Hello from new member, long-time ECO owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Name: C
Trailer: Royal/ECO
Arizona
Hello from new member, long-time ECO owner

I just discovered this awesome resource today and already have learned something about the 13' fiberglass trailer we've owned for 20+ years. It's titled as a 1974 Royal but thanks to this website I've learned it is an ECO. Dead giveaway was probably the ECO logo riveted below the rear window but we never gave much thought as to what brand the trailer is.

We stepped up to the ECO from a tent trailer when we got tired of hand-cranking up the rig when we pulled into campgrounds invariably after midnight. We used to show dogs, and most dog show sites have on-site camping spaces, and the sound of the tent trailer cranking up was loud enough to wake the dead. Also, it sure was nice to be able to pull in late at night and go straight to bed without getting a good arm workout. One time our assigned space was among a forest of large RVs and trailers. Whenever we were at the trailer, a steady crowd of curious folks would stop by and want to take a peek inside our little home-away-from-home. It was a lot of fun, but not very restful!

The ECO has been "dry-docked" for WAY too many years due to changing work schedules which prevent us from camping these days, and is desperate need of an overhaul. We've been talking about getting a larger trailer with a bathroom (the ECO has front bunks), but in the backs of our minds the idea of installing a bathroom in our current trailer pops up occasionally. After finding this forum, we're thinking of either modifying our ECO to suit our needs, or finding a 16' fiberglass trailer. Either way, I'm looking forward to perusing the forum!
MariaAZ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome to the club!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #3

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hope you guys can get on the road again soon. (Bet you're glad you kept the trailer!)
Old 04-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hi, we're glad you joined up! Trading to a trailer with bathroom is way easier, of course, than modding an existing unit. But if you're handy, thrifty, and up for a big challenge, you might like the mod route. Part of the equation will be what your tow vehicle can handle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
to the Forum

Bathrooms are over rated, but if you must have one (yes my wife insisted)
Just place a porta-potty in your Eco you will have a 6' x 10' bathroom, larger than any of those huge motorhomes ... heck, larger than most home bathrooms.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
lets see some pictures!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Arizona
Thank you for the welcome! I AM glad we kept it; it's been neglected but still beloved because of all the fond memories. Hubby is actually the one who wants a bathroom/shower combo Years ago when we first bought the trailer it was more about buying something lightweight that our vehicle (a mini pickup then) could tow, but we're at that stage now where comfort is a "wee" bit more important Handy isn't much of a problem; when we put our minds to it we can do pretty much everything (after a bunch of fussing and arguing of course!) Our current vehicle is a full-size pickup with a factory-installed tow package so weight isn't really an issue. It's funny... I used to chuckle about my parents who talked about the higher importance of comfort as they got older, but I find myself doing the same thing now I'm at the age they were when I laughed at them. It would probably make more sense to "trade up" but I'm a sentimental slob

Photos... well, I'll have to clean it up first. It's currently parked in "the back 40."
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Most campgrounds have facilities close enough. A yellow water bottle for the "wee" hours of the night or porta-pottie inside will suit most. If you need the room, you can get an external tent for those rare occasions when you will need something more.
Cabela's Privy Shelter : Cabela's

I suggest you camp first a few times and mod later. That way you can determine what your needs actually are.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #9

Arizona
One of the reasons we quit traveling with it was the lack of a bathroom & shower. Hubby is adamant that he wants something with a bathroom. I've been arguing that since we already own this little trailer it would be cheaper to add a bathroom than to buy a whole new (to us) trailer However he is eyeing one of the fiberglass 5th wheels.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you can do without a shower a lot of people use a porta potti stowed under the front couch. Some take out the couch and make a dinette for two building one of the bench seats so the potti can be accessed in place by flipping up the top of the bench seat.

So I guess it depends on how much bathroom qualifies as a bathroom to your DH. Nice thing about it is if you spruce it up, add something for a potti and use it a few times you will know if it is enough or not, and if not you will have your camper in ready to go sale condition.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I like this idea for a shower in a trailer that has no bathroom.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-39176.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco