hello from the oldest city. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Name: Leah
Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Florida
hello from the oldest city.

Hi everyone, I am Leah. In two days my fiance and I drive down from St. Augustine Fl to Orlando to pick up out New to us 2004 SD17!!! I am so excited. we are in preparation for fulltiming next year after we get married (departure date is two days after the wedding). I have only pulled a trailer once (with the family boat on it for like, ten miles to the marina) and it was about twenty years ago, I'm a bit nervous. I have been lurking on this forum for about six months while researching what type of trailer we wanted, and it has been a tremendous help. well... i guess that's about it for now. I'm pretty much a complete newbie, any advice or helpful words of encouragement is very much appreciated.
leahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
hello from the oldest city.

Welcome, Leah!

Congratulations on your new-to-you trailer!

Just to set the record straight… the oldest continuously occupied community in North America, dating to AD1100, is the Hopi village of Old Oraibi in Arizona. Perhaps your travels will bring you this way!

Best wishes on your new adventure!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Leah
Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I look forward to going out your way tremendously! I'm an art kid and have always been drawn to the work of artists from the southwestern states. I am excited about the multitude of inspiration that comes from adventures into new places. I will make the Hopi village one of our to do's! I am also a lover of history. Thank you.
Ha, Yes! I didn't specify.... St. Augustine boasts to be: The oldest continuously lived in European Settlement in the US.
leahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahm View Post
Hi everyone, I am Leah. In two days my fiance and I drive down from St. Augustine Fl to Orlando to pick up out New to us 2004 SD17!!! I am so excited. we are in preparation for fulltiming next year after we get married (departure date is two days after the wedding). I have only pulled a trailer once (with the family boat on it for like, ten miles to the marina) and it was about twenty years ago, I'm a bit nervous. I have been lurking on this forum for about six months while researching what type of trailer we wanted, and it has been a tremendous help. well... i guess that's about it for now. I'm pretty much a complete newbie, any advice or helpful words of encouragement is very much appreciated.
We were in St. Augustine in February 1984, if memory serves.
The overnight temperature dropped to SEVEN degrees. And, the power went off at the motel. We had our winter clothes, and always carried sleeping bags in winter, so hauled them into the motel room (which had only a light blanket and sheet - and electric heat) Crawled into bed in our clothes and bags.
Next morning, the power was back on, the sun was out, and the whole town was a crystal palace of icicles where folks had left their lawn sprinkler systems running to prevent freeze up.
We visited the old fort, the only people there in our boots and parkas.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It looks like the claim has been changed to this:
"St. Augustine is a city in northeast Florida and the oldest continuously occupied European-established settlement in the continental United States"
Italics added.....

Thank You Jon

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote