Hello from the Redwoods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: None: sold my 2014 Trillium 13'
California
Hello from the Redwoods

Hi all,

I live in the Redwoods on the far northern coast of California. I don't currently have a trailer but have been researching them for several months now. The community here has been so helpful in my search. My thanks!

I compete in dog agility with my 2 older Keeshonden. A few months ago I added a Kees puppy to my pack; he is 5 months old now. I really, really want a small 13-15' trailer so that my fuzzies and I can have our own cozy place to stay at agility trials.

The trailer most suited to my needs is the Parkliner. I have been to see one near me (twice!) and have no doubts about the trailer itself. I've seen others, and they are close but not quite "it". I am having trouble pulling the trigger though because of the cost, the company's customer service issues and ... how much I don't know about RV'ing is a bit daunting.

A used trailer such as a 13' Casita or Scamp is also a possibility, should the right ad at the right price for a nicely maintained unit appear in the for sale sites that I haunt everyday.

My tow vehicle is a Mazda Tribute. It performed beautifully pulling a small UHaul trailer when I moved to the Redwoods last year.
RobinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Robin,

I'm not very religious but always feel religious walking among the Redwoods.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Hi, Robin, I got my trailer originally for agility, too. Out of it right now due to circumstances but will get back to it eventually. My daughter lives in Humboldt County- lovely area.

You should be able to find a used Scamp or Casita in N.Cal but will have to be prepared to jump in the car and go buy it- they tend to go fast.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I really like the look and features of the Parkliner too and hope the company gets it together. I don't know what your time frame and circumstances are but wonder how practical actually buying a Parkliner would be for someone in California. They are after all built all the way across the country. Unless you find a used one and being a relatively new company there just are not that many in the wild. Not like the hundreds (thousands?) of Scamps, Casitas, etc., etc. out there. You will know what meets your needs/budget when you see it. Good luck!

P.S., seeing and being among the Redwoods is on my bucket list.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

California
Thanks for the welcomes. I love living here. I retired last year and moved from the crowded San Francisco Bay Area to the serenity of the ocean and the redwoods. Out my back fence gate, I am in a redwood forest. Can't beat that!

Tim, I know that I would have the cost of delivery on top of the cost of the trailer itself, if I decide to get one from across the country. Definitely a factor in my decision making.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinKees View Post
Hi all,

My tow vehicle is a Mazda Tribute. It performed beautifully pulling a small UHaul trailer when I moved to the Redwoods last year.
(clip)

Welcome to the group.

First things first. I see that there is a wide range of towing capacities for the Mazda Tribute listed. It ranges from 1500 lbs to 3400 lbs depending on year, driveline and options. You need to look in your owners manual for an exact figure for yours, or post the year, driveline and model here so someone with an owners manual can help out.

If it is the 4 cylinder engine, the 1500 lb limit rules out the Parkliner in a NY second, not to mention almost everything else over 13' long. Take a , look in the General Chat forum for a listing of "Real World Trailer Weights". The manufacturers numbers are for bare stripped and dry units and are always well under reality weights.

Next, if you want a bathroom, the 13'ers can get real small inside, especially with your 4 legged trio of friends alone.

Here is about the best link for finding used FGRV's:
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
But ya gotta check it 2-3 times a day to stay ahead of the crowds.

But do be careful, in the past I have seen a number of rigs advertised in that area that had served as unofficial student housing and, as a rule, are trashed.

Part of my family has lived in the Eureka/Fortuna area since the late 1800's and I spent most of my childhod vacation times in the area. Many, many vacations were spent at Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park, which was just saved from closure and remodded about two years ago. If you haven't been out there, it's one of the more secluded parks (Beside Rockefeller that is).

Good luck hunting and be sure to ask lots of questions.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinKees View Post
if I decide to get one from across the country. Definitely a factor in my decision making.
I would love to have a new Escape 19, built just the way I want it. But dang the factory is a long way from Florida. Parkliner is just up the coast from me though....
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Welcome aboard. You are aware of the situation at Parkliner so if you go that route you would be making an informed decision. Another thing to keep in mind is that a used Casita, Scamp or anything else could be resold quickly if it did not work out for you. They do sell quickly which is a disadvantage if you are buying but great if you are selling.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I would love to have a new Escape 19, built just the way I want it. But dang the factory is a long way from Florida. Parkliner is just up the coast from me though....
Find someone who wants the Parkliner, have him pick up the Escape, and meet in the middle of the country to switch!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I see that there is a wide range of towing capacities for the Mazda Tribute listed.
~snip~
Next, if you want a bathroom, the 13'ers can get real small inside, especially with your 4 legged trio of friends alone.
~snip~
Here is about the best link for finding used FGRV's:
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
~snip~
Part of my family has lived in the Eureka/Fortuna area since the late 1800's and I spent most of my childhod vacation times in the area.
Bob,

My Mazda is a V6 with a tow package already installed when I bought it. Towing capacity is stated as 3500 lbs. I am trying to go no more than 2500 dry, and would prefer closer to 2000. The Parkliner is pushing my upper limit once I add some options. A 13 foot trailer should be no problem, and may well be where I end up.

I do indeed want a bathroom to save me from agility site portapotties, and yep, that will be close quarters in a 13'. Still. It will be an improvement from a tent which I have been doing when the weather permits. I could go with a slide out portapot but, ability to take at least a minimal shower after a day of competition is highly desired!

The link you gave me is a fave already and I stalk it frequently!

I vacationed in this area as a child also. I grew up over the mountain in Redding.

Thanks for your good info!
Robin
Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's good news on the tow vehicle. You should be fine with a whole range of choices.

We had a 13' Scamp w/bath for a while and sold it to buy a 13' Lil Bigfoot without a bath because it was soooo small inside for the two of us. The problem is that there is no place to be, without changing from bed to dinette all the time and the space used by the bathroom is unused about 95% of the time.

I just finished removing the bathroom from my Hunter Compact and replaced it with a Dometic SeaLand port-a-potty on slide out rails to get the storage space back that the bathroom used. But again, it's a matter of choice. Here is a link to my photobucket where you can see of several of my projects. Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

BTW: The bathroom option on the 13' Scamp does not include a shower. That's a separate option and, as a result, many 13' Scamps w/bathroom I have seen did not have the hot water system or a shower.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Robin. Good luck with the search.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #13

Name: walmart
Trailer: 2006 casita 17' spirit deluxe
California
Welcome!!
I did just the opposite. I lived in Cutten as a kid and we had a summer home in Dinsmore. In fact, I spent many summer months riding my Honda Mini-Trail around the "Little Golden Gate" subdivision in Bridgeville with my buddy.
Now...I'm over on this side of the mountain!
walmart jonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #14

Name: Craig
Trailer: 2014 Escape 17
Washington
Hi Robin, not sure your time frame but Escape Trailer Industries make a 15' and they will work with you on all sorts of options.
They are a little spendy but well worth it! Check out their web site. Better hurry because they are back ordered already!
I will be going to the redwoods sometime next year. Good luck on whatever you decide!

Sent from my iPad
craigolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Robin, you might also want to consider a 16' Scamp. They're about the same weight as a Parkliner (see the spreadsheet in post #267 here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-43010-20.html), towable by your Tribute, available in two different floor plans with bathrooms, and fairly common on the used market at a variety of price points. They're not as nice as a Parkliner, but they'd be far roomier than any 13' trailer with a full bath! Just a thought...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #16

California
Thanks for the suggestions Craig and Jon.

Not really looking at 16' and longer at this point. That could change. My mind seems to change twice a day if not more, laugh.

I am interested in the 15' Escape, and need to find out if there is one near me I can look at. It does not have a side dinette, however, in the bath floorplan. While not a must have, that would be nice to have. I know it's not possible in the 13' trailers either. I am willing to consider a trailer without it. The Escape is pricier than the Parkliner but delivery should be less since they are closer to me.

The Parkliner has the side dinette, and even has a nice nook next to it (meant to store cushions) where I could put a birdcage. Right now I don't travel with my birds (2 cockatiels) but I like the option of bringing them occasionally.

I am looking hard right now at the 13' Casita Patriot. It does not have a screen door. I guess I could use a baby gate to secure the dogs if I want the door open.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #17

Name: Matt
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
British Columbia
We just pulled our trillium 1300 all the way to Mexico and back. 5000km and the TV was a mazda 5 and the trailer weight was around 1400-1500 loaded (food and clothes for fluctuation).

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
calles caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #18

California
Update: It seems I have been searching forever. I have wandered like a nomad looking into eggs then truck campers (would have to buy a truck!), to class B's or even small class C's and to thoughts of giving up the whole idea. What I want and what I can afford seemed like they would never meet up.

And then, I spotted an ad for a barely used 13 foot 2014 Trillium. The price was doable, plus I realized I could swing by the city where it was on the way home from my January dog agility trial. I did just that this past Monday, loved it and ... finally took the leap!

My TV will have the electrical work it needs done tomorrow. On Jan. 29 I will drive back down to pick up my cute little Trillium.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That is wonderful news! Thanks for returning to let us know... and I'll be the first to say it: pictures, please!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Woohoo! We're happy for you!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote