Hello from Halifax! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
Nova Scotia
Hello from Halifax!

Hi everyone,

I work for Parks Canada in Halifax, on the East Coast of Canada, and we're searching for a trailer that can satisfy a number of needs across our field unit. Ideally, we're looking for a trailer that has enough room to function as a "show space" at large festivals and events, where people can walk through and learn about Nova Scotia's nature and history. The catch is it also has to be useful as an actual camper as well for our Learn-to Camp team. I don't think it needs to be any longer than 13 feet.

Trailers like the Happier Camper HC-1 seem great since everything inside is so modular and can be adapted to different teams' different needs! I'm wondering if anyone here either has any thoughts about the HC-1 or any suggestions for something in a similar price range (~$25 000-$30 000).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Parka the Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think you would want something with two doors, an entrance and an exit.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #3

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
I agree with Glenn on two doors. A Bigfoot is made in BC - 4 season option and a floor plan with two doors.
http://www.bigfootrv.com/m/images/25...06_25B25FB.jpg
Old 10-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Back with more thoughts. I was Parks and Rec for Palm Beach County FL for 6 years so this is something I can sink my teeth into.

Consider a toy hauler - would allow the walk up, walk in, display space when you want it and convert to beds when needed, or be able to haul some of that Rec gear (because you can never have too much stuff). How many people need to sleep in it?

If you can wait - go to the Halifax RV show in January and look at options - walk through, look at construction and have a checklist of needs/ wants.

Parks will pay more upfront for a MFG like a Bigfoot, but likely experience less maintenance issues (and costs) in long run. How will it be winterized and stored - or garaged for year round use?

Have you considered two campers (one for shows, and one for the Learn to Camp program)?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Since you mentioned the HC-1 camper, I believe the back wall opens like a toy hauler so you would have an entry door and an exit (you may need some steps at the back).
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #6

Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
Nova Scotia
Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful responses! That Bigfoot certainly looks nice, but I think it's probably too much for what we're looking for. I also should have mentioned that we've only got a Dodge Caravan for towing, which can't pull anything more than ~3 600 lbs.

I'm intrigued by your toy hauler idea, though! Do you have any suggestions for makes or models? I'm finding really promising images, but when I look at specifics there's a lot of expensive and decked out trailers... Any leads on how to start looking would be greatly appreciated
Parka the Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

Florida
Registry
Hi Aaron,

Yes - the towing limit of the Caravan is an issue. Does Parks not have a truck they could cough up for you? Can you spend some of your budget to upgrade the tow vehicle? Otherwise even a 3,000 lb trailer will be pushing it.

What is your time frame for purchase? What is the most important function (support touring and display at festival or functional for camping program)?

Here is an article on lightweight toyhaulers - https://www.crowsurvival.com/lightest-toy-haulers/

Sandy
Old 10-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
[QUOTE=Parka the Beaver;75817 I also should have mentioned that we've only got a Dodge Caravan for towing, which can't pull anything more than ~3 600 lbs.

I'm intrigued by your toy hauler idea, though! Do you have any suggestions for makes or models?)[/QUOTE]

Some non toy hauler options under 3k weight
https://girlcamper.com/blog/2019/10/...-can-stand-in/
Old 10-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Just to let you know parks Ontario is also looking into the HC1 as it has the ability to be used for camping and commercial uses at the same time. The HC1 does also have 2 doors . Give Bryce a call at our Amherstburg Ont office and he would gladly give you more info.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote