HELLO from GOSHEN, NY! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Name: Scamp 13'
Trailer: Scamp 13' Searcher
New York
HELLO from GOSHEN, NY!

My name is Greg & I have finally registered for this phenomenal website which has been providing me with such a wealth of information regarding FG Trailers, & the Scamp 13' in particular as it is what I can tow & hopefully afford. Sorry but I've been like a voyeur taking advantage of everyones' knowledge. Hopefully I can give back one day.
Goshen is in southern NY State & FG trailers are rarely, if ever, seen here. Yesterday I saw my first Scamp ever, a 2013 being towed by my car, a Subaru 4 cylinder Forester 2011! I am only 48 but am disabled for four years already & need a cane to walk...I think I ran to the car & Scamp 13' which was parked in the pharmacy parking lot. Folks, this is the exact Trailer I have been planning to attempt to save for as a permanent home for months now.
I have never believed in a higher power...but to see the Scamp I have literally been dreaming of, & working towards, being towed by my vehicle. I cried. I so hope the gentleman & his wife who were kind enough to proudly show me every inch of their new Scamp after its first journey back from the Badlands of South Dakota didn't notice how incredibly moved I was by this fortunate encounter. I am only more empowered to achieve my goal of obtaining one so I can simply LIVE.
My story in a very brief nutshell. I spent a lifetime as a pharmaceutical salesperson doing well. Old football, rugby, horses, etc injuries caught up with me. Even though I have undergone shoulder, knee, ankle, etc., surgeries. I wound up needing two spinal surgeries, a hip replacement which is already failing & has to be replaced, an entrapped nerve in the same leg/groin had to also be removed in a separate surgery along with a massive tumor. It is the nerve surgery that has left me permanently disabled & in permanent pain, regardless of medicines, patches, etc. As a result of being on disability for years & fighting for my home with tooth & nail...I'm now in foreclosure for almost two years. I am selling every single thing I own except my bed, TV, microwave, & coffeepot. I will then be towing my clothes & camping items, & very few other items in a U-Haul 4X8 or 5X8 to Seattle, WA where I used to live & love it. I will then have to live out of my car while saving for a Scamp while my possessions are in storage. This will be so hard as I am in constant pain as is. I will have to have my Pain Mgmt physician set me up with one in Seattle immediately for me...or I'll wind up in an ER. All this because I'm just trying to avoid being truly homeless. A Scamp 13' with a bathroom & shower would be like the Taj Mahal for me!
I very much apologize for the looong post & promise not to do it again. Ifffff...you are still reading & you know your Scamps fairly well.
I have one question, can I have one built WITHOUT A STOVE? All I need is the refrigerator of course & a microwave, & my coffee pot. I never use a stove so I would so much rather use that space as a pantry or closet or both. Is that possible? Thank you so much in advance for your help, & sorry for the long post.
Greg
Gregory Seligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Greg, you can just remove the stove and put a cutting board over the hole. We removed the stove in our Uhaul, put a wire basket in it's place under the counter, and a cutting board on hinges to cover the hole, and this gives us more counter top space plus additional storage. Where were the Scamp owners from?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Welcome, glad you joined up. So sorry that you have to live with pain; few things are worse. Do you have any family to fall back on? Family can be a rock when you're in rough straits.

To answer your question, most Scamps have a gas 2-burner cooktop, I believe, but no oven (is that what you mean by 'stove'?). It does sound like you would be looking for a used Scamp rather than new (due to your monetary situation), so you probably would have to jump on any one you saw that you could afford and then modify anything you wanted to have changed. In other words, if it had an oven, it could be taken out (or simply used for storage as-is for a while).

If you are able to get a site with electricity, you don't need the burners. But the burners will be really handy if you find yourself unable or unwilling at any time to have electric hookup.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Seligman View Post
I have one question, can I have one built WITHOUT A STOVE? All I need is the refrigerator of course & a microwave, & my coffee pot. I never use a stove so I would so much rather use that space as a pantry or closet or both.
Welcome to FGRV Greg.

Yes you can order one without a stove. I would not recommend it. A stove does not take up that much usable storage space. A stove cover will give you back your counter space.

The stove can be used for cooking meals, heating water and yes even making coffee all without electricity. Needing to be tethered to the grid can be expensive and limits your choices. For us, some nights simply heating up water to make a cup up tea was enough to take the edge off of a cool trailer.

You could substitute a portable stove or butane stove but they too take up storage space. One option not available from scamp are the recessed sink/stove combo units.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Greg, you can just remove the stove and put a cutting board over the hole. We removed the stove in our Uhaul, put a wire basket in it's place under the counter, and a cutting board on hinges to cover the hole, and this gives us more counter top space plus additional storage. Where were the Scamp owners from?
They were from Mass. Thank you for your idea regarding your U-Haul. I appreciate any advice I can get,
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Welcome, glad you joined up. So sorry that you have to live with pain; few things are worse. Do you have any family to fall back on? Family can be a rock when you're in rough straits.

To answer your question, most Scamps have a gas 2-burner cooktop, I believe, but no oven (is that what you mean by 'stove'?). It does sound like you would be looking for a used Scamp rather than new (due to your monetary situation), so you probably would have to jump on any one you saw that you could afford and then modify anything you wanted to have changed. In other words, if it had an oven, it could be taken out (or simply used for storage as-is for a while).

If you are able to get a site with electricity, you don't need the burners. But the burners will be really handy if you find yourself unable or unwilling at any time to have electric hookup.
Very true Mike thank you!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Welcome to FGRV Greg.

Yes you can order one without a stove. I would not recommend it. A stove does not take up that much usable storage space. A stove cover will give you back your counter space.

The stove can be used for cooking meals, heating water and yes even making coffee all without electricity. Needing to be tethered to the grid can be expensive and limits your choices. For us, some nights simply heating up water to make a cup up tea was enough to take the edge off of a cool trailer.

You could substitute a portable stove or butane stove but they too take up storage space. One option not available from scamp are the recessed sink/stove combo units.
You make a lot of sense. My thoughts are trying to save money & space of course. But you are quite correct in terms of just that little bit of heat from a stove for coffee, all just from my propane, rather than being tethered to the grid if my situation doesn't allow for it at the moment.
Thank You for that,
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

And yes you are quite correct, I actually meant 2-Burner cooktop rather than stove. I am actually looking for new or close to it as I am willing to live out of my car as long as it takes to save enough money from my disability to get the one I know I'll be happy with. I also would rather have one with less potential problems & that would most likely be closer to new.
I really appreciate your response as well as other folks here. You people are as nice as I imagined you would be.
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #9

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Hey Greg - when I read your story I thought I was reading my own, except I've only had one hip replacement & it's still good so far! And I drive an Outback, not a Forester. I am in the same situation as you, living on disability income, about a heartbeat from going into foreclosure and in need of a new home - a Scamp 13'. I started looking even though I didn't have the money, and made a conscious effort to stay positive and hopeful, and visualize my new life. You know how hard that can be, and it might sound trite, but it's true. I found my 1981 Scamp in Syracuse and towed it back to Maine - first time I've ever towed anything in my life, and it couldn't have been easier. Like you, I thought I wanted a toilet and shower, but after looking at a Casita with one, I realized how precious the room is, and opted for a porta john, since there are always options for showering. Do you not want the stove because of propane, or because of the space? Like the other folks said, you don't gain any room by taking it out - it's just the cooktop.
Hang in there, Greg - you WILL find your Scamp, and be able to live the dream. Maybe I'll see you in Seattle some year - I lived there for 25 years!
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Finding a used Scamp 13' with a front bath and a shower is going to be a tall order.

First, that limits you to later production when they started offering the front bath & shower. Second, the bath was one option and the shower was a second option as it required not only the shower surround, but a water heater, all different plumbing, a grey holding tank and a pump to get shower water to the tank. Most of the front bath 13' Scamps I have seen (Look for the small window in front) have had only the loo, a real waste of space for most of us.

If you want a 13'er you might start exploring the discussions about alternatives to a permanent Loo and Shower.

And you will soon find that the Taj gets kinds close when you add the wall for the front bath. been there, done that, sold it.

And yep, keep the cook top, you will use it. It may come as a surprise, but overnight camping spots with power are not only hard to find, they can be very expensive.

You can spend upwards of $50 a night for a spot with hooks ups, or spend some nights in (many, but not all) WalMart parking lots for free....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Forgot to mention....

Unless they just happen to have one at the factory that had it's order cancelled, new Scamps are built to order, usually with a minimum of 3 months lead time required.

You might look at prices plus options on the Scamp site and add up the costs of what you want in a new trailer and then start comparing the prices on 3-5 year old units. Not to mention the instant gratification included when you buy used.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Hey Greg - when I read your story I thought I was reading my own, except I've only had one hip replacement & it's still good so far! And I drive an Outback, not a Forester. I am in the same situation as you, living on disability income, about a heartbeat from going into foreclosure and in need of a new home - a Scamp 13'. I started looking even though I didn't have the money, and made a conscious effort to stay positive and hopeful, and visualize my new life. You know how hard that can be, and it might sound trite, but it's true. I found my 1981 Scamp in Syracuse and towed it back to Maine - first time I've ever towed anything in my life, and it couldn't have been easier. Like you, I thought I wanted a toilet and shower, but after looking at a Casita with one, I realized how precious the room is, and opted for a porta john, since there are always options for showering. Do you not want the stove because of propane, or because of the space? Like the other folks said, you don't gain any room by taking it out - it's just the cooktop.
Hang in there, Greg - you WILL find your Scamp, and be able to live the dream. Maybe I'll see you in Seattle some year - I lived there for 25 years!
I was thinking for space but after hearing from all of you folks...you are all quite correct in keeping the stove top as I will not be able to afford full hook ups until I find my 'magical' spots where I can reside affordably with electric, water, & Wi-FI. And don't you love Seattle? I lived there for about five years when I was married & I can't think of a better climate for winter & summer to be in an RV.
Thank You so much for your advice!
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Forgot to mention....

Unless they just happen to have one at the factory that had it's order cancelled, new Scamps are built to order, usually with a minimum of 3 months lead time required.

You might look at prices plus options on the Scamp site and add up the costs of what you want in a new trailer and then start comparing the prices on 3-5 year old units. Not to mention the instant gratification included when you buy used.
Bob,
You are quite right. I am amenable to a newer but used Scamp, for sure. I know they retain their value for a reason. I simply want the standard 13' with the bathroom & shower. I am now sold on keeping the stove top thanks to all of you & your fantastic input. I really do need the ability to shower within the unit. Being disabled, it is very difficult for me to shower as is so the idea of a toilet/shower to me is actually fantastic! I see it as much easier & safer for me than other showers. I'm 5' 10",150 lbs so I'll be able to fit in one without a problem.
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Greg, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I agree with all the comments you've been given. Propane, whether a stove, refrigerator, furnace or hotwater heater gives you options. No one says you ever have to use propane.. but, you'd have it available.

I live in the Pacific NorthWET and although our weather is reasonably mild compared to parts of the US, it can get cold and we know it's WET so I think you're smart to want an all molded towable.

