Hello from Minnesota - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently shopping
Minnesota
Hello from Minnesota

Hi all, Mike in Minnesota. i have been absent for several years but am back now as we search for our new EGG (new to us, anyway) in earnest this time. We are most likely in the Casita/Scamp price range and prefer the Casita 17 Independence deluxe. Also interested in the Liberty and then the Spirit or Freedom, all deluxe. The missus wants a toilet and shower on board.
I like the fact that the Casita has the full FG shell under the bottom rather than the Scamp's exposed plywood bottom. Also, Casita appears to have larger holding tanks as standard or as an option. Still researching other differences.
Anyhow, it will be good to reconnect with EGG owners and look forward to our purchase and rallies next season.
Mike (MikeSinMN)
MikeSinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Welcome from another from Minnesota
Old 09-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Re: Hello from Minnesota...

Hey... I hear that they make a camper called Scamp in Minnesota. Maybe check it out?

Ok, I'm just kidding.. In fact I have been to the Scamp factory in Minnesota twice, all the way from North Carolina so I know about them. The first time I made the trip was to buy the camper, and the second time because it is hard to find anyone to work on fiberglass trailers. I can do a lot of the work on my camper... 90% at least. But when I needed the extra 10% it made sense to go all the way back to Backus.

So my point is that if you are within a few hours drive of the the Scamp factory, IMHO that is a very good reason to consider a Scamp over other brands. They can help with maintenance and upgrades or alterations better than most other places. If you lived much further south then I would give the nod to Casita.

And the floor?.. It seems that the resin infused floor lasts just fine as long as leaks above the floor are prevented. Water under the floor is rarely a problem and many properly maintained Scamps with the resin infused floor are decades old.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently shopping
Minnesota
Thanks, Dennis
To gordon2, thanks for the encouragement about the Scamp. I am in the Twin Cities area but have been to the Scamp factory in Pequot Lake. Certainly an advantage for a Minnesotan to own a Scamp.
MikeSinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:29 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
The only problem that I have with Scamp is the near two year wait for delivery. I was lucky that I was able to find a year old Scamp 19 here in Minnesota, so We don,t have to wait that long. I must agree on Scamp's choice of flooring, I had a 1999 19’ for @5 years, and the floor was as solid the day that it was sold as when it left the factory in Backus.