Hello from west Tennessee & in the market - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: In the Market
Tennessee
Hello from west Tennessee & in the market

Looking to join the crowd with a light weight trailer - tow veh F-150 w/tow package, kids and grand kids in California and Idaho but we live in Tennessee, and Do Not like to fly but drive and see the country. I've been looking at the Scamp for over 6 years but not locked into just one manufacturer and have browsed these forums for about 6 months. I've camped several times in a larger travel trailer but my wife hasn't. Most of my longer term camping has been tent camping at NASCAR tracks. I like to drive and I like to camp. My wife said a toilet and shower are absolute necessities ( plus AC, of course). Looking forward to help and advice as she and I explore and try to make a decision of what to get.

Keith in Tennessee
dkbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Keith, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here. IMHO: All the current manufactured brands of all molded fiberglass towables are wonderful. It's more about layout, budget and options that make one more desirable than the other for the individual.

Good luck in your decision.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have an Egg Camper and will have it at the Indiana rally at the state park in Mitchell on May 18, 19, 20, if you'd like to see it. The factory is in Grandville, MI. That's much farther for you than Indiana. We tow with a Chevy 1500 and get up to 17 mpg. Has toilet, shower, AC, and can be had all electric (ours is) if you want it that way.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,, i just got a scamp not long ago so i am way prejudiced...but,, with your tug, and the stuff your wife needs,,, i bet a scamp 19' 5th wheel would be perfect. and would pull like a dream with a f150.
that being said, i am from michigan,, and have seen those egg campers made over in grand rapids. i would not be afraid to recomend one to any one.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #5

Name: Keith
Trailer: In the Market
Tennessee
Casita looks good, too. I like the Scamp, Casita, Egg, etc type of trailer. Donna sent me some link info I had not seen. My F-150 came with a tow package - something like 6,000 lbs rating. It has the small V8 and gets about 20-22 mpg at 70 mph top speed is 85. ( I had to see ) better mileage without ethanol. Disc brakes all four wheels. 60K miles mostly highway. Anyhow, I digress, I suppose I should consider electric brakes (controls not installed on truck) if I go to the mountains. Probably be best anyhow.

Wish Scamp factory was closer. I can drive to Rice, TX in an easy day drive. Really would like to keep the trailer under 3,000 - loaded. That should give some wiggle room in that department for a 13 or 16 foot trailer. Have topper on the truck so good bit of stuff would be back there. Example, I have 2.5k Honda generator that will run a 110v 8k btu window AC.

All comments appreciated. I am looking at photos here on the website, reading posts, paying attention to the voices of experience. We could make the leap anytime between now and the end of the year. And not rushing into it, either.
dkbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome, I agree with prev. post it's budget, floor plan and features that will resolve which is best for you. Your truck makes pretty much all models a possibility.

With your wife having shower and bathroom as a requirement plus the long trips I would think a 13 ft might be a little tight. Bath takes up a chunk and when doing set up and tear down for daily travel having a side dinette so you can leave both a table and bed set up would be nice. Plus a bit more storage space, my DW likes having places to put her things, me I'll know the bin it's in and dig for it.

You might want to watch this forum for sale thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f53/, or Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale website and craigs list to see what is for sale local to your area. Pictures and prices will be of interest if nothing else. Might even find a "keeper" without having to drive to the factory.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
p.s. they pull scamp 19' 5ft wheel with ford rangers,,,so you can just about picture your truck will tug it around like fred astair did with ginger rogers....wait,,,did i just give away my age?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Just so the trailer and TV don't do what Ginger Rogers did.... Everything that Fred did only backwards and wearing high heels.

Yes grandchild there was dancing before dancing with the stars invented it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote