Hello from NorCal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Hello from NorCal

My name is Mark I recently bought a fiberglass camper trailer but other then a tag with numbers I have no idea who built it or when. If its ok I would like to take a few pictures and post them with any numbers and such to see if anyone can help me to ID the camper for me? I have a bill of sale from the seller and he owned it for 12 + years and used it for hunting/fishing. Thank you all, Mark
AstroMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Mark!

Yes, we love the challenge of identifying an unknown make. Try to include the exterior from angles that show all four sides. Interior shots are nice too, but the details of the molding of the shell distinguish the various makes.

Enjoy your new treasure!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #3

California
I posted pictures and here is some other info:

10 feet long x 75" tall x 70" wide
there is a section about the kitchen /entrance that can rise up approximately 15 inches and has canvas with screen. The refrigerator has a ice tray area with a tiny ice tray in it. Sleeps two, two burner stove top, and a small gas furnace. No AC. Again Thank you, Mark
Old 01-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

California
sorry for so many posts but I found the numbers

I found my notebook I started for the trailer. The numbers are S0515
then further down it says DA 296883
the same tag says State of California but the rest is very hard to read. Thank you and feel free to ask me anything about the trailer. I plan of a few changes and modifications to the original design. I am a disabled veteran and my wife and I are hoping to tow this trailer behind my modified Astro van across country to the New England area I am from Maine originally and we have relatives in both Maine and New Hampshire.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
I'm not seeing your pictures, but based on your description it sounds like it could be a Trailswest Campster.

When posting photos, make sure you're using the paper clip icon. Also make sure the upload is complete before you hit send. It can take a while for large-format pictures.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm not seeing your pictures, but based on your description it sounds like it could be a Trailswest Campster.

When posting photos, make sure you're using the paper clip icon. Also make sure the upload is complete before you hit send. It can take a while for large-format pictures.
I posted them in the gallery
Old 01-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #7

California
canvas/screening for raised roof area?

Anyone know where I can get the canvas with screen materials for the section of the roof that raises up? Also need the wheel bolt pattern to replace the wheels and get a spare wheel and tire. Is it possible to install an AC unit on the roof? If I have to buy materials and make a new top where do i get the materials. Do most camp sites have toilets/showers? Thanks in advance.Mark
Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Hello from NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMark View Post
I posted them in the gallery
Aah... gallery is not available on the FGRV mobile app. I’ll look forward to checking them out later.

Most any upholstery shop could make the boot (as the canvas is called), or you could even attempt it yourself if you can get access to a HD sewing machine. Try to salvage as much of the old as possible to use as a template. Order Sunbrella or similar outdoor fabric online or look for a local fabric outlet store.

EDIT: Got a look, and it does appear to be a Trailswest Campster. You can use the "Manufacturers" tab at the top and the “Site Search/Google” option in the search menu to locate more information about them and the company that made them. If you got this for $600 as the photo suggests, you got a steal!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, if you want people to see your photos, along with the text, post them in your message. Many, like me, aren't going to go looking for them.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

California
pictures

here are my pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181009_155935.jpg   IMG_20181009_160003.jpg  

IMG_20181009_160021.jpg   IMG_20181009_160100.jpg  

IMG_20181014_164016.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
here are my pictures:
Just to confirm, it sure looks like my Trailswest Campster. That tag next to the door knob should have some useful info. Thats where my serial number is located.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Anyone know where I can get the canvas with screen materials for the section of the roof that raises up? Also need the wheel bolt pattern to replace the wheels and get a spare wheel and tire. Is it possible to install an AC unit on the roof? If I have to buy materials and make a new top where do i get the materials. Do most camp sites have toilets/showers? Thanks in advance.Mark
Any upholstery shop or boat top shop should be able to help with a new boot. Take off your old one carefully so you can use it as a template
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I don't think the roof or the electrical system will support A/C. We just have a fan, but we are in Washington. As much as we traveled with our Casita, we almost never needed air. You will find with the Campster that you will spend most of your time outside.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #14

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Appears to be in about the same shape as a Compct II I bought for $800. I gutted it, took it off the frame, painted the frame and exterior, and then sold it. My wife ran out of patience and bought us a new Scamp 16. Good luck.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Welcome to Fiberglass trailerdome Mark! I like your trailer and looks like you got a good deal. I too bought an old fiberglass trailer (16 ft Casita)as a project a year ago Thanksgiving. I am still fixing her up but my wife and I had a great time using the trailer on five trips over the summer and fall.

As to your question about whether all campgrounds have bathrooms and showers, I think you will find that many paid type places ( state parks or private) have both but that more primitive areas such as US Forest Service or BLM will only have pit privies. That is not hard cast as there are several outlier California State Park campgrounds here in my area on the Mendocino Coast that only have pit privies. Those would be the the self service, "iron ranger" type places. Once you get out of state, services are all over the map but I think you may find that many states take the quality of their parks much more seriously than does California.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #16

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
"Once you get out of state, services are all over the map but I think you may find that many states take the quality of their parks much more seriously than does California."
Oregon in particular. We passed an initiative some time back directing 15% of lottery proceeds to the state park system - half directly, half in state park grants to communities that would likely otherwise not have parks and playgrounds.
From what I have seen, our parks are second to none.

Have fun with your restoration!
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #17

California
Thank you

Thanks for the great replies.Mark
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Spongelander: I second your proposal that your Oregon parks are second to none. They're so good that staying in Washington State Parks feels like a comedown. Even the nicest WA state parks have more issues than the Oregon ones...and so far we've stayed at about twenty in Oregon.

Even if the only issue is having to use "tokens" to take a shower in WA...I so appreciate Oregon's free, hot showers that come with our camping fee.
One less thing to have to fuss with.

Most problems can be overcome, but Oregon meets us halfway and then some. We hope to visit all the Oregon State Parks (and Recreation Areas) eventually. Maybe one day we'll find a favorite to return to again and again.

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #19

California
traveling with a camper

Our plan is to try camper with the Campster here in California first then hopefully drive from Ca to Texas then to New Hampshire. I drove a large moving truck when we moved to Ca from NH I drove mostly highway 80 and it was a great trip for me but it was also kinda boring. So we wish to go down through Ca through the LA areas then across to Texas then on to the east coastal areas the up to NH. Camping most of the way. Anyone done this?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I don't think the roof or the electrical system will support A/C. We just have a fan, but we are in Washington. As much as we traveled with our Casita, we almost never needed air. You will find with the Campster that you will spend most of your time outside.

The real challenge would be if the roof will take the weight of the unit. My scamp has a normal window unit mounted in a closet and that works. Had to replace it. Just used a normal small window unit. Just had to find a way to install a drain.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote