Hello from a hopeful owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

Name: Molly
Trailer: Hopeful Future Owner
Minnesota
Hello from a hopeful owner!

Hello all from Minnesota! My husband and I are looking to buy our first camper within the next two years. We have a small tow vehicle (a Dodge Journey) and our tow limit is around 2500 pounds. We've been researching a lot of different trailer and types of trailer and it looks like a fiberglass trailer is what we are looking for: small, lightweight, but still roomy enough to hang out in in case of inclement weather. We usually spend most of our time outdoors when we do go camping (unless weather is an issue) and we hope to travel long distances. Would love owners inputs on the trailers they love (and ones they have not loved so much). Scamp is at the top of our list currently (the 16 foot) due to price, reputation, and weight. But open to any other fiberglass that fits in our weight range (and needs to sleep 4-two adults, 2 kids). Looking forward to the day we have our own fiberglass and can start touring the country! Thanks in advance for any advice/information/help you can provide!
Molly
Molly Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Welcome and hope you find what will fit your needs. Again welcome.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman M Parker View Post
Welcome and hope you find what will fit your needs. Again welcome.
Thanks Herman!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Molly!

Scamp has several models that could fit the bill. Be aware of several things, though.
(1) The main dinette bed is 45"x75". It's snug for two. There is a 54" "big bed" option, but only on the 13'er and deluxe models. It steals space from the galley and closet.
(2) The upper bunk is weight limited to around 120#. That's based on a phone call to Scamp, nothing in print, but it seems about right based on my experience.
(3) The 16' models can easily approach or exceed 2500# loaded with options and gear. If you stay fairly basic and pack lightly it might work. It'll be close.

We manage with four people in a 13'er. One adult and one kid in the rear bed sleeping in opposite directions, and one adult and one kid on the front bunks. We cook and eat mostly outside, but with beds stowed we can all comfortably eat or hang out inside if necessary. We stay in developed campgrounds with facilities (state parks, mostly), so the lack of bathroom has not been a problem.

Since you're from the Land of Scamp, you might consider a trip to the factory, where you can probably see several layouts and try them on for size. If that's not convenient, the Scamp sales department has a referral program in which they set you up with a local owner for a demo. Should be plenty in MN.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:06 AM   #5

Minnesota
That is very helpful info! Yeah, our main reason for going wth the 16'er was negated of the small bathroom, but like you we'll probably mainly stay in places wth facilities. Great things to think about! Thanks for the response!
Old 05-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #6

Name: Trever
Trailer: Scamp 13
ND
Molly,

Not sure what part of MN you are from, but there is a 16' scamp on craigslist now in western MN, near Moorhead

https://fargo.craigslist.org/rvs/d/s...583207196.html

Might not be the layout your looking for though, with a bathroom instead of bunks. If you're close, you might want to drive over and kick the tires anyway.
NDorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDorion View Post
Molly,

Not sure what part of MN you are from, but there is a 16' scamp on craigslist now in western MN, near Moorhead

https://fargo.craigslist.org/rvs/d/s...583207196.html

Might not be the layout your looking for though, with a bathroom instead of bunks. If you're close, you might want to drive over and kick the tires anyway.
Thanks! If it doesn't sell soon maybe we'll make a trip over.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Very marginal tow wise on the 16. Check weights in the real world thread.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The thread Bill refers to is Trailer Weights in the Real World. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet you can filter by make and model. I'd guess most of the Scamp 16's are fairly well-optioned: full bath, water heater, large fridge, furnace, A/C, large battery, dual LP tanks, awning... You would need to be very selective in your option list and loading to keep a 16'er under 2500#.

Two other considerations...

One, tow ratings are based on two "average" adults and no cargo in the vehicle. Additional passengers and cargo reduce the tow rating. That could be a factor with four people.

Two, a Scamp 16 sits on a higher suspension than a 13, so frontal area is greater. That places more demand on the drivetrain, especially the transmission, at higher speeds and against headwinds. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of guidance regarding how much allowance to make for frontal area.

I have towed our 13'er uphill into 40 mph headwinds and it feels like you're dragging an anchor! For comparison, we tow with a 3500# rated, 250hp V6, 2WD Honda Pilot and four people.

Is your Journey a 4 or 6 cylinder? FWD or AWD? Tow package?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote