Hello! Newbie from Sunny CA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Hello! Newbie from Sunny CA

Hi All--
We just bought our 1978 13' Scamp today in S. California. It's worn but it's got good bones. Thank you for providing such a wealth of knowledge and an advance thanks for all your answers to my upcoming stupid questions.

Looking forward to the renovation.

-Cindy
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Welcome Cindy, and congratulations!! Now lets see some pics of it!!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

Name: Chad
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Arizona
Hey Cindy! Congrats on your new buy!!! I just bought my 1976 13' Trillium a few weeks back and have loved working on "making it my now" since. Hope you find the same joy in working on your Scamp! When you get a sec, can you post a picture? Would love to see how it differs from my Trillium!
Moondogyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

California
I think you should be able to view this facebook album as I've made it public. I'll continue to post on this album as we venture in! My Scamp Album on Facebook

Thanks and congrats on your Trillium!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Congrats, I bought our 77 scamp late fall of last year. The people on this site are wonderful about providing information on everything! Where to get parts, how to repair something to what works best for cleaning and polishing.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Cindy, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here. You are going to find a wealth of information here provided by kind and helpful people. If you have any questions, just ask... you'll get all kinds of help.

If you could, please post a couple of pictures here on FiberglassRV. There are people who don't "do" Facebook.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

California
Hi Donna-- Gotcha. I'll start uploading photos here directly. Here are a few beginning shots. I am furiously looking over all of the forums but I know I'm going to have questions....Like was the fabric in my scamp painted? Or was it layered with a weird foamy covering and then painted? Like why are the side windows aluminum, but the front and back are seamed in black rubber? Like why is the battery below the bench? Do people move theirs to the front to make more room, or do they want additional batteries? Oh...the questions in my mind. I am so thankful for you all already!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
cool pictures!!!

Like was the fabric in my scamp painted? Or was it layered with a weird foamy covering and then painted? It's called Ensolite... or as we lovingly refer to it Elephant Skin. It should be a whiteish or creamy color. Anything else and it's been painted, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Like why are the side windows aluminum, but the front and back are seamed in black rubber? The front and rear of the Scamp is curved. Glass doesn't curve (unless manufactured that way and it's expensive!). The plexiglass is put in and by manipulating it, creates a compound curve that's secure and water tight. Both the black gasket and lock strip can be purchased new from Scamp (and other sources) along with new plexiglass... if your trailer needs it.

Hope this helps I'll leave the rest of the answers to more knowledgable folks than me!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Cindy

Congrats on your new trailer. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy my EggCamper.

It looks like your Scamp is sitting a bit low. Could be time for a new axle especially if its the original. When the rubber torsion bars inside the axle housing wear out it will ride rough and possibly cause the tires to rub in the wheel wells. There are several threads here on how to check the axle and how to replace it if it is worn out.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

California
Thanks for all the great information! The cleaning process is an entire adventure on its own! The dirt does not stop coming off....which is a good thing! Turns out the camper is in better shape than we first thought.

The registration and title transfer went smoothly without a hitch, no pun intended. Fingers crossed our RV guy gets it road ready without too many problems!...
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile An answer

"Like why are the side windows aluminum, but the front and back are seamed in black rubber?"

The rubber is like auto an windshield, sealed all around.

The aluminum is so they open.

BTW, welcome. I hope this answered your question.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
Cindy

Congrats on your new trailer. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy my EggCamper.

It looks like your Scamp is sitting a bit low. Could be time for a new axle especially if its the original. When the rubber torsion bars inside the axle housing wear out it will ride rough and possibly cause the tires to rub in the wheel wells. There are several threads here on how to check the axle and how to replace it if it is worn out.

Orlen
I knew I was chancing it when buying this scamp inexpensively. But, um, how does one tell for sure if an axle needs replacing?