Hello from Alaska - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2022, 02:09 AM   #1

Name: Justin
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alaska
Hello from Alaska

Hello everyone,

I am a 28 year old medically retired vet from Alaska in search of a 16'(preferably) or 13' scamp for myself and my best friend Moose, a beautiful Dogue De Bordeaux. I am divorced and currently unemployed due to some hardships and living with family to help with medical concerns. I've done a lot of research and have decided the scamp is the one, it seems everyone else has as well because they are hard to find. I would like to keep my budget below 20k if possible as I don't have much to work with. I am new to forums so I wasn't sure if I should post this to the " Hi I am" thread or a different one. Anyway, thank you all for your time.
Nomadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:27 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Welcome! You should be able to find a nice Scamp or comparable within your budget. Obviously the farther you are willing to travel, the more choices you'll have. However, I feel compelled to offer unsolicited advice. Being unemployed, it may not be the best time to splurge on an RV. Best of luck!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:03 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome! I appreciate your service and hope you can find a path to rebuild your life and health.

Since you’re from Alaska, realize that Scamps aren’t constructed for serious cold weather use. If your research turned up Scamp’s claim of R15 insulation, know that it’s bogus, based on a faulty interpretation of the product specs for the foil bubble wrap they use as insulation. They’re great trailers, but the reality is more like R2-3.

In addition, large single pane windows leak heat like a sieve, while drain lines and the holding tank hang unprotected below the cabin. In sustained below-freezing conditions you’ll have to winterize the plumbing and use it dry. The furnace will burn through a lot of propane, but a few adventurous people have put in a tiny wood stove (Cubic Mini) to supplement the propane furnace.

So I guess it depends on how you plan to use the trailer. If you travel, you can follow warmer weather. There’s lots of free boondocking land in the deserts of AZ and CA where a Scamp could be quite comfortable in winter. But if you’re thinking year-round use in AK, you might need to reconsider.

Best wishes in your quest!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #4

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Welcome! You should be able to find a nice Scamp or comparable within your budget. Obviously the farther you are willing to travel, the more choices you'll have. However, I feel compelled to offer unsolicited advice. Being unemployed, it may not be the best time to splurge on an RV. Best of luck!
I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere within the US for one. And I plan on living it it full time. Much more affordable than a house or rent.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:41 AM   #5

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome! I appreciate your service and I hope you can find a path to rebuild your life.

Since you’re from Alaska, realize that Scamps aren’t really constructed for cold weather use. If your research turned up Scamp’s claim of R15 insulation, know that it’s bogus, based on a faulty interpretation of the product specs for the foil bubble wrap they use as insulation. They’re great trailers, but the reality is more like R2-3.

In addition, large single pane windows leak heat like a sieve, and drain lines and holding tank hang unprotected below the cabin. In sustained below-freezing conditions you’ll have to winterize the plumbing and use it dry. The furnace will burn through a lot of propane, but a few adventurous people have put in a tiny wood stove (Cubic Mini) to supplement the propane furnace.

So I guess it depends on how you plan to use the trailer. If you travel, you can follow warmer weather. There’s lots of free boondocking land in the deserts of AZ and CA where a Scamp could be quite comfortable. But if you’re thinking year-round use in AK, you might need to reconsider.

Best wishes in your quest!
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Yes I'm aware of the true insulation capabilities. I do plan on living in it full time, and would definitely have to add extras insulation for the underbody, dry camp in winter, and most likely add the wood stove like you mentioned. The overall plan is to find some property eventually and basically build a heated shed for the scamp until I can slowly build a house. Not looking for anything extravagant. Just want a simple life.

I have quite literally done years researching this stuff lol. The price of a scamp has significantly increased from the time I've found them till now. But I justify it by saying that for about 20k I'm buying a lightweight house that I can fit anywhere.

Until then, definitely going somewhere warmer because as beautiful as Alaska is, the cold gets old. And as someone who has slept in a tent in -60F I feel I've experienced true cold.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Justin
It seems you've thought this out pretty thoroughly and I wish you the best of success. I do think you should broaden your search a bit, at least to consider the Casita Patriot. Very comparable to the 13' Scamp.
And there's one thing going for you. With a fiberglass trailer if you decide it doesn't work out the resale value has traditionally been very good so it won't be a disaster if you do decide to sell it.

Rooting for you., Walt.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Justin
It seems you've thought this out pretty thoroughly and I wish you the best of success. I do think you should broaden your search a bit, at least to consider the Casita Patriot. Very comparable to the 13' Scamp.
And there's one thing going for you. With a fiberglass trailer if you decide it doesn't work out the resale value has traditionally been very good so it won't be a disaster if you do decide to sell it.

Rooting for you., Walt.
Or the Casita 16' (since he indicated a preference for the larger Scamp). Scamp does have several advantages over the Casita in my book, including a few extra inches of headroom, a large rear slider for better ventilation, a screen door, and an optional larger fridge (16' only).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:14 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
MOST fiberglass "egg" trailers are in high demand. This was true even before the pandemic hysteria. Most likely due to the general high build quality vs "conventionally" built trailers and their easier to maintain status. The Canadian marques like Bigfoot & Escape (there may be other brands) might do better as a TRUE four season camper. Oliver is known for it's GREAT customer service and build quality (which of course allows them to command a premium price. Be ready to act quickly when a good candidate is found as "eggs" tend to sell quickly.

NOTE:If you already have a tow vehicle, BE SURE to stay within its' tow parameters and, allow AT LEAST a 10% safety margin (15% would be better). Generally speaking, it's better to get the trailer FITST. Then you'll know EXACTLY how much tow vehicle you need to buy. Don't kid yourself; weights add up VERY fast and, it's easy to wind up overweight in one or more parameters.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
...NOTE:If you already have a tow vehicle, BE SURE to stay within its' tow parameters and, allow AT LEAST a 10% safety margin (15% would be better). Generally speaking, it's better to get the trailer FITST. Then you'll know EXACTLY how much tow vehicle you need to buy. Don't kid yourself; weights add up VERY fast and, it's easy to wind up overweight in one or more parameters.

And remember, cargo capacity will disappear faster than tow capacity. Be aware of both and make sure you can haul everything you want/need and still be safe and within the law.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote