Hello -- New Member Scamp Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Registry
Michael

How handy are you? (Scamp isn't real big on Quality Control in the manufacturing process), and,
How big are you and that wife Glenn is choosing for you? I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs, my wife is 5'2" and 120 lbs. and we fit our 16ft Scamp perfectly. And anyone who says they travel the country in a 16 ft Scamp with 3 humans and 2 dogs comfortably needs to provide pictures of that feat.
mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
I can think of a lot of funny responses which would communicate the same information and actually be funny.

Not funny, humorous.
Wife is metaphor for trailer.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael View Post
How handy are you? (Scamp isn't real big on Quality Control in the manufacturing process), and,
How big are you and that wife Glenn is choosing for you? I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs, my wife is 5'2" and 120 lbs. and we fit our 16ft Scamp perfectly. And anyone who says they travel the country in a 16 ft Scamp with 3 humans and 2 dogs comfortably needs to provide pictures of that feat.

Have not heard that about their quality control, but it would not surprised me. Not to say something negative about the company, but from the "virtual tours" of their plant that they have provided it is highly apparent that really all scamps are in a way custom built. This does not appear to be a assembly line process. And custom work even standardized custom work is inherently impossible to have full quality control on. But they do put out a great series of products. That is one reason for their waiting list.

I would love to see a picture anyone doing that and how they do it ;-)

I also wished they would come out with a 20 foot unit that was not a 5th wheel. Like just the same setup, but with the extra 4 foot as bed. And then then under that bed area would be an outside accessible storage area. ;-)
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #24

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Cart before the horse? Unless I missed the question among all the other replies did anyone ask what his tow vehicle is capable of towing? That would be a great place to start I would think.
Safe travels,
Bob
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
Cart before the horse? Unless I missed the question among all the other replies did anyone ask what his tow vehicle is capable of towing? That would be a great place to start I would think.
Safe travels,
Bob

IE. how much his wife weighs?
Old 06-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #26

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
IE. how much his wife weighs?

OK given the contents of the thread, that one was funny ;-)
Old 06-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
S-16 DLX Front Dinette

The S-16 DLX with front dinette has a few items you need to be aware of. The front dinette has a storage cabinet on the drivers side which takes up about 8" of sleeping space in the front sleeping area. There is no front bunk in this model unless you special order the bunk but you loose the extra storage cabinet. The side bath models have a shorter bath height since the bath is on the raised floor. The biggest issue for me with this model was the location of the frig. almost over the rear axle. This makes the tongue weight light so you have to watch where you pack your stuff to prevent sway. I would recommend dual LP tanks and a anti-sway bar with this model.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #28

Last Activity: 06-23-2021 11:39 AM
Old 07-01-2021, 04:49 AM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It's what I get for trying to be humorous.
Perhaps you should stop trying to be humorous and concentrate on trying to be another “H” word, HELPFUL.
Or consider if your responses will be considered nasty, hurtful, or sarcastic by others before posting then. It may provide insight just to ask yourself “How would I feel if someone answered my question this way?”
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #30

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
Love the side dinette

We love that ours has the side dinette so that we can keep the bed made-up all the time. This is huge for us as we use a lot of pillows and where would we store them and the blankets at dinnertime otherwise? A couple of others have mentioned it too, and I just wanted to reiterate it as bedding takes up a lot of space. Also, my night-owl husband can be sitting at the table, doing whatever night-owls do, whilst I'm tucked up in bed. We also added a 4" foam topper (cut to fit with a bread knife) so that it is super comfy.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Re bedding storage...

When we take down beds in our Scamp 13, each person puts their own bedding in a separate duffle. Pillow cases go in the duffles and the pillows are decorative daytime throw pillows. Rectangular duffles stack neatly under the rear dinette table against the back wall. Sometimes they get used as footrests during the day.

The whole conversion process of dinette and front bunks takes about five minutes twice a day.

I've also seen two other excellent solutions to bedding storage: (1) a wire bridge shelf over the rear window, supported by the two upper side cabinets, and (2) converting the dinette to a U-shape and storing bedding under the center rear bridge seat. The latter is a great solution for two people where you don't really need the large table for dining.

I agree that for two people it can be handy to have a permanent bed. But with a little creativity, bedding storage is a manageable problem, and it can allow a smaller trailer to work harder.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
[QUOTE=Kardon;817718]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Take a tape measure with you. Camper manufacturers use obscure terms to describe beds like “big bed” or they redefine bed sizes making a twin size a full and so on. It’s not just width either. Beds are shorter than residential beds so taller people can have issues.

That didn't sound right to me so I took a tape measure out to my Scamp 13 (2012) The standard bed mattress is wall to wall at 76". My standard double at home is 74" long. My 6'2" husband sleeps comfortably on both. Karin
Queen residential beds are 80 inches long, as are King sized. In addition, the rounded shape of a Scamp cuts into the overall length in a portion of the bed.

Residential twin and full sized are just 75 inches long.

On width, residential twins are 39 inches wide, full sized are 54 inches wide, queen are 60 inches wide and king are 76 inches wide.

So called standard Scamp bed size is 44 inches wide, which is slightly over a twin, and the "big bed" is 54 inches wide, which is full sized.

Everyone I know either has a King or Queen sized bed in their home.

Quote from Scamp: "The rear dining area converts to a double bed, providing sleeping space for two to three people." This on a 44 inch wide bed. I consider this misleading to most. Experienced RV people are more accustomed to bed sizing in the industry. In no way is this limited to Scamp.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:30 AM   #33

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not quite everyone. Now you know one person that still uses a full-sized bed at home. The exception that proves the rule?
The key to my quote was "everyone I know". I guess that proves I don't know the people you know. I need to get out more!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
My standard double at home is 74" long. My 6'2" husband sleeps comfortably on both. Karin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Everyone I know either has a King or Queen sized bed in their home. .
EDIT- sorry about the accidental double post. I was of course referring to Karin, whom we both “know” through this thread.

Not quite everyone. Now you know one person that still uses a full-sized bed at home. The exception that proves the rule? Donna has a saying that might apply here: “You can’t miss what you never had.”

Certainly many couples manage just fine on Scamp’s narrow bed. But it’s a common enough complaint to be worth mention to a newcomer. Each person will have to make their own judgment on what is ultimately a very personal call.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #35

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
They are all money pits, no matter which brand. But these money pits can be a lot of fun. Get a Scamp and enjoy! I'm on my fifth RV and this one is the first RV trailer. Been looking for a Scamp 19 for a long time now, and finally found one.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #36

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
They are all money pits, no matter which brand. But these money pits can be a lot of fun. Get a Scamp and enjoy! I'm on my fifth RV and this one is the first RV trailer. Been looking for a Scamp 19 for a long time now, and finally found one.

Always wished that scamp sold a 19-20 etc unit that was a normal tow. Basically a 16 footer with the extra as bed. And then some external storage in the rear as part of the addition. But either way they are fun.

Somewhat of a money pit. For me a lot more of a time pit. Mostly I can do my own work and that makes them a lot cheaper. And generally I make mine back. I use mine as an office lodging for work out of my area. And it does make for a competitive advantage. "No you don't have to put me up in a hotel. You just have to find me three parking spots near power. Near water would be helpful. And yes I will be on site the whole time. If something happens on one of the other shifts and they need the network engineer on scene they will be able to wake me up. And I will have my own office space on site."

Now I am a ham radio operator and I have about $1,000 I spent on upgrades for that. And I also as I said use it for work and have about $500 in upgrades for that purpose.

But as you said it is fun. And frankly a lot more comfortable than with a hotel room.

Tags
scamp