HELLO from GOSHEN, NY! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #21

Name: Scamp 13'
Trailer: Scamp 13' Searcher
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You're welcome Greg. You really want some advice? Stay OUT of Seattle... truly. It is expensive and traffic has turned into a flippin' nightmare.

I would imagine being close to healthcare facilities will be important. You may want to consider closer to Olympia or even south of that. Or west toward Aberdeen or maybe even east a bit. After you get your trailer, consider too living in an RV park. I know around the PDX area there are several that are less than $400 a month. That includes some utilities, but it's nice to have laundry facilities right in the park, etc. Just food for thought.
Absolutely Donna. I plan on finding an affordable RV park or two to call 'home' & as I used to live on the Olympic Peninsula, not as far out as Aberdeen, I plan to try & find something in the Port Townsend area or something like that.
Certainly not on the Seattle side. I left Seattle in '94 & it was expensive & traffic riddled even then. I would only want to live on the other side, as I call it, anyway. Medical care is unfortunately paramount for me. If it weren't I my choices would be more varied for sure.
Thank you, your knowledge of the NW is also helpful to me! I give you a big hug from 3,000 miles away.
Thanks again,
Greg
Gregory Seligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #22

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
You are quite welcome. I've found that by doing little things like buying tupperware helps a lot - keeps the energy going and makes it more real. You'll get there.
SO TRUE! It's a very nice feeling to be understood, thank you for that.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #23

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Hello Greg,

Best wishes on your journey.

We moved from the West Coast to the East Coast 3 1/2 years ago. My better half dealt with a career ending injury and spent years trying to find relief from the pain. She ended up having nerve blocks and is doing considerably better. However...living on the West coast was damp which intensified the pain. She was miserable for 10 years. The East coast is not damp... -20 degrees doesn't equal pain.

I mention this to give you a heads up on places where damp/rain weather may be prevalent.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #24

New York
Thank you for that input. It is certainly a worthy consideration. I just feel there are so many more things I can do there as opposed to the East Coast. One of the wonderful things about an Eggshell is if the climate doesn't suite bones, I can always find somewhere that does.
Thank You for taking an interest in my journey, it is very much appreciated.
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Greg, while you're plotting and planning and looking to your future.... here's an RV park for your consideration. It's half-way between Olympia and Aberdeen. I've never stayed in it, but go by it once a year. Elma RV Park I'm sure when the time happens, you'll be exactly where you need/want to be.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #26

New York
Thank you Donna. I just made sure to Bookmark it for future reference after I gave it a good look. What fantastic rates for all the amenities! And centrally located if I find something closer to where I wanted to wind up. Thank you very much for that, one never knows but that might very well be a lifesaver for me in the future.
As I was in sales for a living, I drove the Olympic Peninsula for a territory. I lived in Indianola actually if you know where that is. So small towns like Elma, Aberdeen & Shelton were daily drives for me for years. So although I say Seattle, I really mean a ferry ride away as I have always planned on looking for somewhere on the Kitsap Peninsula or out to Port Townsend area. All such beautiful choices. I have missed the NW since I left.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
welcome, I'm originally from a small town very near to Goshen...."Deposit N.Y.' you may have heard of it. My wife & I now reside in So. Calif & just returned from Seattle. Beside the classifieds in this forum you might want to look at "Fiberglass rv's for Sale " I believe i just saw a trailer on Oneota ny (not sure of the make or the layout)...also saw something in Vt....i wouldn't limit myself to a scamp....look at some of the others as well....good luck in your search.....if I can be of any help PM me....a former neighbor
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #28

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Greg, are you near Copake, NY? There is a fiberglass egg camper rally there the first weekend of Oct. You could see and tour a variety of eggs like Burro, Sunliner, Scamp, Parkliner, Casita, etc. Physically visiting and sitting in these campers will help you with your planning. Some may be easier to get in and out of for you, for example, and you cannot determine that from pix alone. I'm going as I have not bought anything yet and want to see them myself.

If you go here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-58837-5.html and then read post #66, you will see a list of the current attendees and their rigs.

Rosemary
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #29

New York
Thank you Alan I truly appreciate the help. I've relegated myself to the Scamp 13' because from what I've read I wouldn't feel comfortable towing anything else with a 4 cylinder Subaru.
I like the Casita very much, they're just too heavy for me.
Thank you, I will keep an open mind however.
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #30

New York
Rosemary,
Thank you for that. I'm only about 2 hrs away & I would love to attend but that is my big sale weekend I've been working towards for the last three months now. I'm selling pretty much everything I own & the proceeds will go into my 'Scamp Fund'. What a shame because I would love to attend. Thank you so much for sending me the info.
Greg
Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #31

Someone just posted a 13ft scamp not to far away from you in Wochester mass craigslist.....check here in the classfieds /referral section
Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #32

Hethis This is really quite close to you...it is on the Fiberglass rv for sale site

1973 Playpac Fiberglass Camper - $1500 - Watertown, NY

No replies

Mon, 09/09/2013 - 14:04

RV4sale-admin

1973 PLAYPAC FIBERGLASS CAMPER, KING SIZE BED, BATHROOM WITH PORTI-POTTY, SINK,FRIDGE, STOVE, I HAVE THE HEATER FOR IT (NOT INSTALLED AT THIS TIME), VERY LIGHTWEIGHT, ONLY WEIGHS AROUND 1000 LBS, THEY ONLY PRODUCED 75 OF THESE AND THERE IS ONLY 10-12 LEFT AROUND,NICE SHAPE.

$1500.00 CALL

Click Here for Seller Contact Info

Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #33

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Someone just posted a 13ft scamp not to far away from you in Wochester mass craigslist.....check here in the classfieds /referral section
Thank you Alan, that is very very nice of you to think of me. As I'm early in the process & yet to have my Moving Sale, etc., I really need to give myself more time to accrue as much money as I possibly can in order to get as close to new, if not a new Scamp 13' withe shower as I am disabled & for me that is more of a necessity than a luxury unfortunately.
I'm in a very difficult situation as you can imagine being on disability & with foreclosure coming down, but I am going to hold tight as long as I can to put myself in the best position possible to then purchase an RV I am happy with from the beginning. If it means living out of my car in order to save money to get to that point, then I am more than willing to do whatever it takes to get to that place. That place being a 'new' comfortable Scamp with AC, Furnace, Toilet/Shower, TV, my Tempur-Pedic bed topper on top of the cushions, a nice quasi permanent park with electric, water, Wi-Fi, Cable, & nice people...with laundry facilities in a pretty & safe area. Sounds like Nirvana right? I'm going for it. I've been leading a horrific life for too long. Quiet peaceful living in a nice spot is what I'm looking for. However, I really need to hold out for the RV I need, especially being disabled. I just physically can't do a fixer-upper. I need something much closer to turn key.
But I do thank you for thinking of me. I'm still in the stage where I really want a new one & like I mentioned. I'm willing to 'live' out of my car with my things in storage until I can afford one. I really need new.
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 09-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #34

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Greg:

The life in a camper in one spot isn't all as money saving as it seems or easy.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #35

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Greg:

The life in a camper in one spot isn't all as money saving as it seems or easy.
I'm sure it's not a utopia at all. I will at least have flexibility to spend time in less expensive areas when need be. And it's gotta be better than constant destitution in a house I can't maintain at all, especially with my medical costs.
I plan on being as flexible as possible.
Thanks for your interest, I really appreciate that.
Greg