Hello, New to RV's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: JayDee
Trailer: Researching to buy
Texas
Hello, New to RV's

Need constructive advice. Moving into a RV ASAP. The fiberglass molded RVs are more versatile & long living than other constructions from what I've gathered so far. I can't wait for a new one & also need to save as much money as possible.
My email is jdwdsgns@gmail.com. Please send leads close to SE Coastal Texas or deals worth driving cross-country.

Thank you,
JayDee
jdwdsgns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Welcome!
I think people will be better able to help you if you can describe how you want to use the RV.
- Full time or part time?
- What weather do you expect to encounter?
- How much traveling will you do?
- Where will you be traveling?
-What kind of things do you want in your RV? (TV, Toilet, Heat, Cooking, Refrigeration, AC, Lights, Radio, Computer, Massage chair, Waterbed, Hot-tub, Gym/workout room?)
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I see from other posts that you are selling your house to live full-time in the RV and that you have a 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid with a 6000# tow rating, but are open to swapping for a truck.

Two things. First, "roomy" is subjective. Everything will be tiny compared to your house. I would recommend looking at a variety of trailers of various sizes to get a feel for how big you really need to be comfortable. In general, roominess and ease of towing are a trade-off.

Conventional trailers designate their models by cabin size, while molded manufacturers designate models by overall length, including the tongue and bumper (that's the older convention). Figure about a 3' difference unless the trailer has an unusually long tongue with a storage box, so a 17' Casita is about the same length as a 14' Brand XYZ. Many molded trailers are narrower as well- again, easier to tow but not as roomy inside.

In addition to size, consider climate. Some trailers are intended for use in mild weather and others have enhancements to make them functional in below freezing conditions. As a full-timer you will likely follow the sun, but there still may be times when you're caught in unseasonable weather, like snowbirds in south Texas last month. Four season trailers are more comfortable in a variety of conditions, but they're heavier.

Conventional trailers are sold through dealers, but most molded fiberglass trailers are sold factory direct by special order. You can see conventional trailers at dealers and RV shows, but to see molded fiberglass trailers, visiting a rally is a great way to see many different trailers in one place. If you have a specific model in mind, most manufacturers have a referral program that connects prospective buyers with nearby owners for a demo. Of course right now, COVID may be affecting the willingness of owners to show their trailers.

Second and more important, RVing is a huge lifestyle adjustment, and full-timing is not for everyone. Being brand new to RVs I would highly recommend using one a while before jumping in full time. For one, whether you buy new or used, there will be some initial de-bugging. RVs tend to be glitchy compared to the typical new car or truck. Getting repairs is much harder if you don't have a place to stay while it's in the shop, and RV repair shops tend to be backed up in spring.

For another, driveway camping and short local trips are a low stress-way to learn your way around the many complex systems of an RV. There are a number of beginner's mistakes that can happen, leaving you without power, without water (or with too much water in the wrong place), without heat, with a warm fridge... Better to make those mistakes close to home.

Given everything you've said, I'll risk throwing out one suggestion: a 21' Bigfoot, specifically the 25B21RB. Four season, half-ton towable (but probably not with your Yukon), dry bath (separate shower), and very well made. If your "roomy" can tolerate a bit smaller, see also the 25B17.5FB (with wet bath), which you could tow with your Yukon. Used units come up for sale from time to time, and they sell new through a small dealer network.
https://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv...00_series.html
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I'd be REAL CAREFUL re "ASAP". As already mentioned, RVing is NOT for everyone. There's a gal in the Austin, TX area who rents Airstreams. It might be wise for you to rent a trailer for a week or two so that you have some idea as to what the RV lifestyle is like. She's on the "AirForums" and I saw her initial post there in March, 2019.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ck-200718.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=aird...=airforums.com

https://www.autoyas.com/US/Austin/11...-Entertainment

Good luck and WELCOME! John, aka FlyGuy
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #5

Texas
I'm stuck with this RV Life because I need a place to live when my home sells. Praying I find a used trailer that is road ready & has everything I need. I'm not throwing caution to the wind. I can't waste money on rent, need to hit the road, & hope for the best.

Thank you for the sage advice & welcome. I'd like to find a molded fiberglass rig that is 4 season rated & as big as possible. Then learn to live in a confined space.

Wish me luck ! God Bless us All !!!
JayDee
Old 03-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #6

Texas
Thanks much ! Great information... Jon & John

Will follow up on your advice as best I can.

JayDee
Old 03-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Key sentence above “four season rated”. The only molded FG trailers with four season rating are the Oliver and some of the newer Bigfoot’s. A lot of older Bigfoot’s are not four season rated. The prices of Oliver’s are at the top of the molded FG trailers, and Bigfoot is close behind.

So what do people do when their budget is limited? Become mobile, head to Arizona, Florida, or other southern destination in winter. Or do a lot of stuff to make their trailer marginally four season: skirting, temporary insulation over windows, etc.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwdsgns View Post
I'm stuck with this RV Life because I need a place to live when my home sells. Praying I find a used trailer that is road ready & has everything I need. I'm not throwing caution to the wind. I can't waste money on rent, ...
This is an unrealistic evaluation. RVs are not cheaper or better than paying rent unless you are willing to live a very VERY Spartan life in a very remote area. And that generally does not work out any better than having a regular home of some sort in any case. You have been warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I see from other posts that you are selling your house to live full-time in the RV and that you have a 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid with a 6000# tow rating, but are open to swapping for a truck. ...
Good research Jon.. too bad the OP did not include these vital facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
So what do people do when their budget is limited? Become mobile, head to Arizona, Florida, or other southern destination in winter. Or do a lot of stuff to make their trailer marginally four season: skirting, temporary insulation over windows, etc.
Or they look for realistic solutions to their housing needs, such as getting a roommate, exploiting taxpayer funded aid, or relocating.
Quote:
... I can't wait for a new one & also need to save as much money as possible...
Buying an RV is almost never the best option for cash strapped individuals.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #9

Texas
Sad news. I want a home until I find a better place to live. RVing is my only solution. Looking for a good deal on an RV in excellent shape, & 4 season equipped. Even considering a toy hauler. Looks like I'll have a difficult time finding places to park my RV along my way. Wish me great luck, & send positive feedback, advice, & suggestions. Having difficulty finding the best solution for on the road searching.
Thanks for your kind thoughts & suggestions!

BTW; I'll take what I can find that fits <30', basic needs for sleeping & cooking, keeping weather & water where it belongs, reliable temperature controllers, (thermostat, heater, A/C, humidifier & dehumidifier, bath+shower, washer/dryer when hooked up to power & water, an extra waste hose & ez-storage, sealed & heated underbelly, built for 4 seasons, sturdy shocks & axels..., radial all weather & long wear tires, wind & or solar power, at least 4 12v heavy-duty batteries, insurance (recommandations?) I'm not broke but VERY thrifty. Put money where it pays off, avoiding junk & rip-offs. That's the most difficult thing to do, cons & unforseen breakdowns !!!
Old 03-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #10

Texas
Not strapped, just need to be thrifty. I see many RV living pitfalls, pray to God I don't fall《♡》
Thanks...
Old 03-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #11

Registry
No molded FG trailer comes anywhere close to meeting your requirements so I’d look for something else like a larger fifth wheel. Inspect carefully! Larger fifth wheels tend to need a one ton pickup to pull them.

Note while a bigger RV tends to have the functions you are seeking they can be harder to find camping spots.

All in costs will far exceed a nice rental in a reasonable cost area. Here in fly over country rent in one town can be double or even triple the rent in another town just an hour away. People set on a specific location pay a hefty premium for it. Molded FG are best when used for ..... camping. Once you cross into full time living, you have to give up a long list of amenities, like almost your entire list.

To go full time RV on a budget, best to start with what MINIMUMS you require and slowly work up from there. Lots of van life YouTube channels. Those people are living at the minimum. Each added function adds size and cost. Many of the van life folks follow the weather to avoid the four season question.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
BTW; I'll take what I can find that fits <30', basic needs for sleeping & cooking, keeping weather & water where it belongs, reliable temperature controllers, (thermostat, heater, A/C, humidifier & dehumidifier, bath+shower, washer/dryer when hooked up to power & water, an extra waste hose & ez-storage, sealed & heated underbelly, built for 4 seasons, sturdy shocks & axels..., radial all weather & long wear tires, wind & or solar power, at least 4 12v heavy-duty batteries, insurance (recommandations?) I'm not broke but VERY thrifty. Put money where it pays off, avoiding junk & rip-offs. That's the most difficult thing to do, cons & unforseen breakdowns !!!

You are describing a house.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
You could fit a washer ,dryer and 4 12 volt batteries in most FG RV’s but you would probably have to sleep in a tent
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #14

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Glenn you never mince words!

There are places in the country where you can buy a house for less than what it will cost you to purchase the RV described and the vehicle to pull it. And your annual costs will be substantially lower.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Most RV’s are not full time rated. 4 season are usually made in Canada. Hard to find in the south and pricy. If you are only need an RV until you get money from your house. Ok. Buy small. And sell. New will be fine. It is thought after all opens people will sell RVs. If you want to keep RV for years then buy FG
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #16

Texas
Looking far & wide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Will need a fifth wheel & 1 ton! If under 36’ are my parking options to limited?8
Old 04-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #17

Registry
Of course your spots will be limited. How much depends on where you plan to camp. A one ton pickup with a 36 fifth wheel is going to be about 52 to 54 feet +/- overall length.

Generally, National Park campgrounds were built decades ago when trailers were small. Not only are sites small, but the roads weren’t designed for larger rigs either. Modern private campgrounds tend to be built for the bigger stuff, no problem. Of course, private campgrounds tend to cost the most per day. Some charge by the foot so they will be happy to see you! And some have age limits, no campers over ten years old. Private campsites in Florida in the winter cost as much or more than renting a house in my small town in NC.

My 19 foot Escape fits almost everywhere. But it doesn’t have laundry, etc. I’ve actually had sites where my 13 foot Trillium fit but not my 19 foot Escape. But that is extremely rare. My friends with a 40 foot Motorcoach have all the comforts of home, but are limited in camp site selection.