Hello from Maryland - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Currently shopping
Maryland
Hello from Maryland

Hello, I'm new to the forum and just getting started researching fiberglass trailers. Hoping to find one by spring 2022 so I can take it on some trips around the US. I'll be looking at both new and used, figuring out what I want, figuring out financing, possibly how to arrange a purchase in another state, etc. It seems a little daunting at this point. Anyway, glad to be here!
Eric T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome from a former Marylander (Harford County)! After deciding boating was just not their thing, my parents bought an RV and I grew up traveling all over the US and Canada. Great memories!

Best wishes in your trailer hunt! Fiberglass is great, but in the current crazy, overheated market, keeping an open mind is a good thing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Financing, used fiberglass trailers values are not depicted in any source like NADA to get a true value for a loan. So a home equity or signature loans are your best option.

Payments, I used to carry large sums of cash to buy trailers but I no longer do. With the civil forfeiture laws the police like to take your money these days and it is hard and costly to get your money back. It is good to have an account with a national bank when shopping for a trailer. Then you can get to your money nearer the seller.

On the east coast you don't want to buy a trailer in Pa. or NC, on a weekend. These two states require notarized titles. Try to find a notary on a weekend. Each state has different rules for titles and registration and your local DMV will know the other states requirements to process the title. You need to know the selling states requirements before you return home with your new trailer. You don't want to make a return trip just to get the proper paperwork or signatures.

Last rule. Don't buy a trailer without a proper title. If the seller tells you it is easy to get a title, tell them to get the title then you will buy the trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Welcome from Minnesota, and Happy Hunting.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:49 PM   #5

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Welcome from Minnesota, and Happy Hunting.

Thanks! Whatever I get I'll be towing with my 2018 Nissan Frontier SV.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #6

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Financing, used fiberglass trailers values are not depicted in any source like NADA to get a true value for a loan. So a home equity or signature loans are your best option.

Payments, I used to carry large sums of cash to buy trailers but I no longer do. With the civil forfeiture laws the police like to take your money these days and it is hard and costly to get your money back. It is good to have an account with a national bank when shopping for a trailer. Then you can get to your money nearer the seller.

On the east coast you don't want to buy a trailer in Pa. or NC, on a weekend. These two states require notarized titles. Try to find a notary on a weekend. Each state has different rules for titles and registration and your local DMV will know the other states requirements to process the title. You need to know the selling states requirements before you return home with your new trailer. You don't want to make a return trip just to get the proper paperwork or signatures.

Last rule. Don't buy a trailer without a proper title. If the seller tells you it is easy to get a title, tell them to get the title then you will buy the trailer.
Eddie

Thanks for the info! I currently only use a local credit union, so I think my first stop is to talk to them about what I want to do. Probably have to look at an account with a national bank.

Aside from getting the money together, I'm not sure how you go about inspecting a trailer in another state, have it shipped (if it isn't too far I'd be willing to drive out to pick it up), etc. So many things to figure out.

It would be worth it to pay some kind of buying service to help me navigate all of this, if they were reputable. Any idea if something like that exists?
Old 09-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #7

Minnesota
I think that you will enjoy using the Frontier as an egg tug. I had a 2014 that I used to tow a 19' Scamp, then a 19' Airstream Flying Cloud, until one day the wind caught the trailer, the tail wagged the dog, and we all ended upside down. I think that the weight of the trailer may have been to close to the weight of the truck. This is an issue that we won't have with fiberglass.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #8

Maryland
Oh wow, what a sad ending to your Frontier and trailer! I'll definitely keep weight and tongue weight in mind.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

Minnesota
The loss was a summer of camping. We walked away uninsured. And our insurance made us whole, financially. So overall, we were very fortunate.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #10

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T. View Post
Oh wow, what a sad ending to your Frontier and trailer! I'll definitely keep weight and tongue weight in mind.
2018 Chevy Colorado crew cab 4wd LT curb weight 4260 lbs. And 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe (what some call a 5th wheel) gross weight is 3,500 pounds with a pin weight of just 400 pounds. The trailer is approximately 2,000 pounds dry.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Hello from Maryland

Welcome Eric. Having gone through this in Maryland 2 months ago, you will need a NOTARIZED Maryland Bill of Sale (yes, even if you're buying it from another state, and even if that state does not require notarization). You can download the form from the DMV/MVA website.
The 2 year tags cost $52 for trailer weight under 3k lbs.
Sale price is taxed at 6%.
I'm just throwing this in for comparison to your Frontier: my TV is a 2011 Tacoma, 4x4, 6 cylinder w/tow package, 6500 lb tow capacity and 1200 lb cargo. On flat ground it doesn't know it's pulling a 3k lb camper but it really struggles on mountain roads.

Good luck on your search.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #12

Name: Sue
Maryland
Hi from Maryland too.
I just moved to the Eastern Shore and also just bought my 2010 13 ft Scamp with a bathroom. Been jumping through hoops to get a hitch, inspection and then register her.
Best wishes. Oh and what part of the state are you from?

Sue
Sue Julene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:00 PM   #13

Maryland
Sue, are you asking Eric (OP) or me? I'm in College Park, but store my camper in a secured climate controlled facility (BWI Boat & RV Storage in Glen Burnie. If you check them out, ask for Jim "The Dude", tell him I sent you ). Also in Glen Burnie is an RV maintenance & supply place (Jim Donnie's). I've had work done there & the inspection. They might install hitches. They send the inspection report to DMV electronically. Inspection was $125. I believe U-Haul installs hitches. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #14

Maryland
Thank you, Maria. That is very helpful information! I would hate to tow a trailer back from out-of-state just to find out that I didn't get the paperwork that I needed. If the seller has to keep the license plates, do you know what I will need to do to tow it back to Maryland legally? It would be great if there were a comprehensive guide to all of this.

Our tow vehicles sound similar, which confirms my choice to get something small and light.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #15

Maryland
Sue, I'm in Parole. Good luck getting through those hoops!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #16

Maryland
Hello from Maryland

You're welcome Eric. I tried calling DMV for weeks, no answer just the automated info about COVID, use the website, blah, blah, blah. I even stopped at a MD State Police barracks and asked and the trooper told me maybe get temp. tags from the selling state. Right. MD won't even issue transport or temporary tags without it being registered. I bought the camper in GA (July 18, 2020) and drove it back with no tags, taking 2 weeks as I stopped at 3 campgrounds. I had the Bill of Sale and the Title in hand in case I got stopped. No one took notice.
I took a chance again w/o tags on a 2 week trip 2 months ago (mid July 2021). One time we pulled over to change drivers and 2 PA State Police cruisers pulled up behind us. I thought for sure I'd have to explain why no tags but they just wanted to know if we needed any help, asked me about the camper and imagine a big burly guy saying it was really cute.
I registered and tagged it the end of July 2021 before taking it out for a 5 week trip.

Whatever state you buy in, go to their DMV website, check for Bill of Sale and print it out. In my case GA did NOT require notarization. But MD does, so I filled in the MD Bill of Sale, downloaded the completed form, and emailed it to the seller for him to have it notarized and send me back the ORIGINAL notarized form (I signed it after I got it back from the seller in blue ink because MD won't accept a copy), then I had it notarized here.
If you have any more questions that I might be able to answer I'll help if I can. Good luck.