Hello from Mission, BC - "Oldie" new to me!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Hello from Mission, BC - "Oldie" new to me!!

Hello Everyone,

I have been a long time 'lurker', wishing for an affordable 'glass trailer.
I looked at a couple, both looked like they had lots of potential, but, I do not have the resources to make either into the 'silk purse' that they could be.

Then, I found an older Trillium. Decent, and usable, condition. Acceptable interior, needs some cleaning and 'tuning up'. Needs an exterior paint job.

Basically looks OK, so I am hoping that I have made a decent choice.

I am definitely looking forward to next camping season.

Min
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well congratulations! Before investing in a paint job, you may want to read this entire topic. Seems lots of folks are bringing old gelcoat back to life using RedMax: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

Post pictures when you get a chance, please
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #3

British Columbia
Donna, thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, some unidentified previous owner has opted to apply a somewhat mediocre, (alright it is actually dismal) paint job over the gelcoat.

I don't think that I can remove it to expose the gel. I suspect that I will have to clean/fix/repair/fill/sand/sand some more/curse/sand/then paint/hope for success!!

I feel confident, although the trailer is definitely one of the older models, I think that it will turn out OK.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Welcome from a fellow Lower Mainland older Trillium owner!
Enjoy your new toy!
Cheers!
Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
Welcome from a fellow Lower Mainland older Trillium owner!
Enjoy your new toy!
Cheers!
Emily
Thanks Emily,

This is definitely one of the originals. The front window is one of the 'molded' kind and, it looks like, there was never an awning/protector over it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
Thanks Emily,

This is definitely one of the originals. The front window is one of the 'molded' kind and, it looks like, there was never an awning/protector over it.
Cool!
Post up some pictures, we would all love to see.
My Trillium is a 1975 1300....Lotsa pictures in my profile.
Take care, Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
*Congrats* on finding a new to you trailer. Hope you have a lot of great trips with it!

As your in Mission you may wish to mark your calander for the Nor-West Glass Egg fiberglass trailer meet which is taking place at the Sons of Norway campground a 5 min drive from Mission on June 21-24 2012. We have a fairly good selection of Trillium's that attend for you to look over for ideas and advise.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Gord,

I noticed your profile said boler but you posted trillium. We're neighbours and I was wonder if you picked up the 17' boler that was posted locally. If not what was the decider on going trillium?

Cheers,
mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #9

British Columbia
Thank you Carol, I will definitely keep that one in mind. It would be just up the street, a quick and easy camping trip.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

British Columbia
WildBirder,

Yes, the profile does say "boler". When I joined the board, I was looking for a Boler. Ideally one of the 13' ones. This Trillium is one of the 13'-14' ones. My concern is that I will have to add a heater/furnace since this trailer is old enough that there was not one originally installed.

I have sent you a PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
Cool!
Post up some pictures, we would all love to see.
My Trillium is a 1975 1300....Lotsa pictures in my profile.
Take care, Emily
I just went to the Insurance and the registration shows this one as a 1971.
Unfortunately, there are none of the original tags on the doors, or interior.

I am using the "so-called" VIN on the registration as the trailer name, for now. #136, Obviously, I have absolutely no imagination. I would gues that this would be a 1300. It is extremely basic inside.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #12

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hey Gord, I've been looking at a lot of trailers and have been considering all of poor paint jobs out there. You can actually strip down to the Gel Coat. Here is a link to some DYI product reviews. Also being in Vancouver there are probably some boating places that would do it for about the same price as a paint job.

Practical Sailor

Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #13

British Columbia
W'Birder, Thanks for the link.

I had a couple of minutes this afternoon, before it rained, to try just some ordinary paint stripper. I tried a spot on the roof. Seemed to work OK, probably would work better if I was patient enough to let it "sit" as long as the instructions say.

I had done some 'googling' last evening, and, found a post that mentioned paint stripper or brake fluid. Really tempted to try the BF, because I have a couple of partial bottles kicking around.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #14

British Columbia
Man, I did not really how much time had gone by and how freakin' quickly!!

I got quite discouraged with this project when I took a closer look at it and unfortunately put it out of my mind. Unfortunately it still took up space in my backyard.

I did post it for sale, but, my conscience just would not let me sell this to someone else.
The damage to the one area of the roof alone, which I entirely overlooked in my haste to purchase, would have made me feel like I took advantage of the buyer.

This is, IMHO, definitely one of the older models. Both front and rear windows are fixed, molded plexiglass and both are cracked and leaking.

The original door hinges are lost in the antiquities of time. Needless to say, the door doesn't work properly either.

The roof has a significant amount of damage, in the area over the rear dinette. The ensolite has released from that area. The roof has substantial sags in both the front and rear areas.

On a brighter note, I did get the frame back this weekend, so at least I am making some progress.

https://trill136.wordpress.com/