Hello from California, from hopeful fiberglass RV seeker - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
ACC

Name: Anne
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Smile Hello from California, from hopeful fiberglass RV seeker

I am new to this forum and community and I appreciate the amazing amount of information here. We haven't yet bought a fiberglass RV, but right now they are at the top of our shopping list. (I posted in WANTED, but figured if I post here too, it's a good way to introduce myself AND ask for any advice anyone feels is apropos.)

My husband is retiring soon and as tent campers, we are shopping for an RV in order to expand our traveling options. We hope to camp more within California (3-4 days at a time) as well as make some interstate road trips. We would prefer a pre-owned trailer, and even though we have a 1/2 ton pickup for NOW, we would like an RV that is very small and lightweight. (We have also looked at the A-line campers and even researched the old Apache hard-sided fold outs.)

We suspect we will do most of our traveling without hook-ups but don't plan to have a generator because of their noise--a personal thing. Most important to us is having a toilet (porta-potty PREFERRED over flush toilet with black water tank), preferably in its own private space (with some kind of surround). We would prefer to have at least a 2-person dinette separate from the bed (a double bed is sufficient), but if the right trailer comes along, we might consider a trailer where the dinette makes into the bed--which we know is common in smaller trailers.

Other than those desires, my biggest concern is that my husband is 6' tall, and he really wouldn't want to have to stoop the entire time he's in the trailer. So, I'm wondering if our preferences plus my husband's height eliminate a great many of the smallest fiberglass trailers?

We are in CA, about 4 hours from both San Francisco and Los Angeles (and willing to travel to buy the right RV), and fiberglass trailers don't come up for sale locally very often. So, we're having to do a lot of internet research. Thanks in advance for any help!

Anne
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Anne!

In addition to Internet research (manufacturers' websites and classified ads) you might want to attend a fiberglass egg rally. There you can see many different kinds in person. Some rallies have a time for open house tours. Contact event coordinators for advice on scheduling a visit. The "Rallies" section of the forum has all the information and links.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #3

Name: Paige
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Bigfoot 17.5?

Hi Anne,
I've owned a 13foot Perris Pacer, which is similar to a Scamp, Burro etc... and they have a max interior height of 5'11" at the highest point I think. I think the larger Casitas aren't much taller inside but maybe 6'? My husband got fed up with smacking his head at the top of the doorway, which is a lot lower than 5'11" so I purchased a Bigfoot 17.5 dlx

Mine is a 1994 and is maybe 6'3" inside? The ceiling isn't domed so it's that way from end to end. Very small bathroom with toilet, shower and sink. The rear bed is small, so is the dinette bed so we use both beds to sleep comfortably. Weight is somewhere around 3,000 lbs loaded and tongue weight perhaps 275? Your truck should be fine.

If you are anywhere near Morro Bay, CA - you're welcome to check mine out.
Paige C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
ACC

California
Thanks Jon, for the suggestion. There is actually a rally just about 2.5 hours away, later this month, so hopefully we can attend that!

And, Paige, thanks for the information about the Perris Pacer. I would be interested in seeing your Bigfoot! (I'll message you.)
Old 10-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Regarding height...
Most of the Boler/Scamp/Casita-style 13'ers have less than 6' headroom. Late model (2007+) Scamp 13s were redesigned for more headroom after a factory fire in 2006. Casita 16s are also less than 6', but Scamp 16s (all years) are taller.

All the larger models (17' and up) are good, as are all of the newer designs (Parkliner, Lil Snoozy, EggCamper, Escape, Happier Camper).

With other vintage models, you'll just have to take it on a case-by-case basis.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I am 6' And have the 16' side dinette front bath. The 4 person dinette makes into a small double bed. The side dinette folds down to make a comfortable single bunk. I only bump my head on the roof AC of which you will not have. You can order the side dinette without the bath and have the privacy/storage space you require. I can stretch out fine on the double bed or the side bunk. Good luck on your search. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #7

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I think that attending a rally is a good idea. My planning, once I realized that my bad back left out hiking the FT, AT, and NC trails, was first for an Aspen motorcycle camper with popup tent. Then started thinking about needing hard side walls to camp in certain parks- is it Yellowstone or Yosemite that only allows hard sided campers due to problems with bears tearing into cars and or tents?? So I started looking at Teardrops. The Aspen and Teardrops can be pulled with a 4 cylinder economy car.

Then as my back got worse, I started thinking about needing more interior space, and I really thought the RPod was the answer. I got very enthusiastic about RPods- till we saw one at a dealership. I felt it was not a real wonderful use of space and didn't like the fact that it only came with slides. I had told my DH I did not want to pay for gas to haul a heavy slide mechanism down the road and pointed out the number of videos on YouTube that dealt with leakage around the slides. Plus, cats re-entered my life and we'de need enough space for them too.

Then I remembered seeing an occasional Scamp in the state parks when I was heading for the trailhead in the good old days. Googled for Scamp, and this was one of the websites that came up. Who knew there were so many different types of molded fiberglass trailers? I found Parkliner and Lilsnoozy close to my son's and daughter's families. So I made arrangements to tour factories on our next visits.

I did like the Parkliner, but DH SWEARS he'll be going camping with me, and as I mentioned, cats (plural) have re-entered my life. The Lil Snoozy really looked good to me. The spacious under bed storage with portals both inside and out will make a wonderful haven for the cats and their extralarge cat litter box, all we need to do is add some interior lights there. (I'm historically an ultra light packer, so wer'e not going to have that much STUFF in there. I felt we'de need an extra window to increase the natural light in the sofa area. The interior height is 6 ft 4 inches, and I am really quite pleased overall how it looked and felt. HOPEFULLY I'll be picking mine up soon!
I was concerned about the expense of buying a new RV, but when I started looking at the YouTubes of "what to look for in a used camper" I got scared away from used very quickly. Neither DH nor I are talented in rebuilding/repairing, so when I was thinking about purchasing new, I was very pleased to find the FG campers are reasonably priced.
Hoping you have fun in your research and that you enjoy the "thrill of the chase" and that your prize is everything you wanted.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
California
Anne,
We attended the Scamp Camp West last May and it was very helpful. We I'll be at the Lake Casita rally in Ojai and it will have many different types of FG trailers attending. It would be worth the drive and a couple nights tenting or in a hotel to check it out. We ended up with a new 17' Casita and are very happy. Folks are very helpful and welcoming so hope to see you there!

Jim
Jamesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If you search on this forum entering the words "head room" you will find lots of information. Click on the Search button and look at the bottom of the drop-down menu for the "Search Site/Google" window. Enter your words there.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
ACC

California
Thank you EVERYONE! Your posts have all been so helpful! We probably will attend the Lake Casitas rally.

Still doing lots of online searches and research! I'm a little concerned to see more owners than I expected dealing with leaks--even some with pretty new trailers. (I do know that maintenance/upkeep is important in ALL trailers, and FG ones are much better than stick ones in respect to leaks.) We had initially hoped to buy used, but it seems a little scary now.