks for the extra info Murray that makes sense where you attached it on the bottom!
I was actually just doing some searching online and I think I found a good cargo net from Amazon called a stretchable auto trunk net for toys and sports gear that could work well. Also I remembered that I saw a brand new Armadillo trailer this summer when I was camping that had a net on the bunks (I asked the nice campers who owned it for a tour inside). I looked them up and found some pictures online of how they do cargo nets for bunks: https://www.armadillotrailers.net/floor-plans (look at their Sleepover model pictures). Thanks again for your tips. I'll post some pictures once we get a set up into place.
Cheers,
Kim
Old 09-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #6

BC
Registry
Just thinking more about it, I have no use for that net, you’re welcome to it. Send a PM and we can find a way to get it to you.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Old Thread

Enjoy our new rig!

You might check out this old thread:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ium-85458.html

Uncle Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Kim, Welcome to the site! There are lots of helpful people here. You can find a number of threads on the subject of fall restraints:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ing-54650.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ety-56222.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ail-60600.html

The factory solution was just a spring loaded telescoping rod that fitted into a shower rod bracket at either end of the upper bunk. The door side is easy, since it attaches to the support pillar on the hinge side of the door. The kitchen side is not so easy. This was attached to a block of wood that was glued, (fibreglassed?) to the shell, under the ensolite insulation. It was done this way to avoid putting any holes in the shell of the trailer. It is possible to peel back the ensolite, but not easy to do without ripping it.

BTW, I am in Calgary as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Thanks!

Hi David,
Thanks for the forum links. Also I appreciate hearing about the original factory solution. Nice to meet a fellow Calgarian who is a Trillium owner
I've seen some of your other posts David so I have another question for you:
What's your opinion on the Trillium furnaces? The one I have in my 1973 1300 is original. Is it worth replacing with a new one or try to keep using the old one? Any safety issues come up with furnaces this old?
Thanks,
Kim
Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Alberta
The old furnaces are great but they get hot so be careful of little ones around them. I have both the furnace and a small child and don’t plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon. The nice thing is that they require no power to run unless you’re really lucky and have a blower but most will not.
River Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #11

BC
Registry
Agree, I wouldn’t dream of getting rid of out gravity furnace. We use our trailer in cool temperatures and in remote locations... Propane will last a week easily and so will the battery with no furnace fan to run.

We had young kids as well and they need to be taught that it’s hot, just like the campfire. One of those things you only have to learn once.

Given the age you should definitely examine it carefully for serious rust in the heat exchanger shell. I’d also strongly recommend getting a battery powered CO detector. We have one with a 10 year built in battery for the house and take it with us in the trailer. I think it was about $40 on sale at Roma.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Furnace

Thanks Robert & Murray,
I didn't realized that they get hot to the touch I'll be on the lookout for that. Ours doesn't have a blower so it's just the ambient heat.
The furnace grate is missing some of the slats (see pictures) which makes it a bit more open then I would like with 2 small children. Is there anywhere I can get a new cover for the furnace or some other grate that would work to cover it better?
Thanks,
Kim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6422.jpg   IMG_6423.jpg  

Old 09-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #13

BC
Registry
EBay maybe? There seem to be a few for sale, not sure if they are the same size as yours. Heres a link to one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-3-8-X-14...QAAOSw-nZdZzuu

You could probably make yours safe or even safer than original by adding some 1/4" welded wire screen to the inside to stop little fingers from gettting through.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Hi, from a fellow newbie.
We started out with a 13 foot Trillium about 30 years ago and loved it. Sold it for more than we paid for it too. We just have one daughter, so when she was young she mostly slept on the bottom bunk. On top though, we used one of those tough vinyl bed rails that have several flat 'feet' that extend well under the mattress itself (they normally used for kids that have graduated from a crib to a single bed). The weight of the mattress (and occupant) keep the raised side very solid/safe. Mostly it ended up being storage up there for suitcases, but was fine for sleeping as well.

We just 'moved up' to a 17 foot Bigfoot ('89) and travelled from BC to Calgary to pick it up. We enjoy your city!

All the best,
Bob T.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #15
JPr

Name: Justin
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Hey there!

I've attached how we did the bunks to keep the kids alive.

Its worked well so far. I did also make a small barrier
between the stove and the bottom bunk. Keeps small hands away from a hot pot or stove stop.

If you have any other questions let me know! I just did a resto on our 76 trillium in Calgary as well.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201003_170653576.jpg   PXL_20201003_170628150.jpg  

JPr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium