hello folks! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
hello folks!

I've been lurking here for a while and finally its looking like I will be getting something soon! i lived aboard a sailboat for the last 8 years or so and it was just declared totalled from the insurance company today. 2 years ago a friend got me back into camping again and i built myself a wee tiny gypsy vardo to camp in because the setup of tents and ropebeds was getting old lol.

Well ive decided since most of the marina's in New Jersey were mostly devastated from sandy, decided its time to do something different and ive been reading online and well familiar with fiberglass so I think a scamp or casita is in my future.

Ive got a budget, and i know i can afford a new 13 footer with front bathroom with a shower but am looking for a 16, just for the side dinette so the back dinette can stay a bed. so Iknow this is a personal thing but whats really the difference between scamp and casita? I do want a propane fridge,, have personnel experience with 12 volt fridges and would need to run a generator to keep the battery charged...i usually boon dock camp, so no ac power to plug into.

I've debated a relatively newer used fg trailer but they seem rarer on the east coast. Question...is the side bathroom smaller or larger then the front bathroom? i am single, one day the idea of fulltimeing sounds appealing but that's 20+ years away for me, but from living on a 27 foot boat for so long the 16 footer wouldn't be a problem lol

thanks,

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: Taylor
Trailer: 2016 19' Escape
Idaho
Registry
Scamp/Casita

Deryk - first - my sympathies to you and the many other folks who sustained life-changing devastation with Sandy.
I'm anxious to hear other, more experienced folks weigh in on your question but here is my take. My wife and I acquired a 16 side dinette 2002 Scamp a year ago and loved it! We spent 45 nights in it this past camping season and were looking forward to many more years of exploration with it - when a 17' 2007 Casita SD became available to us a month ago. We felt that if we could get a good price on the Scamp we would buy the Casita - and it all came to pass. We haven't been able to camp yet (major frustration) but I would say this - they are more alike than different. The floor plan is almost identical ... the bed is a foot wider ... a good thing. The Casita has some minor features that appeal to us ... but my advice would be to buy the first quality unit (Casita or Scamp) that becomes available. Our Scamp sold immediately (for the same price I had paid) and I wished I had 3 more just like it. The units - if well taken care of - definitely maintain their value. Good luck in your search.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Deryk, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here.

I too would like to offer my sympathies for the recent devastation and sorry to hear you lost your home.

Just as Taylor mentioned, jump on the first quality trailer that comes along. Either Scamp or Casita or Escape or, or, or... you won't go wrong with all molded.

BTW: the side bath is much smaller than a front bath. But, every inch put into a bathroom has to come from someplace else. I figure I'm only in that facility for a very brief time and would rather have space elsewhere... like a bigger kitchen or closet. YMMV

Good luck on your egg hunt
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Deryk,
Welcome to FGRV. So sorry you lost your boat in the storm.
I recall your vardo build from the TNTTT forum. My teardrop is tucked away in my son's workshop waiting for him and I to finish it. Meanwhile I've been enjoying my Scamp.
And speaking of Scamps...here's one in your neck of the woods. Might be worth look. I wouldn't be towing it with a VW Beetle tho.
1991 scamp 16ft camper
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Deryk, I am also sorry to hear you suffered a loss due to Sandy.

I have a 16' Scamp side bath and I to would like to have a full time table for eating as I do use my trailer a lot. Having looked at the Casita and Scamp front baths I agree with others that it feels a little like you loose some space with that layout but there is another option - an Escape 17' B plan. It has a side bath and small table up front. Escape all the way down the west coast has become a real favorite with the fiberglass trailer crowed and there are also a number of them popping up on the east coast - either people have driven to BC to collect them or have had them delivered to them. You can see them at Escapetrailers.com They are a little hard to find used but on their website you will find a link to their owners forum and if one is on the market its a good bet it will be listed there. They were up until a couple of years ago impossible to find used but when Escape stated making a 19' trailer a number of people moved up in size and sold their 17's. Escape is going to start producing a 21' trailer..... so if your willing to wait about 6 months there is good bet you will see some more used 17's on the market.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you go new, eggcamper is another idea, might be a closer drive than Scamp.

Not fiberglass but also in MI http://www.paradisecoastrv.com
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #7

New Jersey
Registry
... and thanks folks, its been a real stressful month since the hurracaine, but little by little it will start falling into place. I think i found an apartment within walking distance of my job, which is a real plus with riseing gas prices... once Im moved in and get my insurance settlement I can start breathing again lol.

I did email the scamp for sale in NJ, its alot older then what Im looking for, since I will have 15 or 16k in my hand all at once, the idea of buying one in as nice a shape as possible has a huge appeal. Now I was looking at pictures and Im pretty sure the front couch could become a dinette with a little surgery...

I don't really like the look of the egg camper, too sterile and they dont offer the propane option. I mainly boon dock when Im camping and from experience on the boat, a fridge can kill batteries in no time. I reallllly like the look of the Paradise coast rv, its beautifal... but too heavy, my rav4 has a 3500lb tow capacity, and that trailer is like 2900lbs dry. The escape, plan b is pretty nice but Im hopeing to have the trailer in the next 2 months.

