Hello New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Currently Shopping Bigfoot
Ontario
Hello New Member

Hi. I am researching Bigfoot RV's with the intention of purchasing a 17ft trailer (1850lb) - not too new. Looking forward to learning about Bigfoots on this site.
paul dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello New Member

Welcome, Paul!

Around 2006 all Bigfoot travel trailers became 4 season units and gained a fair bit of weight in the process. I'm guessing you're looking for an older one than that.

1850# sounds like a dry weight. The sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" near the top of the General Chat section has some data on typical fully loaded weights. I think there are several B17s listed. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #3

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Hi Paul and welcome. I have a 2002 17' Bigfoot. It's a nice, quality trailer. I tow it easily with a Ford F150 (5.0 engine, automatic transmission, tow package).

I think the real weight is going to be more like 2850+, not 1850 lbs. Maybe even more depending on how it's outfitted. Don't get caught in the listed weight game. I think ALL trailers are way heavier than expected, so buy with your eyes open and your big truck ready.

Good fiberglass trailers sometimes sell within hours of listing, so when you're ready, get the cash in hand and be ready to go the minute you see something you like.

Let us know what you find out there!
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: Currently Shopping Bigfoot
Ontario
Weight Info

Guys, thanks for the info. Using my son's SUV - 3500# limit but you make a good point "real world weights"? BigFoots certainly sell quickly. I am thinking I should start by getting a truck with a higher towing capacity to give myself some "room".
paul dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would agree. In addition to weight, a Bigfoot is a wide, tall, boxy trailer. It will push a lot of air at speed. That's something weight alone doesn't take into account.

I tow with a 3500# rated SUV, and a 16' Scamp is about as large as I would go. I do tow regularly in hot, windy conditions, mountain grades, and high elevations, so I prefer to leave plenty of reserve capacity. If you only plan to pull it back and forth to a nearby lake, low elevation, moderate terrain,... you'd probably be fine.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote