Hello from 6'6" looking for tall one - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: shopping for tall RV
CA
Hello from 6'6" looking for tall one

Hi, I got drawn here for the EggCamper since I'm 6'6".
If I understand well they aren't produced anymore?
I'm on a tight budget and would love to get one to travel the USA for my own company (I make bicycles for tall!)...
If anyone has leads, please bring it on!
Thanks!
David
PS: I'm based in NY area and Bay Area. I will travel for the right one.
davidfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Tight budget and 6-6? Then a FG trailer may not be best for you. My understanding the “Egg” brand is the choice for you. Very limited supply, stopped making them so they go high. FG trailers in general go towards the high end, and when you eliminate 99% of the possibilities out there you might have to pay top dollar.

Most stick built trailers rapidly depreciate and the supply is robust so they fit tight budgets better.

Either that or do something to create a larger trailer budget so you can pounce on one when it shows up. Your competition, other buyers, often have cash in hand. It’s a tough market for sure! On my Escape, I offered full price on day one and by day two seller was getting offers above full price. And I don’t think I got some great deal either.

Most sellers here drop in briefly to post their trailer for sale and usually don’t update their ad when it sells. So the people with the old adds are typically gone as is their trailer. I wish the forum required some simple response from sellers say every ten days to verify item is still for sale as it frustrates buyers! Best work around is to check Craigslist in the seller’s area. If it’s off CL is usually gone.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
David, you might try this one. They actually recently posted their phone number.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-86568-2.html
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

CA
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Most stick built trailers rapidly depreciate and the supply is robust so they fit tight budgets better.
I have looked into small regular trailers and checked interior heights. They are around $10K or $15K. I think the brands were Dutchmen (for tall people, really!) or Jayco. Let me know if you know other ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Best work around is to check Craigslist in the seller’s area. If it’s off CL is usually gone.
Yes, scouted CL via SearchTempest and nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
David, you might try this one. They actually recently posted their phone number.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-86568-2.html
Yes saw that one and message, but I had missed the phone number. Will call Chris! Thanks!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, that is an active ad, I'd get on the phone immediately. Looks like a good one!

Good luck!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Check this thread for a new 6' 5" offering. May not fit tight budgets:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post720401
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #7

Name: Rose
Trailer: Eggcamper
North Carolina
2009 Eggcamper with propane appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post

We are just getting our well cared for Egg ready for sale. After the first 5 years we started boondocking more and began switching over to all propane appliances. NOW HAVE DOMETIC 3WAY FRIG, SUBURBAN WATER HEATER, SUBURBAN FURNACE. ALL IN GOOD WORKING ORDER
New tires . New foam mattress. Renogy 100 watt portable panel with installed charge controller.
2 6 volt deep cycle batteries. ( New this yeay).
Price $20,000. North Carolina
Rose P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
Hi, I got drawn here for the EggCamper since I'm 6'6".
If I understand well they aren't produced anymore?
I'm on a tight budget and would love to get one to travel the USA for my own company (I make bicycles for tall!)...
If anyone has leads, please bring it on!
Thanks!
David
PS: I'm based in NY area and Bay Area. I will travel for the right one.
I know that my little popup top, vintage Trailswest Campster trailer can have the popup top extended high enough for a 6/6" person. The original height of it works for a 6'3" person. But when creating new canvas for it last year I did note that by making the canvas taller in height when fabricating the replacement fabric that it could go up another 4 or more inches in height as the support mechanism would extend that extra amount without any modification.

There are companies around that are selling popup roof sections for vans, some of those go up quite high so it might be that a tall van with a popup will give you lots of overhead space. Sometimes you can find popup roof sections in junk yards, look for the ones from a VW van. I might be possible to convert one of the fiberglass trailers that has a fairly flat roof into a popup roof trailer. Perhaps one of the Bigfoot trailers. Much depends on how you engineer the support for the popup section.

But also take a look at the Dub Box trailers, while their main products are new fiberglass trailers that company does make and sell custom sized popup roofs. Because they make their own popups they might be able to make the change in height to match your personal needs.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #9

CA
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I've looked into the Touring GT trailer, it says 6'5" when the roof is open....
Thanks all for the other replies!