Hello, I'm Keith (looking to buy a trailer asap) - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: spaceship
Florida
Hello, I'm Keith (looking to buy a trailer asap)

Hi everyone,

My name is Keith. I've been a lurker for a while, but have moved from the research phase with fiberglass campers to the looking-to-buy phase. I'm located in South Florida, and am looking at trailers all over the state. (I looked at a beautiful 16-footer earlier today, but I'm afraid that the layout won't quite work for us.)

My target purchase is a 17' Casita Deluxe, either with the bunk bed option or a layout that supports a bunk bed configuration. I'm fairly handy, so I don't mind an older trailer, and I'm not opposed to something other than a Casita, if the layout can be made to work for us.

I see one or two classified ads with trailers that might be a match for our needs, but if you're considering listing one, please message me. My budget is flexible...trying not to pay for a brand new one, but happy to pay for good condition and upgrades, etc.

Happy to be here.

Cheers,
Keith

ringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Keith!

Casita 17Ds with the side bunk option are very rare. Iíve seen a couple of conversions of the Spirit side dinette into bunks. That would be the more likely way to get what you want.

Best wishes in your search!

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation Best Plan

You don't mention the use profile you have in mind for your new trailer. It should guide your acquisition investigations.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
Keith if you haven't done so, I recommend joining the Facebook groups "Small travel trailer marketplace," "Casita Owners - RV Classifieds," and "Molded Fiberglass RV 4 Sale." The latter has a standalone website.

A Scamp 16' Layout 4, with the side bath, also has a front bunk option if you want to broaden your search.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

Florida
Howdy,

Thanks for the welcome and good suggestions!

Jon, that was my thinking too. I believe I'd even prefer to convert a side dinette more than the factory bunks. I've seen a few nice pics of that...seems like the bunks can be a bit larger that way...and these kids keep growing :-)

Justus, I'm anti-Facebook, but I'll definitely check out the other website you mention, thank you. Also, the 16' Scamp layouts 4 and 6 are definitely on our short list.

While so many of them are rare, especially down here in the ~tropics, I think there are a number of fiberglass trailer models that could be made to work. Some of them would require gutting or a pretty major overhaul, but if that intersection of potential and price is right, I'm openminded.

We had a 28' Rockwood until a year or two ago. It was our first travel trailer, although we've been camping for >40 years. What we learned is that a trailer is a great way to extend our camping season, especially down here where it's often difficult to sleep comfortably without AC. What we also learned is that all of those wood trailers with siding/laminate and the vinyl roof are basically the same. Those manufacturers have standardized gaudy design, and they're all like sponges down here, soaking up the rain and moisture in the air, rotting right before our eyes. That, and we sold the diesel rig. So, fiberglass is in our future.

I've even entertained the idea of remounting two tiny fiberglass trailers onto a modified boat trailer. A two bedroom setup, if you will. Problem there is losing some of the benefits of going small in the first place. I've also researched converting a full fiberglass sailboat to a camper. The 26' MacGregor (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/macgregor-26s), if anyone else is interested, is the perfect boat for this endeavor. The main challenge for me is how the dog gets in and out safely, and without tearing up his joints as he gets older. Also, I'm sure there are park rangers who would frown on the use of a sailboat as a camper, but of course the boat is made for overnights.

Best,
Keith
Old 02-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 2016 ,17ft Spirt deluxe Casita.
Florida
I live in eastern central Florida, and have a 2016 - 17ft SD.
I’m looking to sell due to declining health. Where do you live in Florida?
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

Florida
Hi ironbutt,

Awesome, I just sent you a DM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #8

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Bunk beds

Hi,
For my 17 SD I just converted the side dinette to a single bunk and did something similar in back so we 77 yearolds won't be climbing over at night for bathroom trips. The normal cushions are a bit like rocks to sleep on so I had a mattress company (The Foam Factory) split a full size futon into 2 parts. I find that the 27" width is sufficient and it allows the bathroom door to open 90 degrees to the bed. What is a bit of interference is the refrigerator door will not open 90 degrees. That only becomes a problem getting a large item out of the freezer compartment.
You might look on the fiberglassrv4sale site for the bigfoot 17 which is wider than the Casita. That model also has a side bath which allows for sleeping front and rear along with better weight balance over the axle.
Good luck camping with kids in a Casita!
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita 17SD
Texas
17SD for sale in East Texas

I have a 2011 17SD for sale, but I'm in East Texas so that may be further than you want to travel to pick it up.

colliewagon is offline   Reply With Quote