Hello from Tallahassee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: Currently Shopping
FL
Hello from Tallahassee

I'm Pete and I'm pretty sure I need a Casita. I want new or newish, 17ft with bath. I thought I wanted a Spirit Deluxe but after seeing (my first Casita) which was the Independence Deluxe I'm not sure. I've traveled extensively on a motorcycle but I'm ready to go in luxury. I've got a 2018 Honda Ridgeline to tow it with.
I will be attending the Green Eggs And Ham gathering in Alabama on March 17 so I can meet fellow forum members and hopefully get some good advice.
I'm excited about my new undertaking. I'm almost 69, single and mostly retired. See you on the road.
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:05 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Pete. You've got the right idea of checking out different eggs at a rally. They all look good on paper but hands on is the way to go .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Rob
Trailer: '80 Trillium 1300
Florida
Registry
Hey Pete, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for a casita. I am in the Big Bend as well currently working on a full restoration of a 1973 Love Bug.
rkbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

welcome pete and good morning from mo.

good luck with your search

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #5

FL
Thanks

Thank you Bob, I look forward to getting a casita getting on the road and meeting fellow Forum members. I'm just beginning to learn how to navigate around this forum.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Pete, there's also a fiberglass rally at Silver River State Park near Ocala, (Florida Egg Rally and S' More) on March 23-26. I know there's another Casita guy in Tallahassee, I think his handle is BajaBob? He has a newer Ridgeline as well.

My son's at FSU and we'll be up there during the weekend of 4/13 if you'd like to check out our SD. We're probably staying at Coe Landing county park on Lake Talquin. DM me if interested.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your search

pete check the classifieds here in my opinion this is the top place for one if you are on a hunt check daily here I see them listed used.

these are on a high want list if you see one make an offer and have stuff ready or someone will steal it away from you.

to help you a little there are other brands out there such as scamp not much difference matter of fact casita and scamp are related!

ask questions here there are some really well versed people on fiberglass campers here!

best of luck to you

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Hi, Pete,

If you think you MIGHT want new, you can get in line now by ordering a Spirit Deluxe from the factory and send them a deposit. Then keep searching for whatever version and age you like. You can get your deposit back from the factory if you cancel before they begin on yours. This can save a lot of time waiting! I did this and canceled when the perfect used Casita came along. Good luck!

Wendy in Gainesville FL
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Pete
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. If you haven't already you should also check the classifieds on casitaforum.com

Walt
Old 03-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #10

FL
Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to the Green Eggs & Ham gathering to get some hands on experience.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #11

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Hello Pete,

I have a friend who will be at GH&H towing a 17' Casita with a Honda Ridgeline. His Name is Kip and he would be glad to share info with you. He's very happy with his setup.

Richard
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #12

FL
Thanks

That's good to know. I'll look for him. I really like my Ridgeline. First new car I have ever owned. I have owned new motorcycles, a man has to have some priorities.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #13

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Pete, If it's anything like the past couple years, I'm guessing there will be somewhere around 40-50 Casitas at the GE&H rally, so you should have plenty to look at. There will also be at least one Escape 17B ("B" = with bath), in Catoma Loop, Site #36, if you want to check out another manufacturer's product in that same general size category. We'll be just around the bend in Site #46 with our Escape 21' . Feel free to stop by if you have some time.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #14

FL
Thanks

Thanks for the invite. While I don't want to get that big I'd love to see your rig. I'll look you up.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #15

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Pete,

Welcome! Look forward to meeting you at GE&H VIII next week. We are in our 3rd season with our ‘05 Casita 17’ FD. LOVE IT!

Take care,

Dean
Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #16

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Hey Pete,

As dblcola posted, we have a 2003 Casita 17SD .

We do tow it with an 09 Ridgeline. It was born with AWD as were all Ridgelines those years. It does a great job of towing the Casita and near perfect as our "GO TO" vehicle for trips.

Our Casita is slightly modified to meet our needs. We bought it as the 3rd owners January 2011. It needed a lot of TLC.

I don't have the skills or patience or imagination to transform it to look like some of the beauties you will see at GE&H. But it suits us to a "T".

Come on by and visit us, site 015.

Should mention that dblcola has had just about every configuration of camper, there is. It looks like he is settling down with the Casita he purchased in the last few months.

kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I have a 2013 Ridgeline that has towed first my Bigfoot and now my Escape, for 10,000 miles/year, Include a cross-continent round trip last Fall. Both trailers are heavier than a 17' Casita and the Ridgeline towed them with ease, including all over the Canadian Rockies. And BTW I use an anti sway bar but no WDH.
You'll have no problems.

Walt
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #18

FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
Hey Pete,

As dblcola posted, we have a 2003 Casita 17SD .

We do tow it with an 09 Ridgeline. It was born with AWD as were all Ridgelines those years. It does a great job of towing the Casita and near perfect as our "GO TO" vehicle for trips.

Our Casita is slightly modified to meet our needs. We bought it as the 3rd owners January 2011. It needed a lot of TLC.

I don't have the skills or patience or imagination to transform it to look like some of the beauties you will see at GE&H. But it suits us to a "T".

Come on by and visit us, site 015.

Should mention that dblcola has had just about every configuration of camper, there is. It looks like he is settling down with the Casita he purchased in the last few months.

kip
Kip, I've got the RTL-E with AWD. Robert in Tallahasse has a 2017 Ridgeline AWD and he says it tows his Casita 17 Independence with no problem. I will look you up at the Gathering.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #19

FL
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I have a 2013 Ridgeline that has towed first my Bigfoot and now my Escape, for 10,000 miles/year, Include a cross-continent round trip last Fall. Both trailers are heavier than a 17' Casita and the Ridgeline towed them with ease, including all over the Canadian Rockies. And BTW I use an anti sway bar but no WDH.
You'll have no problems.

Walt
Walt, I'm confident my Ridgeline will tow a Casita. It's AWD and rated for 5,000 lbs. Hope to see you on the road one day.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The issue with the Casita 17D is tongue weight, which can easily exceed 400 pounds. That limits how much cargo you can carry in the back of the Ridgeline without overloading the independent rear axle. Obviously others have made it work, but it is something to take into consideration as you plan.

If the Ridgeline is anything like my Pilot, Honda is very clear and detailed in the owner's manual about how passengers and cargo affect the tow ratings.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote