Hello from Alabama ! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
Hello from Alabama !

Hello from Gulf Shores Alabama. I am Bruce Bullington, owner of Lighthouse Marine. I specialize in air conditioning/ refrigeration/ a/c and d/c wiring on boats. I am wanting to either build or buy a small fg trailer, maybe within the next year. Hope to learn from you and if I can help you I will offer advise. Thanks for allowing me to join.
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello from Alabama !

Welcome, Bruce!

Do you also have some experience in fiberglass repair and/or fabrication? These eggs are laid up in molds, usually two for the exterior shell: top and bottom or left and right. Building from scratch means creating the molds. But there are a fair number of "project" status trailers out there that would make a good first go. The older it is the more likely there will be plenty of wiring and other mechanical work to keep you happy.

And if you come up with a really good solution to adding AC to vintage eggs (many of which can't structurally support an RV-type roof unit) without spending a marine-grade fortune... Well, you'll be a hero here!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

Alabama
Yes I have fiberglass experience, repair and production, both one off projects and building a plug then mold. Just haven't built in the size required for a camper ! Was thinking of doing a modified stitch and glue with Penske board already glassed on both sides from the factory. Not sure yet which way I may go. I doubt that building would be cheaper than buying, but I do love a challenge ! lol
Old 10-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

Alabama
If I build one as I have described above, I may get kicked outta here. It may be more of a teardrop shape than an egg shape, but still be a fg shell.