Hello, I am SoonerSailor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Blane
Trailer: Looking around
Oklahoma
Hello, I am SoonerSailor

Hello All.

With my 2007 Honda Odyssey as my tow vehicle am wanting to purchase a travel trailer suitable for the Honda which will be equipped with a weight distribution hitch.

Plan on using the next year to research and ask questions about what rig would best suit my needs and is towable with the Honda. I understand the 3,500 lb tow limit and 350 lb hitch weight the Honda presents. Right now, with less than 61K miles on the Honda and never having a problem with it would like to stick with it as a tow vehicle although I know it will limit my choices.

Right now, Casita, Trailmanor on the fiberglass side interests me and Taylor travel trailers on the traditional side have my interest, but I am open to others as I don't know what I don't know.

Looking forward to using this site for help and information.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group

Just so you don't get blindsided, hereabouts "Fiberglass" means "Molded Fiberglass" or basically seamless construction, as is the Casita you mentioned.

Other, conventional construction, trailers, made with fiberglass sheeting, don't enjoy the lighter weight and superior longevity that molded construction, with far fewer water entry points and generally more robust construction, enjoy.

FWIW: The TrailManor line is known for it's substantial weight and, as always, posted dry weights are just a starting point, and are usually quoted for base model rigs without any options installed.

There is a listing of "Real World Weights" in the General Chat section that will give you an idea of what loaded trailers actually weigh.

Good luck in your search and keep asking questions.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Welcome, Okie! Your van should be able to handle any Casita except the 17' Deluxe (front bath) which tends to be heavier on the tongue than your allowable 350 lb hitch weight. You could also consider any13' or 16' Scamp. Both are reasonably easy to find in used condition, if that's what you are looking for.

Trailmanor isn't molded fiberglass, of course, but they have their fans. However, it may be difficult to keep hitch weight under 350 as Trailmanors tend to be quite heavy.

Taylors will have the most frontal area of the three and thus will net you the worst gas mileage of the three. But they seem to have a good reputation for their construction.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Thank you both for your feedback.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Blane, there is a thread on this list called Trailer Weights in the Real World that might help you determine what trailer brands and sizes to look for to meet our towing restrictions. Note the campground that most of the weigh ins where done at was a full service one so its probable that many of the trailers had little or no water in the tanks when weighed but where fully loaded for camping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Thank you; I will check it out.