Hello from David NY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2023, 09:10 AM   #1

Name: David NY
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
New York
Hello from David NY

First time poster, lurking for app a year, I guess. Time has been weird these past few years. Planning on retiring June 2024 from NYC school system. 20 years of car camping, backpacking, canoe tripping, winter camping and backyard camping! Haha, nothing like hearing the highway trucks and fire engines those cool chilly nights in the suburbs of Long Island (originally Queens boy). Had to test gear out first before going out.

After some tent camping driving to Colorado (visiting our daughter) and canoe camping in the Tetons I realized that an enclosed camper was a bit more comfortable for my family, plus a bit more safer when Yogi is walking around.
I didn't want a pop up and the tear drops were nice, then I stumbled across this website. I realized that a FGRV was a perfect choice.

Fast forward a 2020 Casita Liberty Deluxe was up for sale about 25 miles away from me, oh boy! I explained everything to my wife and showed her the prices that they were going for this summer, both used and new. I got the ok to buy it then she asked me about towing it. Uh Oh, both our Honda and Subaru are not strong enough I told her. Being the greatest wife ever she still agreed on buying it and waiting until 2024 to figure out a TV. I've been picking up little add on pieces to get it ready. No name yet. I did camp out in my driveway one night, a bit slanted because of our sloped driveway. It was weird sleeping outside surrounded by a shell and windows. I'm so used to tent camping with cots or air mattress. So that's us, Lina and David

I'm lucky that another Casita owner is close by and she has been a very good source of information. I want to thank everyone who has posted information, it's been very helpful to this newbi. I did join the Casita forum also. We would have liked to attend the NE rally but our son is getting married around that time and that's a blessing.
Best wishes to all.
David NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:21 AM   #2

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Welcome and congrats on te Casita....we love ours....great little trailers. Lots of threads out there on good tow vehicles.....do your homework.....find a good one and enjoy your camping experience. Personally....I like pick ups with good power.....like I said....lots of good TVs out there. Good luck. i
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #3

New York
Thanks Bob, We’ve talked on casita. I asked about 6 vs 8 cylinder. Cold feet here.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by David NY View Post
Thanks Bob, We’ve talked on casita. I asked about 6 vs 8 cylinder. Cold feet here.
V8 is the way to go. We are upstate, near Albany NY and tow our Casita 17 with a Dodge Ram pickup that has the Hemi V8
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:58 PM   #5

New York
Hi Bob, I work during the summers at a sleep away camp just south of you off route 22, by Copake Lake.

Maybe one summer day we could meet up.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:06 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
Hi Bob, I work during the summers at a sleep away camp just south of you off route 22, by Copake Lake.

Maybe one summer day we could meet up.
We are 7 miles from route 22 in Austerlitz NY, so Copake is a half hour from us. We have been to a campground in Copake that was a KOA, but since has been sold and no longer KOA. Back when it was a KOA there was a fiberglass camper rally there, probably about 2013 or so. Later there were a couple Vintage Camper rallies but they kind of fizzled out and we haven't been back there in a few years. We did the Spring Fling rally one time a few years ago but haven't been back as we do a vintage rally in Vermont which is the same time and much closer to us.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:39 PM   #7

New York
Yep, I know the place. The camp is 3/4 mile down the road on the left side away from the town, Camp Pontiac. Right across a state highway salt station? I've been there since 2006 I think. I remember the campground before it was a KOA. Then I wished I had bought it, but in reality it costs a lot of $ plus you need a ton of skills on upkeep which my wife says I lack.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:03 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Some journal photos from the 2013 Copake Rally.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 11:39 AM   #9

New York
First click on Jon's link to the Copake Rally brought up photos of Bash Bish Falls. It took me a minute to figure out I had to click on "next" to get to the next page which was rally photos. The very first photo is our Uhaul. Looking through the photos I realized that most of those people we never saw again, some, like us may have moved on to different trailers, and at least one couple has moved on to different spouses. On another note, last summer I discovered that for some reason access to Bash Bish had been closed off.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:24 PM   #10

New York
Thanks Jon, I'll take a look soon at the pics.

Mary and Bob, interesting about Bash Bish aka Copake Falls. I drive for the camp all over Boston (no longer I'm to tired) Lake George, Albany (crossgates mall) Hudson, doctors and we used to take them to Bash Bish falls aka Copake Falls. Problem at the falls is that quit a few were drinking and climbing up and jumping into the falls. Very dangerous as you know. So staff was banned from going there. Every year you hear about an accident, I hope that's not what happened when you went there. I go winter camping (hot tenting) at the camp for many years and walk up to the falls from the parking lot, beautiful area. The housing in Copake increased about 75%. When I drive to Wassaic the parking lot is packed. It used to be pretty empty. I'll be back at camp this summer, running the ice cream shop at night time. Stop by for a milkshake!

Last summer I went to that campground to look for any fiberglass trailers just to get it out of my system, no luck but everyone was so polite when I was walking around asking questions especially about tow vehicles.
Best to all. Enjoy your trips.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:33 PM   #11

New York
Thank you Jon for posting your pictures, loved it. I'm glad you showed how others are creating awnings with some of those pop up shelters. Plus a few tarp ideas that I heard about but never saw. I looked at awnings (fiamma?) and the price is just to much as of now.
The gathering reminded me of the AMC fall foliage paddle gatherings up in the Adirondacks. Food galore!

I have to send some pictures from my phone to this computer to post from Bash Bish. The bar/restaurant Wayside is a nightly favorite for our conselors.
The train bike trail is a nice flat section to ride. We used to camp out at Rudd Pond about 10 minutes south on 22 but if I recall that's a small area.

I'm going to check out more of your pictures and show my wife, this way she can understand more as the Casita sits waiting for the journey ahead.

Be well, David
Old 02-25-2023, 12:46 PM   #12

New York
David; look at bag awnings for a cheaper option. We had one on our Uhaul. Also there's the "rope and pole" type but we don't like them at all, but others do.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:56 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
For those interested in rally photos, I have attended a bunch of them, 51 as of last count - some links to photo pages here.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:36 PM   #14

New York
Here are a few photos, the previous owner placed stickers on it and took some off before the sale. I took a few off and have left some of the flowers on the drivers side. there is a large sticker on the front and I'm still debating on removing it. I fooled around with the inside keeping it set up as a king bed.

I think I didn't download the sticker pictures. next time

DavidClick image for larger version

Name:	Casita sunset driveway.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	148591

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita covered in driveway.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	148592
Old 02-25-2023, 03:36 PM   #15

New York
oops, sideways and no inside pictures..maybe tomorrow
Old 02-27-2023, 10:01 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
oops, sideways and no inside pictures..maybe tomorrow
The forum software does not read the orientation of photos uploaded directly from mobile devices. If you shoot all your pictures in the default orientation (landscape mode, bottom/home on right) and crop as needed, they'll be right side up.

If you like Hondas, a properly equipped Pilot, Passport, or Ridgeline (5000# rating) makes a suitable tow vehicle for a Casita. Though not absolutely necessary, they benefit from a light duty weight distributing hitch. Anderson is a popular choice (Casita offers it as an option). I saw a Passport pulling a Casita with Colorado plates in town recently. I noticed it was using the Anderson. Sharp-looking rig!

Nothing wrong with a V8 truck either. It won't be working as hard as the smaller V6 crossovers.

Congratulations on your new Casita, and best wishes in your retirement and travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:26 PM   #17

New York
Thank you Jon, I was reading in one of the sections about first making folders in my computer and other info. Sadly I called up my son and will be waiting for him to help me.

Side note, my brother in law lives i think in Phoenix and I circled it on my map and showed my wife the trips i have planned Autumn 2024. Also saw where that Quartzite are is. Not sure if i spelled it correctly.

Thanks for the TV info.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Welcome. We had a Prius and had to find a tow vehicle after ordering a Casita in 2019. We bought a used 2015 Chevy Colorado crew cab, V6, and tow package, 7500 pounds. We average 15 miles to the gallon. We towed all over the country and never had a problem. We love the pickup because of the storage. We have a hardcover.
You do not need an Anderson hitch. When I picked up my Casita, they told me a sway bar was all I needed. It has always worked great.
Have fun.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #19

New York
[QUOTE=jgilliam1955;853914]Welcome. We had a Prius and had to find a tow vehicle after ordering a Casita in 2019. We bought a used 2015 Chevy Colorado crew cab, V6, and tow package, 7500 pounds.

Thanks for mentioning this, I was researching the Colorado and then I came across a ton of negative comments about their seats. So many people complained about it being uncomfortable. Just so weird, never heard about something like that. Sounds like no issue to you, but have you heard about that?

Side note, whenever I see your avatar I'm thinking David Bowie. Am I far off that idea? Anyone else ever mention that to you? Look alike?

Pretty cool if it is.

Thanks, be well. David
Old 03-01-2023, 08:44 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
[QUOTE=David NY;853934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Welcome. We had a Prius and had to find a tow vehicle after ordering a Casita in 2019. We bought a used 2015 Chevy Colorado crew cab, V6, and tow package, 7500 pounds.

Thanks for mentioning this, I was researching the Colorado and then I came across a ton of negative comments about their seats. So many people complained about it being uncomfortable. Just so weird, never heard about something like that. Sounds like no issue to you, but have you heard about that?

Side note, whenever I see your avatar I'm thinking David Bowie. Am I far off that idea? Anyone else ever mention that to you? Look alike?

Pretty cool if it is.

Thanks, be well. David
My granddaughter drew this at age 12. It is Davis Bowie.
The Chevy Colorado is very comfortable for us. We really like it. We spent the whole summer in it pulling the Casita. We traveled over 20K miles.
One of the things I did I had a front trailer hitch installed. It cost $350.
I park the Casita in the backyard. With the front hitch, I can easily drive it to the back.

Name:	Front Hitch 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	148612

Name:	Front Hitch 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	148613
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote