Hello, I want info about tow vehicles for scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
Indiana
Hello, I want info about tow vehicles for scamp

I have towed trailers before but am expecting to go from Indiana to Florida and want to get good choices for a used tow vehicle. I'm thinking a pickup with a bed cover might be good and affordable, maybe an F150, or Nissan Frontier. Might move up to 16 foot scamp at some point but no bigger. Don't need fancy but like dependable and comfortable.
1515frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
A lot depends on your personal needs and preferences. I like the idea of a pickup, myself, and the bed cover or a topper makes it even better....in my book.
My wife says our '99 Dodge Ram 1500 is still the most comfortable ride we've ever had. It's got plenty of power and comfort. But, I know many look more for economy, and that's certainly a good choice, too. We had our Dodge before we got out Scamp, and it's long been paid for, so it was a no-brainer to keep using the truck.

Good luck,
Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #3

Name: Kimberly
Trailer: 16' Casita
Virginia
We just brought our 16' Casita from way down in Louisiana to the coast of Virginia with our Jeep (4 1/2" lift on 35" tires). 17 1/2 hours stopped for bathroom breaks, gas and a cat nap. Only problem was when tractor trailers went by we had a wiggle wagon but we are installing a sway bar. Now along with people checking out our Jeep, they are also checking out our camper!
Rubicon Rednecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #4

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Talking tow vehicle

We had a 1996 GMC Jimmy that seemed to be under par so got a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer this winter to pull our 16' Casita SD. (We love the inside bathroom!) It is so much less a truck and better a TV, very comfy and stable on our first trip with it this spring. We haul kayaks on top and bikes inside so the SUV model is our choice rather than a truck with open bed.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Suggest you read up on choices thru the Consumer Reports automobile buyers guide. They have a section for trucks and list recommended best buys for used vehicles...they also list what to avoid. Also look up tow capacities before you buy. I trust the professional ratings from experts before strangers on the Internet.

Depending on your budget you might consider a "Certified" used vehicle from a dealer...they come with a 100,000 mile power train warranty...they do cost more but sometimes that pays big dividends.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have pulled our 16 ft DLX SD Scamp (2850 lb) with 3 different Honda Odyssey's and 2 Toyota Highlanders, a hybrid, and a regular, all with V6 engines.
Just about anything with a V6 should work for you. If you need/want a truck for other purposes, go fo it. We use our TV as a second car all year long.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You might also consider a used van from a Fleet Sales lot. There can be good bargains among them most especially in the month of January. A lot of companies buy new vehicles in December to take advantage of the tax break before Jan. 1st. The fleet sales lots do expect potential buyers to send them out for independent inspection therefore they often will help arrange that by having their own driver deliver it to a mechanic and then return it to the lot after the inspection.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I use a Rav4 6cyl to tow our 16` scamp, does a great job. However sometimes I long for my 2002 ford crew cab f150 which we gave to our son before we bought the scamp because we retired and only wanted one everyday car. I am looking for one now, if i get lucky. Those years are the most comfortable. You can fit a lot of stuff in a truck and not be crowded in. Good luck,, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Indiana
I appreciate the input. I'm currently looking at Kia Santa Fe, F150, Nissan Frontier and Nissan Xterra. Any thoughts on those? Or better alternatives?

I'm thinking outside furniture, heavy duty cooler, and extra clothes in truck with topper might work well. No kids or grandkids expected to travel with us, although one or another adult son or daughter might like to from time to time.

What differences do extended cabs make? And 4 wheel as opposed to rear wheel drive?
1515frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
One very important step not to ever skip. Before unhitching the tow, put your chocks in front and rear of the wheels.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Tow vehicle for Scamp 16 ft

I tow my Scamp 16 ft with my Toyota 4runner 6 cyl. The Scamp has a sway bar. It tows beautifully. The 4runner has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

Name: Dewey
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Arizona
Tow Vehicle

I pull a Scamp 16' with a 2012 V6 RAV-4 and anti-sway bar....... tows great, I always tow with Scamp tanks empty and minimum on board weight. Depending in headwind / tailwind, can average anywhere from 10 to 18 mfg. I have been told a V8 would really improve the fuel economy.

MoScamp
MoScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #13

Name: sharon
Virginia
I use a 2008 GMC Canyon for TV. The Scamp goes hoppin' & boppin' more than I like if its empty, but when loaded I have no issues, not even with passing tractor-trailers.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp Towing

We have a 1991 Scamp 16 with side bath. WE average over 200 days a year on the road. We have been all over North America.

We initially towed with a 2004 Honda CRV, 4 cylinder with manual transmission. We traded the CRV in on a 2014 Honda Odyssey after putting 250,000 miles on the CRV.

We use an anti-sway bar. We keep our trailer tires at 50 psi and elevate the pressure of our tow vehicle tires. The CRV did well, was very reliable and had great mileage. The Odyssey is more powerful and hopefully is as reliable.

We don't carry a lot in our tow vehicle, we carry no coolers, no screen rooms, no extra clothes. Only things we really carry are things in the tow vehicle we need when out exploring.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #15

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
You asked: "What differences do extended cabs make? And 4 wheel as opposed to rear wheel drive?"

When selecting a pickup truck, you have lots of choices to make.

1. 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton.
2. long bed, shorter bed, short bed.
3. uncovered, tonneau cover, camper top.
3. conventional cab, extended cab, crew cab.
4. 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive.
5. gasoline engine, diesel engine.
6. bench seat, bucket seats.
7. and more.

From my experience:
1. No one with a 1 ton wanted to downsize to 1/2 ton.
2. No one with a long bed wanted to downsize to a short bed.
3. No one with a camper top wanted do do without it.
3. No one accustomed to being able to recline the passenger seat wanted a conventional cab.
4. No one was willing to give up their 4 wheel drive.
5. Gasoline engines have improved almost enough, but diesel is still stronger.
6. Bench seats with the movable center arm rest are almost as comfortable as bucket seats, and will allow for 3 across seating.
7. No agreement on brand or color
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp