Hello from Saskatchewan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Name: Heidi
Trailer: '73 Trillium 1300
Saskatchewan
Hello from Saskatchewan

Well I have been posting and reading for a little bit here and decided to finally introduce myself and our Travel Bug, a 1973 Trillium that was originally green and spray painted white sometime, which has been chipping off here and there. lol

How we obtained our Trill; Three years ago a family friend knew he was dieing so asked my father-in-law if any of his sons would like his camper and we ended up being the lucky ones. A very bittersweet story really... We are forever grateful to this man.

As soon as we got it, without knowing a thing about these old eggs, we took it on a trip to Alaska and the Yukon. Let's just say we did learn on how to turn on the furnace... but still nothing else. And that was it, no other camping due to back injury one summer and a broken leg the next until this year. Our poor Trill sat there only one time each summer when my father-in-law borrowed it.

Now... it is really like we just received this little egg for the first time this year. I finally get to putter away at it and take it out as much as I can. I have finally learned how to operate all the appliances (yes they all work) and clean her up.

So far I have recovered the closet and cupboard doors, sprayed a rock guard on the lower front, painted the frame, made new curtains to use for now, learned those collapsible closet hanger shelves are awesome to use in the closet of the egg, installed that magic door screen, took out carpet and put allure flooring in (halfway done that now),sealed a leak around the vent, gave it a new black insert on belly band, and using the same NON-silicone stuff temporarily sealed around some of the windows til' I can redo them. Since we will not be painting the whole trailer til' next year, I also took a small paint brush and touched up the many missing paint chips all around, and I mean many... I then gave it a bit of a shine using just a couple of coats of that good floor wax which will be fun to remove when I paint. I made a make-shift propane holder from ideas on the forum. The cushions were redone by the previous owner not too long ago and I will just recover with slip covers when I make them. The ensolite is in great, clean shape and I am going to try that hot water trick to two strips on the T-molding, the rest is good. My aunt and I learned to take out the fridge to get to the plumbing as the city water hookup was not really hooked up - just air. Yes, I learned the hard way.

Really, besides the one leak that was from the vent and two small leaks from the windows, minor plumbing, and owner (me) learning how to turn on everything like the water pump - it was a "gee, what is this switch for?" this egg is in great shape. Once the paint job is done next year (by yours truly ), shining up the aluminum on the band and windows, minor fixes, and a bit more figuring out decor inside and really personalizing it for us... we can then just sit back and relax.

I must say a HUGE thank you to this forum as I have used it along every step of the way and I would not have been able to do any of this without all of you, right down to using my aunt's ipad for step by step instructions on taking out the fridge. I even quickly designed a temporarily spare tire cover and painted an old hard suitcase with a pic of our trailer just for fun from reading some of the amazing ideas on here. My husband works lots and really is more of a computer guy than a fixer so it is just me. I am a bit under a crunch time now as I start back to work and full-time university here in Sept. to get as much camping and fixing done as I can.

All I can say is that I have never had such a satisfying project to work on than our little egg. If I wasn't working on it... we were camping in it. We have enjoyed one gathering so far and hope to go to a couple more yet this year (this weekend and Sept) to meet some more fabulous people and to learn more about our camper.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions!

OH! And yes, along the way our Trill came up with it's name our Travel Bug as we love to travel and geocache (and the orange interior fiberglass kinda fit). For those cachers out there, watch for us and log our trackable.

(pics to follow as soon as I can)

Heidi
(hajnfur - Heidi, Austin, Jason and dogs)
hajnfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #2

Saskatchewan
This is the newest pic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	185462_10150971792760064_1673550297_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	49967

This was what it looked like before... That's my son.
(see thumbnail pic at bottom)

A before pic when we started to clean her up.

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	49969

Upholstery and interior fiberglass color (before).

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	49970

New covered cupboards (sorry don't know how to upright it here)

Name:	IMG_0756.jpg
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	49971
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0497.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #3

Saskatchewan
New (almost finished) Allure flooring.
Attachment 49972
Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Here is a pic from the back.

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	49976

Here is from the front.

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	49977

And here is the suitcase (for fun).

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	49978
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Heidi... I think I've seen pictures of your trailer on Facebook!

And while the circumstances of which you acquired your trailer may be a bit unusual... I'm betting the gentleman that "gave" you the trailer is smiling down on you and PLEASED!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Heidi so glad you are finally having time and fun with your trailer!!!!
Love to know how you did the lettering on your tire cover??? cute.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
Yes Donna, you have probably seen around a few times... lol And I am sure that the gentleman is very happy with all we have done too.

Carol, I picked up something called Patio Paint in the craft section at our local dollar store and used stencils. The palm tree was in a set for a buck at our local walmart.

And thank you.... we are really enjoying ourselves with our egg. Now off to Manitoba for the gathering.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Hello Heidi, I think that I commented on your trailer on FB also! I recognize the photo I love your gold interior color!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, your trailer looks great, sounds like you have been busy.
Yes, a bittersweet story about how you got it for sure.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote