Hello from NC! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #1

Name: Adriene
NC
Hello from NC!

I have dreamed of owning a small, light weight camper for most of my life. My name is Adriene and I'm hoping to make my dream come true some day soon. I love to travel and enjoy all sorts of outdoor activities like hiking, fishing and especially kayaking. I've joined this forum so I can learn as much as possible about fiberglass RVs, towing a camper, and everything else. Please feel free to say hi!
Hadriene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Adrienne! You’re in the right place for small molded fiberglass travel trailers.

As to the lightweight part, there’s a lot of misinformation out there. A satisfactory towing set-up requires a good match between the trailer and the tow vehicle. The thread “Trailer Weights in the Real World” in the General Chat section has actual loaded-for-camping data on many makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet.

If you already own a vehicle you’d like to use for towing, start by reading everything your owner’s manual says about towing. That’s the official word from the manufacturer. If you’re researching tow vehicles, you can find the manuals online. Don’t rely on the internet or even dealers. Again, misinformation is rife.

Beyond that, learn all you can about towing terminology, driving and backing a trailer, preventing sway, and how to operate and maintain a trailer. If you’re planning to buy used, learn about specific issues to watch for in different brands. For example, with Scamp, beware of rotted floors and poor door fit (caused by lack of maintenance).

We love our small, simple 13’ Scamp!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #3

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Hi
Welcome to the forum! I live in Asheboro and am always looking for folks for a meet up. Would love to meet you once you have your camper. I just sold my Scamp and bought an Escape. Any good excuse to use it!
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Welcome! We own a Casita. There are several to choose from. If you are looking for used, be ready to buy beause they don't last long. Escape, Oliver, Big Foot, Scamp are several brands.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

NC
Thanks for the warm welcome! Right now, I do not have a tow vehicle nor a camper. I am starting completely from scratch. Before I purchase anything, I want to gather as much intel as possible! I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time on here as you can imagine...
Old 09-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Test drive any vehicle you are considering to use for towing. It does you no good if you aren't comfortable driving it. I can drive a Class C Motor home or my buddy's F-150, but I don't enjoy it and can't see doing it for hours on end unless I have to.
Once you find a tow vehicle that you feel comfortable with, then you can get a trailer that fits with the Tow Vehicle's capabilities.

Oh, also consider all the toys you will want to bring like your Kayak.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

Name: Danny
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Hi Weaverly,

My name is Danny, and my wife and I live in Greensboro, which is just up the road from you. When it is safe to do so, I would love to see your Escape. Danny
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #8

NC
Hey Alex! That is great advice. Let’s see.... I drive a Ford F-150 Extended Cab at work. I am only 5’2” and I cannot seem to arrange the seat/mirrors/steering wheel to make myself completely comfortable... so the F-150 is a no go. Any idea how the F-150 compares to a Toyota Tacoma? I’ve driven a Ford Escape but it felt underpowered. I am considering test driving a Honda Pilot 4x4 and Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk next...
Old 09-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
We pulled our Casita with both a Tacoma and a Pilot. Both were fine tow vehicles but the Pilot was much more comfortable for long trips.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrieneH View Post
Hey Alex! That is great advice. Let’s see.... I drive a Ford F-150 Extended Cab at work. I am only 5’2” and I cannot seem to arrange the seat/mirrors/steering wheel to make myself completely comfortable... so the F-150 is a no go. Any idea how the F-150 compares to a Toyota Tacoma? I’ve driven a Ford Escape but it felt underpowered. I am considering test driving a Honda Pilot 4x4 and Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk next...
Latest generation Ford Ranger perhaps?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #11

New Hampshire
I haven't driven the Tacoma or Pilot. I have seen from others here that the Pilot is a popular Tow vehicle. Gordon beat me to the Ford Ranger. The real question is will you be taking your Kayak with you? If yes, you should probably consider a Pickup since trying to get the Kayak on/off an SUV might be a stretch for you. You could put the Kayak in the bed (if it fits) or get a rack for the pickup and put it on there. It would be easier to take down/put up since you could stand on the tailgate while doing so.

I am no expert, but that would be a consideration if I were looking.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For the comfort of the Pilot and the gear-hauling convenience of a truck there’s an obvious choice. Make sure to test drive a Ridgeline while you’re at the Honda dealer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:12 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot
California
May as well check out the Colorado while you are looking at midsized trucks. I love mine.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #14

NC
Great info but I don't much care for pickup trucks. I prefer the SUVs...
Old 09-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #15

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
If you look at the Honda Pilot, take a look at the Passport too. It's the same engine as the Pilot but it's only 2 row seats so there is a bigger cargo area in the back. I have one and really like it. I'm not towing anything yet but plan on getting a camper soon.
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:18 AM   #16

New Hampshire
Another possibility, if you aren't going down unimproved roads, would be a Ford Transit van. You could put your kayak, bikes and a whole lot of cargo in there.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
The F150 compares to the Tundra on capability. The Tacoma doesn't. That being said, depending on the FG trailer, the Tacoma can be a fine choice.

If you don't want a truck, then there are a myriad of choices in the mid-sized SUV segment.

On the F150, it fits my 5-3 wife quite well.

Currently looking at the mid-sized SUVs myself to replace my wife's 10 year old car. I will keep the F150. But a mid-sized SUV will give us a choice on trips: take the truck or the SUV.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #18

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Check out the Snoozy2 factory in St Matthews, SC. That's a fantastic FGRV and a very comfortable dedicated bed.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
suv plus kayaks plus boler 17 camper

Here is our current setup (June trip):
Attached Thumbnails
boler17.jpg  
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #20

Name: Ty
Trailer: 2002 Casita 16 Spirit Standard
Nc
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadriene View Post
We tow with a 2016 Toyota Highlander. The towing package is standard equipment on them. It's towing capacity is 5k, which pulls our Casita nicely.
OhCanada67 is offline   Reply With Quote