Hello Everyone! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: in the market
Ohio
Hello Everyone!

Hi! New member from OH...I am the one on the left : )

Looking for older 13' 14' Scamp or Burro type trailers. Have a cap of $3k to $5k price range.
jmcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome. Best wishes finding a fgrv. Hopefully you'll be lucky and find something soon. If not, don't give up. The wait will be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, John!

Given the recent run-up in used prices (especially affecting the smallest eggs), your budget mostly fits older trailers that need some work. The trick is distinguishing between units that need mostly cosmetic and light mechanical work and units that have serious structural issues (i.e., cracked frames, rotten floors, and serious issues with the shell). The Buyer's Checklist here is a helpful resource when you go to inspect a trailer. The first link is about vintage Bolers, but it's a good read for anyone considering a vintage unit. The second link is generic for any molded fiberglass trailer.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello Everyone!

Don't know how many people you have, but the Hunter Compacts make nice 2-person trailers, and they're often somewhat less expensive than the more familiar Boler-Scamp-UHaul-Burro types.

Probably too far, but there's one for sale now in OR on www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com with some pictures.

There's also a Trillium in TN, but no price listed. They're similar in size and weight to Scamps, etc.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi John and Welcome to the group from the non-eggers as well LOL

As Jon in AZ mentioned, the prices on used units have bee running up more than a bit lately with some like condition examples seemingly doubling in price in the past 5 years. "Older" may not always result in a lower price as it is condition that sells FGRV's. And we have also seen some units that, if offered as a gift, might not be a good deal, so be careful what you look at. That said, history shows us that good buys usually last less than a few days when advertised.

Just so we can help you with any possible limitations, tell us what you will be towing with, some FGRV's are a but heavier than they appear and some vehicles have lower towing limits than expected.

Good luck in your search

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
In addition to the solid advice in the previous posts, be ready to move quickly and watch out for scammers. Best of luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: in the market
Ohio
Hi Everybody

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will be using a 2005 Jeep Liberty 4WD 3.7 L to pull with.
jmcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds great for your 13' dreams.
It looks like your towing limit is 2000 lbs, but double check in your owners manual for the actual tow limit for your vehicle.

Here is a link that lists actual "Real World" weights of typical trailers actually in use. Hope this helps
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html .

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
The good news is that this is the time when trailers will probably be at their most affordable. Come Spring everyone else starts looking for them too and the prices go up accordingly. I hope you will take the advice above and carry a check out check list with you (mentally if not an actual hard copy) and don't jump too fast without knowing what you're getting. I was a babe in the woods buying my Burro a few years ago, but due to finding a very honest seller (and a lot of dumb luck) I got a good one.

You are well equipped for towing with that V6 Jeep... if it has the towing package you are good to go, and if not you should be able to get a frame mounted (Reese™ type) tow hitch and the wiring installed for a reasonable price. I've towed my Burro with a 2000 Astro and a 1993 Blazer S, both with the Vortec V6 and it did fine... I just bought a 2003 Honda CRV and had the tow stuff (factory type) added. I'll see soon whether this is enough muscle for the job.

Good luck,
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Green Frog;562799]. I just bought a 2003 Honda CRV and had the tow stuff (factory type) added. I'll see soon whether this is enough muscle for the job.

We have a 2003 CRV that we have used to tow our Uhaul CT13. Works good, but is close to it's 1500 lb tow limit. Probably a total of 8 to 10 thousand miles with the Honda, and most of the time with a lot of stuff packed in the car. The Uhaul doesn't have brakes.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Thanks for that, Mary & Bob. My mechanic told me he was sure it would work, but he was also the guy trying to sell me on buying a CRV.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Charlie, only mod I made was a set of towing mirrors that clamp on the stock mirrors. I had a slight clearance issue between the hitch and exhaust pipe. Good idea is to check hitch attaching bolts occasionally, including the center u-bolt if your hitch has it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote