Hello from new Scamp 13' owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Wisconsin
Hello from new Scamp 13' owners

Hello everyone! We are also newbies to the RV world. We hope that this site can help us to learn about our Scamp and RV'ing in general as well as meet new people (or old people!)

We just picked up our 2013 Scamp 13' in Indiana last weekend. We drove down form Wisconsin early Sunday morning, and dove it back to Starved Rock State Park in Illinois for our first overnight in it. Things went very well except we have a water leak which we will try to get fixed this weekend. Our Scamp is Layout 2 which has the bathroom.

The Scamp is pretty much like new. It was only used for 3 trips, looks brand new. I have everything working except I need to clean out the furnace as it does not alway light and we need to get the AC fixed which we knew about.

What is your #1 tip to us regarding RV'ing in an egg?
Schwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
#1 tip- Use your egg and have fun! All problems are fixable. Welcome to the club.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I agree with the tip above.

One additional tip I'd suggest is to make sure you start out with new tires. Trailer tires aren't as expensive as vehicle tires yet can cause a lot of fiberglass damage in the wheel well if they blow during travel. I only mention this because my Scamp already had this damage when I purchased mine.

Congrats on your purchase!
Old 09-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Massachusetts
Here's a tire recommendation if your interested.

Carlisle 6H04511 which becomes ST175/80R13, the best thing about these tires is that they have a max. 81mph rating, not the std. 65mph rating that you will find on most trailer tires. I had them put on my 2018 Scamp, even though I only had 7k miles on the orig tires at the time.

I worry a lot less now if I have to run at 60-65+ to keep up with traffic instead of becoming a road hazard at times.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Many brands are rated 81 mph now.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #6

Massachusetts
While that's true Glenn, a lot of us newbie's may not be aware of that. I'll admit that I was in that group until I started to do some research on seeing postings with tire failures. That's when I started looking for a better rating on tires and found the Carlisle's.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Wisconsin
Tires

Thank you for mentioning the tires. I never thought about a speed rating. We drove 5 hours back, most of it over 75mph. What are the original tires rated? I will look into replacements.

One other question, Should I disconnect the battery when the Samp is resting between trips? Right now we have some maintenance we are needing to do so I have it plugged into a 15 amp circuit. Should I keep the battery hooked up or disconnect it?
Schwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #8

Massachusetts
Most likely original tires were rated 65mph max.

As for the battery, I have been informed on the forum; If your on a trip and making a pit stop for 1/ 2 hour or so and your running your refrig. on 12v. like I do. It should not be a problem to leave everything connected. If your pit stop is going to be longer say 2 hrs. + disconnect your 7 pin plug. You may wind up with a dead car battery.

At home I remove the battery and put it on trickle charge if I am going on a trip soon to keep the battery charge, otherwise I leave it disconnected and in the garage.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can leave it disconnected in place. No need to move it. Just make sure it is charged and is adequately watered.

A fully charged battery doesn't freeze until about 67 degrees below 0.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
If the Scamp has the original tires, they probably should be replaced because of age, not because of speed rating. Depending how the Scamp spent it years, the tire on the sunny side may be quite bad. Related to subject of tires, it may also behoove you to research the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). Their prices are somewhere under $200 for two wheels.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:49 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
Good advice on the battery. My first time out with our 13 ft. Scamp I stopped for the night and woke up the next morning to find my trailer battery and car battery both dead! Now if I run the fridge on 12V I unplug from the tow vehicle, or better yet I just run it on propane.
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #12

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Keep you upkeep up. Doesn't take much just consistency. Keep your tires in mind. If your parking it for awhile don't forget to put the axel on tire stands. Doesn't take too much to make the tires go bad. Always check the torque on the wheel lugs every 250 miles as they can work loose. Have lots of fun, make lots of memories and have great fun in your egg.
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #13

Name: Lena
Trailer: SCAMP
Batesville
Smile Congrats Fellow New Scamper

Congrats on getting your 13' Scamp! We are also newbie RV'ers. Drove 9 1/2 hours from Arkansas to Chicago on Tuesday to pick up our barely used 2018 13' Scamp (with bathroom) & brought her home Wednesday. Thanks for posting, as this info is quite relevant on our end too
FIREWIFEOWENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp