Hello from Vancouver bc - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hello from Vancouver bc

Hi there, i"m Kelly from Vancouver bc. I just purchased a used 17' 1982 Bigfoot trailer. I love it except for one little problem, on the ceiling, beside the vent there is a slight sag and when I touch it, it feels colder to the touch and thinner, like someone had repaired it. On closer inspection, I realize that it wust have bee a recent patch job because the more I played with it, the recent paint began to crack and now I'm really worried that its bad. I've looked everywhere on line to find information about this but have come up with nothing. I'm hoping someone here can help? How do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Kindly,

Kelly
Kelliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #2

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Kelly! I'm in Vancouver as well. I have a couple of small fibreglass trailers, a Boler and a SurfSide. I'm not a repair expert but I've learned a lot over the last few years. The good news is that fibreglass is totally repairable. If the area needs to be reinforced it can be done by any shop that works on fibreglass, usually a boat shop or a outfit that deals with semi trucks. Is there any leaking around the area you're worried about, or "spongy" to the touch? If not, then it likely hasn't caused any other issues but it's good to get it looked at anyhow. You can also call a RV repair place and see what they think but when I've been getting quotes for work, I've found that the RV places seem to be more expensive than the boat places. North Shore RV Centre seems to get decent reviews though. And I've taken my trailers to Glenn's RV Service in Abbotsford for wiring and other things, although I haven't had them do body work and I'm not sure they do it in-shop. I've also heard things about Vista View RV in Abbotsford. Apparently R Turner Welding in Langley also does fibreglass work, although I think you have to get on a wait list with him. His contact info is rturnerwelding@shaw.ca or 604-534-2313. Good luck!
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Its my understanding that the Bigfoots have a drop ceiling consisting of a wood frame and foam insulation. I expect some Bigfoot owners will join this thread to provide some insight.

Also there is at least one thread where a Bigfoot owner has disassembled the drop ceiling and rebuilt it.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Its my understanding that the Bigfoots have a drop ceiling consisting of a wood frame and foam insulation. I expect some Bigfoot owners will join this thread to provide some insight.

Also there is at least one thread where a Bigfoot owner has disassembled the drop ceiling and rebuilt it.
Did not know about this, great advice. Now know to direct Bigfoot owners to other Bigfoot owners.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Thanks!

Thank you for your help. I will check those places out. I'm excited to take it camping soon!

Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bertha View Post
Hi Kelly! I'm in Vancouver as well. I have a couple of small fibreglass trailers, a Boler and a SurfSide. I'm not a repair expert but I've learned a lot over the last few years. The good news is that fibreglass is totally repairable. If the area needs to be reinforced it can be done by any shop that works on fibreglass, usually a boat shop or a outfit that deals with semi trucks. Is there any leaking around the area you're worried about, or "spongy" to the touch? If not, then it likely hasn't caused any other issues but it's good to get it looked at anyhow. You can also call a RV repair place and see what they think but when I've been getting quotes for work, I've found that the RV places seem to be more expensive than the boat places. North Shore RV Centre seems to get decent reviews though. And I've taken my trailers to Glenn's RV Service in Abbotsford for wiring and other things, although I haven't had them do body work and I'm not sure they do it in-shop. I've also heard things about Vista View RV in Abbotsford. Apparently R Turner Welding in Langley also does fibreglass work, although I think you have to get on a wait list with him. His contact info is rturnerwelding@shaw.ca or 604-534-2313. Good luck!
Kelliu is offline   Reply With Quote