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #15

Maine
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Seligman View Post
I was thinking for space but after hearing from all of you folks...you are all quite correct in keeping the stove top as I will not be able to afford full hook ups until I find my 'magical' spots where I can reside affordably with electric, water, & Wi-FI. And don't you love Seattle? I lived there for about five years when I was married & I can't think of a better climate for winter & summer to be in an RV.
Thank You so much for your advice!
Greg
Yeah I do love Seattle, but it got really expensive to live there. I moved there in the pre-Microsoft days, when it was just Boeing and still had kind of an outback, frontier sort of feel. I still think it's one of the most beautiful places to live IF you can afford it. I plan on heading there as soon as my house sells - any thoughts on places to "park" around there? It's been a good 20 years since I've spent time there. Anyway - best of luck and ride the momentum when you have it!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Mary,
I wanted to say, "Thank You". You really give me hope. It's impossible for me to pay the bills of a full sized home, having the grass cut, etc. I am utterly destitute even w/o paying the mortgage. Too much of my money goes to my medical care, it's a real sin. That's why the Scamp 13' is my only answer. It is all I think of. I am 100% focused on getting the Subaru readied with the correct hitch, a solid transmission cooler, tupper ware to store things. A wheel lock for the Scamp itself when I want to unhitch & take a ferry into Seattle. I used to live on Bainbridge Island & plan on finding somewhere near there again.
Thank you for the positive vibes, I'll take all I can get right now. You obviously understand what I'm going through.
Thanks,
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #17

Maine
Registry
You are quite welcome. I've found that by doing little things like buying tupperware helps a lot - keeps the energy going and makes it more real. You'll get there.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #18

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Greg, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I agree with all the comments you've been given. Propane, whether a stove, refrigerator, furnace or hotwater heater gives you options. No one says you ever have to use propane.. but, you'd have it available.

I live in the Pacific NorthWET and although our weather is reasonably mild compared to parts of the US, it can get cold and we know it's WET so I think you're smart to want an all molded towable.

Best of luck
Hi Donna,
Thank you very much for the hearty welcome! I have read many of your posts over the last year as I have been slowly planning for this. You have an incredible wealth of knowledge regarding all of this so any advice you give me will be heeded ten-fold! Just so you know that.
People call me smart. I don't think I am, I just figure why re-invent the wheel? If someone like you is out there & is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge regarding FG Trailers...I'd be a fool not to take advantage of your gained experience! I honestly look forward to any advice you have for me in the future, & I guarantee I will need it.
Thank you again for the welcome, that was very sweet.
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're welcome Greg. You really want some advice? Stay OUT of Seattle... truly. It is expensive and traffic has turned into a flippin' nightmare.

I would imagine being close to healthcare facilities will be important. You may want to consider closer to Olympia or even south of that. Or west toward Aberdeen or maybe even east a bit. After you get your trailer, consider too living in an RV park. I know around the PDX area there are several that are less than $400 a month. That includes some utilities, but it's nice to have laundry facilities right in the park, etc. Just food for thought.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #20

New York
Quote:
Yeah I do love Seattle, but it got really expensive to live there. I moved there in the pre-Microsoft days, when it was just Boeing and still had kind of an outback, frontier sort of feel. I still think it's one of the most beautiful places to live IF you can afford it. I plan on heading there as soon as my house sells - any thoughts on places to "park" around there? It's been a good 20 years since I've spent time there. Anyway - best of luck and ride the momentum when you have it!
I would look towards 'the other side' of Seattle. Meaning the Ferry ride to Bainbridge Island & from there you have everything West of Seattle; the entire Olympic Peninsula. It is incredibly beautiful, full of camping & RV sites, Parks & Boon-Docking abound. Towns to visit would be Port Townsend, Port Angeles, & out to Forks where they filmed that silly Twilight vampire junk. It is remote & beautiful beyond words. From Port Angeles you can take Ferrys to the San Juan Islands which are remote beyond belief, beautiful & I'm sure cheaper than anything to camp. I camped there many times when I was younger & I cannot think of better places to 'escape' than there & affordably & beautifully. And if you want to stop in a restaurant for an unbelievable meal. It's right there, as well as Bigfoot too!