The state campgrounds are real cheap during the winter and Id be willing to grab a friend and just go away on a nice clear weekend to just not be at home. And april my friends start camping so I want to have it and start makeing it my 2nd home... funky looking upholstery and curtains and all that lol.

Well once the check clears I will be doing some driveing looking at trailers. Its too bad the one listed here up in NY state, they are heading south for the winter next week... it looks well taken careof

deryk
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Deryk if you havent already found it Fiberglass-rv-4sale is a good site to keep a close eye on.

Good luck with your new apartment and on your search for a trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
I got my sales packet in the mail today from scamp, and the 13 with the front bathroom/shower looks real tempting to me. Im still thinkin of checkin out a few newer used 16's sucks everything is so far away lol.

so i heard scamp puts a water tank under one side of the rear settee, whats on the other side?

thanks

deryk
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
so i heard scamp puts a water tank under one side of the rear settee, whats on the other side?

thanks

deryk
In my oldy 16' Scamp Deluxe the hot water heater, converter and electrical cord.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Donna!

Hey got a question for you, how has the gelcoat on yours holding up? Do you keep it in a garage or under a cover when not in use?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #12

Deryk, the gel coat is fine and in pretty dang good shape for a trailer that's 24 years old. I built a 18'x25' carport for it about seven years ago. Best thing I ever did for it!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
Nice Donna! I dont think my parents will go for that lol (its gonna be stored in their driveway, since I cant keep it with me, but like I tell them...you will only see me more often ) I will buy a cover for it.

Ive been emailing people off craigslist and the fiberglass rv's site but the one I got through to are headin south for the winter not coming home till april...without their scamp lol or I'd consider meeting them. Dont want to drive more then 10 hours to go look at one, just too much gas...there is a dealer in louisianna that has 3 casita's but its a real long trek, dont want to blow my limited vacation time to drive down, buy it drive back and there is 4 days lol. Sooner or later one will come around for me.

deryk
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #14

Deryk, I don't know where in New Jersey you're located, but I searched Fiberglass RV's For Sale for New Jersey ads and came up with these: Trailers for sale in New Jersey

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Deryk,

Maybe you should test a few campers out before buying. Many people who buy 13' campers later find themselves wanting larger ones. Many people would let you check theirs out before you buy one.

If you are handy, there has been a 16' VT Uhaul fixer-upper for sale in NY on Craigslist for a while if it is still there.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Donna, I did email the more recent ad for a 3rd time... I hate when people dont take an ad down if its sold or email you back "sold" just so you know.

I saw another one come up in florida lol... just too far. I came across a casita in rhode island, had 1 picture...asked for more pictures and some questions, got amessage back would have them by last weekend...still no responce. There is a newer one in NC, wants 13k, which unless its a 2012 for the side bath front couch its almost the cost of a new one.

I did email someone here who has the 2010 scamp 13 deluxe wood.... looks real nice inside, and sadly Im usually always solo, so if I convert the dinette to a foldup couch could drop it down for company or leave it as a couch with a 30" wide base so I can sleep on it and tuck my sheets and blankets behind it during the day, and I have this nifty teak table and bracket from my boat Swing-Away Table Pedestal 1660105 that has a bracket that would mount on the side of the dinette and you can loosen it a little and it will swing out of the way when not needed....I think the 13 could be nice and cozy!

deryk
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #17

Name: jerry
Trailer: Casita Spirit Delux
Virginia
Hello, We have a 2008 casita spirit delux with all opitions encluding solar panel. I love to chat with you concerning your new life style with camping. I lived on Long Island for 36 years having fun boating and fishing. I am detailing the camper and plan to list it with pictures next week. I forgot to give you contact information. Phone #804.758.1675 or email salmon underscore gerald @ yanoo.com Good luck
jollyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #18

New Jersey
Registry
Well the 13 is sold... Gerald sent you an email about our casita

Wish the other dozen people I emailed would respond lol... this weekend I am moveing into my new place, not really an apartment, more like a rowhome... cant wait to get that part overwith lol. Hopeing the following weekend to start lookin at some trailers!

deryk
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Deryk; I was thinking about you today, we are in a campground in SC, and a couple from California came in with a nice Vardo. Built on a tandem axle trailer, about 16 feet long or so. We got a quick look in it, it was a three year project, and they did a nice job. Good luck on your search for a camper. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Closer Manufacturers

Hi, Deryk.
Sorry to hear of your recent losses but life is like that.
I'm surprised no one has pointed out that there are several very fine trailers made much closer to your location:

ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers -

in Gibsonville, NC

and

Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

in St. Matthews, SC

LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER

in GRANDVILLE, MI

Good luck on your quest. As a former sailor, I groove on your sailing. We had a Balboa 20 for 30 years and towards the end did not get the use that we should have and sold it. Strangely enough, we used it more when we lived in Wisconsin than we have since moving to Washington what with Puget Sound and all. Our kids were older and our life styles changed with the move.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote