Hello from Blue Ridge Mountains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 AM   #1

Name: MJ
Trailer: Park Liner
GA
Hello from Blue Ridge Mountains

Hey from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia. I am looking for a f/g travel trailer for temporary FT living (6 mo -1 yr) and have been binge researching as best I can but doing this isn't sustainable, I must sleep at some point.

Here we get temps that dip down to freezing (32 or below) for 4 or 5 days in the winter and in the summer it gets hot and humid. I'm looking for a 17' or 19' f/g trailer that can handle both conditions. I have read a lot of comments about double hulls and I am fine without (= lighter tow and less expensive) as long as I am relatively sure nothing will freeze & burst on me when the temp drops for 5 or so days and also keeps me from roasting in warmer climates.

The trailer also has to comply with my 2005 Honda Pilot tow package with ease even though it will be stationary most of the time. On a few occasions I will I need to be able to pull it. My dealership says I would have to install something extra under the hood (really?) even though the towing capacity on the spec sheet says good to 3,500. I have never pulled a trailer and can't afford to tear up my Honda. Can't consider anything smaller as I need a bit of space to live if I will be in it for up to a year.

Thanks for any good tips or advice.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
I believe the Bigfoot travel trailers are 4 seasons and a 17 ft should be within your towing capability. Others will chime in I am sure with more details and models.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The answer will depend on what your occasional towings will consist of.
Any 17' FG trailer with bathroom, full galley and AC that I'm familiar with would be pushing the 3500 lb rating of your Pilot when loaded for use.
How I would evaluate that would be to say no to cross country camping trips, but not worry much about a few trips of a couple hundred miles or so during the year.

Walt
Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Key word on Bigfoot: SOME are four season (some aren't). You can bet a four season trailer will be heavier than its 3 season competition.

As far as terrain, depending on where in the Blue Ridge Mountains, there are plenty of steep grades. Where I live north of you, I can't go a block without going up a grade, and less than a mile and I am into a steep grade. People that have attended the Cherokee Rally can vouch for the grades around here.

Many avoid the four season problem by heading south when it gets cold. Most of the three season rigs have at least a portion of the plumbing, black and gray water tanks, exposed to the weather. And mine also has the water tank exposed. Simple solution if you stay in a colder area is to get really good at winterizing your trailer. In my area, we will get cold snaps, but its not too long, say a week or so. People have put temporary skirting around the bottom of their trailer, along with some heat, to keep pipes warm.

On towing capacity, its a lot more complicated than just the raw tow rating. You also have tongue weight limits, payload limits, gross combined weight limits, and more. And yes, unless your Pilot came with a factory tow package, you will need stuff under the hood.

I know several people living full time in campers. I can't think of a single one that has a four season trailer. But all of them move during the winter months.

Also realize on weight, its a lot different packing your rig for a week of camping than living full time. Expect to be on the high end weight wise, unless you have access to a storage unit.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Tinkerbelle,

if you can find a Northern Lite Trailer I think all of those were built 4 season.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #6

GA
Northern-lite

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the website. Unfortunately, a truck camper would require me to sell my Honda Pilot and buy a truck - more cost/hassle. I was supposed to get a family member's truck that he used to pull a fifth wheel but that fell through.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #7

GA
Thumbs up Honda Pilot and a f/g TT

Thank you everybody for the tips and the confirmation that, indeed, I will need to get the dealership to do some modification to my Pilot so that I can tow something. My guess is that I won't be able to pull more than a 17' tt and maybe not even that. I am taking the Pilot to the dealership tomorrow along with some spec sheets of TTs that I like to see if they can educate me on my limitations. I am clueless regarding tongue weight limit, payload limit, etc. Thanks for prepping me for when I talk with the mechanic.

Yes, I thought about how much stuff one might need for living 6+months in one. I had planned to rent a storage unit so I could swap things out each season.

My plan is to buy land in Fla on which I can build a small off-grid (or mostly) home. The trailer - after solar modifications - would be handy for staying on the property during the build and I could always check into a State Park for a night if needed to top off anything. Then, when I return to visit family for the holidays this coming winter I wanted to be able to stay in my trailer, leaving more bedroom space for others (and a sanctuary from everyone if needed ;-) - - hence, the concern about freezing temps for 4-5 days in a row AND how cool I could stay w/o AC in Fla the rest of the year. Plus, I would love to take it up north or the PNW: places where I used to live.

Will keep you posted. Again, thank you for the advice.